Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

GG vs Emp/zong

Chromecatz

So these are the two pretty popular decks and i was wondering:

How does GG go about battling empoleon/zong and vice versa?

I've come to my own conclusions about the matchup but i would like others opinions.

Depends, Bronzong has weakness to gardy so it can get ohkoed easily. I tried this matchup and when you get locked and wagered or with omastar and that its game. And in late game its bad for GG since they cant inflict enough damage with gallade but they can sonic blade. Dusknoir Really ruins empoleon.

So these are the two pretty popular decks and i was wondering:

How does GG go about battling empoleon/zong and vice versa?

I've come to my own conclusions about the matchup but i would like others opinions.

I spent a looooooooooooong time testing this one out. Empozong should be able to win almost every time, as long as you don't get stalled out. Even Dusknoir isn't as bad as you would think(1 more power to take damage), nor is Bronzong having weakness as Gardy can't OHKO it with out a LB anyway. My normal strategy was to get a prinplup out and aquashower as many times as you can before they KO you. Then send out a Bronzong and let it tank, get another one set up. Send out a scrambled Empoleon and set everything up to take several prizes at once. Once they KO you, send out Bronzong and let it tank, once they KO it, send up a Chatot, attach a Cess to a benched Empoleon and Wager, send out the Empoleon and sweep.

For the most part NEVER get ahead on prizes, be patient and just keep spreading. Just watch out for stalling, and you should win.

Heres an example of how much its in Empozongs favor.

At nationals I got a HORIBLE start against a Plox. This was one of those battles that from the start I knew it was going to be bad for me. Even though he took 3 prizes, I caught up and tied it for the game to go into sudden death. I had it so I could win next turn, but he KO'd my only Enpoleon. Had we had more time/I had gotten a better start I am sure I could have won. I would say the matchup is 60-40 in Empozongs favor if the player knows what they are doing.

yeah, the match for the empzong vs. gg is a good one, most of the time empzong will have the advantage, since u you can do coating with zong and do 80-90 to gallade or gardy ,the cess in the deck just slows them down so much since they rely on your opponents supporters and claydol, all you have to do is get a good set up and spread, if they lay down a chatot you have a guaranteed prize, so all you do is get 60 on the claydol and 30 on chatot, since the lv x is useless in that game you wont see it often. but all you have to do is kill 4 pokemons and kill the claydol and chatot for the last 2 prizes

60-40 empzongs favor

phoenixback4fire- i wish zong would of won,that would of made my day

IDK about this matchup, because at nats i played PLOX, and I just TORE UP Empozong. I only lost one match to it and that was because of a bad start and bad luck.

it happends ,after all this game is mostly luck upon what you draw and how each player sets up,after that is all up to the player to do the rest

Last edited:
right strategy to play this match is get a fast emp and start spread, let them flip four for it, send a zong (10 gardy 10 clay), use coating with scramble (30 snipe with emp on ralts/kirlia + 90 for coating = 120 on gallade, 20 gardy 20 clay), they will not be able to ko you with nothing, so they just attack for some damage (30 gardy 30 clay), use the energyless attack with zong ko gallade (50 gardy 50 claydol) and you will be able to get a prize whenever you need in claydol and clean everything with more emps and zongs. its a easy match for emp/zonz if you both players get a normal start.

what about moonlight stadium and Breloom like gino had, that takes care of Bronzong

you need to be losing, and man, you will NEVER be losing to it in the first turns, they will just spread, you will use a dre and another energy + stadium to ko zong, i just surf together you, and spread again.

Or the gallade with sonic blade your emp away and save its prizes for when they need it, as well as disrupting your set-up.

Or the gallade with sonic blade your emp away and save its prizes for when they need it, as well as disrupting your set-up.

I would rather have a Gallade do that then OHKO my Empoleon any day. Sonic Blade doesn't really do much to disrupt Empoleon.

actually late game that sonic blade hurts the deck a lot, depending if u have the energies to keep attaching aswell

one of the best things against that deck is to have the lvx out and make them flip the prizes and they wont be able to kill another emp with one hit again, but if the player is smart they would sonic blade

Gallade rush with Cess Lock usually does it for Empozong. Also be sure to Sonic blade almost every turn you face something with no damage.

Gallade rush with Cess Lock usually does it for Empozong. Also be sure to Sonic blade almost every turn you face something with no damage.

that depends on what version of empzong you play/if u play the cess version then that doesnt do anything except hurt urself, if they play the claydol version then you slow empoleon down some

This has been tested and pondered. I am very very certain that this is a PERFECT 50/50 matchup, and if not, like a 50.000001/49.999999 matchup, leaning on either side. It is super close.

EmpoZong's best defense is Lake Boundary, which can one-hit a Gardy, but then Gardy can equally one hit it, so there is really too much lean on either side.

Teching in one or two Cessation Crystal on Gardy's side would help out a lot, I think, as Bronzong's body wouldn't work, as long as the player was a good player and very good at when to place the Cess.

Funkalicious pretty much owns against GG, out of the so many many matches my friends and I have tested, we have only lost 3 times or so to it. Bronzong changes everything against GG.

Oh and please understand what you are talking about when you say something about a matchup. Lake Boundry is one of the least needed things in the matchup against PLox or GG, Bronzong OHKO's Gardevoir without it. Besides, Gallade is useless against it anyways. Sure it Ko's it with two prizes. But you used Coating and they already have 4 Prizes flipped on Empoleon, they can't OHKO you. If you had Lake out, you get knocked out.

Last edited:
EmpoZong's best defense is Lake Boundary, which can one-hit a Gardy, but then Gardy can equally one hit it, so there is really too much lean on either side.

Yep. It can also OHKO Gallade as long as you have managed to get in one Aqua Shower (or use PlusPower). Even if Gardy can OHKO back, the trade-off is still in your favour.

I haven't found that Dusknoir hurts Empoleon much at all. If you can spread damage a bit, then it doesn't matter that Surf Together is only doing 80.

Back