Gojira: Wrath of the Wyrm! (Eon Steelix/Xatu)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Otaku, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Gojira: Wrath of the Wyrm!
    Pokemon Cards x 21
    4 Natu SK
    4 Onix SS
    2 Suicune AQ
    3 Steelix SS
    2 Wobbuffet SS
    2 Wynaut SS
    4 Xatu SS
    Trainer Cards x 19
    2 Ancient Ruins
    3 Copycat
    2 Desert Shaman
    2 Lum Berry
    2 Mr. Briney's Compassion
    3 Professor Oark's Research
    1 Power Charge
    2 Switch
    1 Town Volunteers
    1 Warp Point
    Energy Cards x 20
    5 Fighting Energy
    4 Metal Energy
    3 Multi Energy
    4 Psychic Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy

Strategy: Concept is pretty simple: Steelix stands up front, slowly loading their bench with damage. After its injured enough, it can just Rage for KOs. Thanks to the Xatu, I should be able to keep it with a reasonable amount of damage (usually very little). I included Lum Berries to aid in healing Special Conditions, the one thing that can really slow me down. Suicune handles Fire, and Xatu can play cleaner if everything is nearly dead.

2. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Another weakness is your opponent attacking your Bench (i think u've run into that a few times, haven't u...;)). Anywat, this is a beast if u get it up and running. Gr8 deck overall.

-Swampert

3. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

Overall I like the deck. The Pokemon have a good combination between them and a great deck against the EX's. A AQ Steelix could help out with the first attack.

4. swanton1717

swanton1717 New Member

The deck looks pretty neat, but use Switch over Lum Berry.

Anyway you are from Iowa which is close to Missouri, are you coming down for the cash tourney in a week?

5. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Swampert: only when I can't power up anything to attack. :p

True Gamer X: AQ Steelixs first attack is fast, but also cant be used twice in a row half the time. ALso, in the long run, it's inferior to Spinning Tail in terms of damage. It is a thought though, and I will consider it.

Swanton-I tend to encounter a lot of Mirage Stadium decks, usually with Poison.

"Silly Otaku, Switch will get rid of the poison."*

Yes, but only after I take damage. And then there is Mirage Stadium-it means my Xatu only have a 50% chance of retreating. Finally, remember that I can attach Lum Berry and not have to worry about shuffling it away. Again, I will think about it.

*from the little voice inside my head

6. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

-1 Card (dont know)
    -1 Steelix SS
    +2 AQ Steelix
    or just
    -1 card (dont know)
    +1 AQ Steelix

Drop Lum for a Switch and Warp Point

-2,3,4 Fighting for 2,3,4 Warp Energy. With Rainbow dont need F energy at all really.

What I have effectively done???? Made AQ Steelix a big early gamer. High HP, early Attacker of the bench. With at least 1 Xatu in play, Steelix can easily be benched and brought forward anytime you flipped tails. 7-9 Bench retreaters. Also helps abuse Xatus power. Example, active has 20 damage, and benched has 10 damage. 3 Xatu in play, with a Switch/Warp Energy-Point and you can heal both. AQ steelix hits for little damage, while big bad SS Steelix gets powered. Then switch out once powered.

Well??? whadda you think?

7. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

The good thing about this deck is that its powerful without any EX pokemon. :thumb:

8. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Well, other than Gardevoir and Mewtwo ex, none of the Pokemon ex really wow me anyway.

Spectreon: I may try it-its just sooooooo luck dependent. Not just flips, but draws. Lastly, should status become popular (and if you guys don't make it, I'll change gears and prove how sick it can be now myself). ;) Overall, the second looks like a good idea. I don't know if a steelix without Metal (why would I waste it on AQ-the point was that it could attack for CC) will really last that long though. Even with healing, its just 100 HP. Most big attackers will hit it for 50-80 in a turn. Even with mass healing, it will take some luck to keep it going. The beauty of the SS Steelix is that I bring it up and can rage if I want to. Normally though, it keeps next to no damage on it so I just use Spinning Tail. Having to wait two turns to use it usually doesn't matter-I am doing 20 to everything a trn! 4 Turns fails all but the heartiest Stage 1s (and most stage 2s). If that Steelix were a basic or something, so I didn't have to spread my resources so much, it probably wouldn't matter. Having to lower the count of my main attacker kinda worries me. Please don't let this disuade you: as I said, I may try it. I just can't play yours irl (no AQ Steelix).

9. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Benched Amphys dont resist Steelix's attack, maybe active 2, dont recall....

10 Energy other than teh Steel on Steelix, true. But with Steelix doing damage all around, dont see Gardy putting a lot of extra energy in play with its power. Thats 40 a round to a Pokemon who gets powered by Gardy and hit by Steelix.

Steelix can be brutal to Blazekin though. 1+ steeled Steelix can withstand Blazes Attack, then bash it for massive damage with Rage. Almost anything cn KO it with an extra tink hit.

I think this deck will see more problems with Blaze than anything else. It Fire type, and extreme quickness is brutal compared to Steelixes slow set up IMO. Depending on Luck can go toe to toe with Gardi most of the time. Amphy can be contained, but for added incentave, add a Retro or 2. Takes a High damaged Steelix, rids Para if needed, then Rage for KO.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2003
  10. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Didn't you look at the whole deck?

This was kind of funny. Spectreon caught some of the counters for those decks. Of course, any Pokemon ex will ahve to deal with SS Wobbuffet. Gardevoir/ex can actually have many variations. One is "Turbo", which hates this deck-if it can't OHKO Steelix, Rage will prbably finish it off (or Ffet). The more balanced ones face the problems Spectreon mentioned. As for Blaziken/Exeggutor, try taking what you said for match ups and swapping partners. Suicune can OHKO a Blaziken, or half kill it and put it to sleep. Exeggutor faces Resistance and Metal. Then there is the fact that even an almost dead Steelix can be hard to KO... since it might have 2-3 Metal Energy on it. Oh, and there are the Xatu for Healing.

Retro is a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.