Giving a presentation on Pokemon TCG...

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by ShawofMordor, Feb 25, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

Hey guys,

The final project for my public speaking class at my university is to give a 30 minute presentation on a hobby. Obviously the first thing I thought when I heard hobby was Pokemon.

Now, what do I talk about? I need to fill up THIRTY minutes, which if you have ever given a speech is a very long time.

Ideas? I'm thinking of an intro about what Pokemon is, a brief history of the franchise and then a history of the game. This will be followed by an explanation of the rules and Pokemon terms with a description of the tournament season. Finally some deck strategy and stories about big Pokemon trips I've been on. Maybe some talk about Pokemon in society.

Anything else you think I should discuss?

2. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

What does your target audience know already

What would you like them to know at the end of your presentation.

At the end what is the single thing that you would like them to know.

-----------

Imagine the kind of questions you might be asked... how many people play, where to play, how much does it cost, how long does it take to play, can anyone play, how long does it take to learn. That kind of stuff .

3. Azure Kite

Azure Kite New Member

Agreed, once you have the facts about the audience, and you know what they already know, you know what you don't know, hence what you want to tell them.

4. homeofmew

homeofmew Active Member

I did this once. it is actually quite easy to fill up 30 minutes, the trick is to not over do it X(.. i suggest give a brief history of how Pokémon got started with the Video games and the anime, however you want to emphasize that you will be talking about the TCG. You can go into the mathematical parts of the TCG to the tournaments to the fact you can make really good friends.

5. When is it due? If you have time you can get display items from vendors as props. The hook that catches most people that have heard of it but don't know what it is , is when you talk about the Scholarship money and trips you can win. It may not be what most people play for but it gets a general audience attention. Don't bring your whole collection or they will think you are a freak. Bring in some posters for a back drop on the speech. You already know what to write about from your travels.

6. The Phenom1993

The Phenom1993 New Member

Mabey give some info on how satosi (or watever the creator of pokemon is)and how he collected insects in his childhood and then how he created the pokemon. then some info on how it got popular and then some info on tcg history tilll this day nad on some popular pokemon cards(like sneseal,slowbro,base charizard etc) and on popular decks(like flariados,lbs etc). you could explain the rules and mabey bring your pokemon collection or deck and show them a few stuff. you can also talk about WORLDS and how we get free trips.^^

Then some info on the video games and their mechanisims and storys etc.

It isn't very difficult to fill 30 minutes if ur prepared and informed. and btw just a tip look at the audince at all times. And you can practise in front of a mirror.

Hope i helped.

7. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

Are you allowed to use visual aids like a PowerPoint Presentation or something? Because if you can, an easy way to burn up time would be to put a big scan of a card up, and explain the different parts and how the game works. It would be cool to explain the different types of decks like a how a T2 deck works, and so on. The idea of giving a brief history in the begining sounds great! Good luck!

8. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

lol i wouldn't get THAT indepth on the TCG.

9. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

If you have 30 minutes to burn, why not have a sample match? Invite someone on up to come over to play a sample match, and then you can explain to the rest of the crowd the different mechanics and such.

10. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Make sure to show pictures of you at tournaments. Talk about your experiences in the game and the OODLES of people you met and that you still associate with. Talk about how you've grown since playing the game, and the prizes you've won (trips to worlds, scholarships, etc). Don't try to teach them how to play. They don't need to know how to play to enjoy hearing about the game. Tell them the history of the game and the basic idea (monsters called pokemon fight until one person wins).

GOOD LUCK

11. metricus

metricus New Member

In the Begining there was Bulbasaur.

12. Jason

Jason New Member

And in the end, its Arcesus :)

13. ZAKtheGeek

ZAKtheGeek New Member

You shouldn't really talk about the actual game mechanics too much, I don't think. I doubt anybody could really follow that just by hearing about it.

14. GOROY

GOROY New Member

Don't get too technical or jargon-y, you need to stay general and describe the game at its basics. If your audience has no clue what a damage counter is from a pokemon tool, then don't get too detailed, keep it at what they can understand.

-And throw a joke or two in there to keep them occupied, but don't get too cheesy.

15. Dom

Dom New Member

Yeah you will lose them if you go into detail they don't understand. You have the right ideas so far, you should also say WHY you like it and what drew you to it in the first place. And perhaps mention celebrities that play/have played at some point. Like William Hung, Bruce Willis, Dom Jordan etc. That might garner a bit of interest.

16. Jason

Jason New Member

Dom Jordan is not a well known player, nuff said :)

17. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

He said 'celebrities' not the same thing as 'well known player' at all.

Upcoming movie.

Bruce Willis takes on the combined evil forces of Team Galactic and Team Rocket in Die not quite so hard because Pokemon only feint. (They are still working on the title)

18. (TYranitarFReak)

(TYranitarFReak) New Member

:lol::lol:

19. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

Oh, crap I am gonna be in your story arent I? Um, let's leave out a few stories shall we? I can think of a certian "sink" fiasco and I think maybe the whole Origins "Fame Diner" story. :lol:

Um However,

I think the best way to do this is choosing whether you want to go down the road of the TCG or Video Game or Anime. I think the best choice is to Explain whihchever you know more about. I think that it would be nice to include how the game has changed over the years. I would be more than willing to help you with that Shaw. I will be seeing you soon so we can discuss ideas or history of the game that you dont know about. Like rule changes, and why cards were banned and what decks were popular back in the day and each era.

Anyway, LMK if you want some help, I would be more than willing to discuss it with you.

Drew

20. hk27

hk27 New Member

Educate the class by comparing pkmn tcg to poker or chess. Examples/ strategy/ meta-game/rougue/and math involved.