Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Good Basic Water Pokemon?

0bserver

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive list of good back Water Basics?

The list is filling up. Thanks!

1) Kyogre EX (R/S)
2) Mantine (NG)
3) Wooper (NG)
4) Articuno (F)
5) Qwilfish (NR)
6) Lapras EX (R/S)
7) Lapras (F)

Last edited:
0bserver said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive list of good back Water Basics?

The list that I know of:
Lapras (F)
Mantine (NG)
Kyogre EX (R/S)

I'm sure I'm missing many, though.

Oh, and to relate it to this forum, it is for a Raindance deck.

For a water basic... well I'd play like a Wooper or something in there... just to stop the Electric decks that are gonna be a real pain. Other than that... As you listed Kyogre... umm Lapras EX ain't THAT bad.

I know this isn't a Pokemon... but it's actually sorta decent in the deck... Pokemon center/Fisherman/Energy stadium/any thing else that retrieves energy. Just Pokemon center.. then get the energy back and attach right away. It's like a water version of Venucenter in some ways. :D :clap:

As a long time veteran of Raindance - and thusly, of water basics ;) - allow me to add my $0.02 to this conversation.

Ultimately, I believe the best water basic for non-evolving purposes is Wooper from the Neo: Genesis expansion. Amnesia is nice and can help to stall for a while, and Slam offers okay damage. But the best part is its resistance to electric. He's saved me quite a bit, that he has. ;)

~Tash

Satoshi said:
As a long time veteran of Raindance - and thusly, of water basics ;) - allow me to add my $0.02 to this conversation.

Ultimately, I believe the best water basic for non-evolving purposes is Wooper from the Neo: Genesis expansion. Amnesia is nice and can help to stall for a while, and Slam offers okay damage. But the best part is its resistance to electric. He's saved me quite a bit, that he has. ;)

~Tash

Satoshi is right, that is the Wooper I was thinking of. It's the best one. :)

i don't really know much about the cards that have recently come out or anything (no money.. ugh..)
but i think genesis quifish is decent (really... poison sting can be VERY helpful..)
mantine is a good one too (genesis) and i'm also fond of the southern islands lapras for some reason... (yeah i'm weird o.o)

You forgot LC Articuno its not too bad and pretty solid but this all depends what you need the basic water pokemon for

What I think of

I think

Ex lapras
Articuo(fossil, lc, promo)

Are the good cards :thumb: you can put in in raindrance deck...

:clap:

Hope you ike it.

*blink* We're talking about Raindance here?

Okay, stand back and let me work. :D

For a Raindance, you generally want to have VERY FEW backup hitters, as Blastoise should be doing most of the work himself. I usually steer clear of Articuno and Lapras, simply because they're energy intensive (use a LOT of one energy color) and aren't really _that_ good at what they do; namely, hurting things.

As far as backup water types in a Raindance go, stick with one or two NG Wooper and call it a day. Maybe even a nonholo Suicune from NR to keep people from gusting your Squirtles before they evolve. :)

~Tash

*blink* We're talking about Raindance here?

Satoshi,

I have to disagree if we are talking classic Raindance then I would run 3 Fossil Articuno and 1 Fossil Lapras and Blastoise would be my cleaner with Articuno doing all the work and Lapras being situational.

And these days I would run Kyogre EX as that is just sick with Raindance...

Last edited:
ukpokemonpro said:
And these days I would run Kyogre EX as that is just sick with Raindance...

Unless I'm not playing Raindance right, Kyogre EX, while it has won me a couple of games by itself in my deck, isn't that mad good.

That said, I do think it is the best of the bunch that you guys listed. To that effect, I organized the Pokemon in order of what I thought that the best Basic was. Just a fun little thing. :)

I have a bit of experience using Mantine and, for the most part, was a surprisingly good card. It was a staple in my Kingdra (NG)/Sneasel deck (retired over a year ago).

Last edited:
believe it or not, in the few grass decks I've had, NR Qwilfish was my choice. Against fire decks, this card saves my behind quite a bit. 2 colorless for 20x damage "flip a coin until you get tails." Once I did 240 damage to this guy's Charizard. Fire Spin 100 damage... bah!

Erm why would you not want to do 60 2nd turn and 10 to each bench?

add a strength charm and that's 70 dead BBP

I guess your not playing it right?

No, observer is correct. Kyogre ex is utter garbage...it's attack is nice, but if you want to do damage to the bench with massive defending damage, go with Articuno.

Trust me, though...bogging yourself down with biggies like Lapras and Arty will make your Raindance clunky and hard to use. That's why I stopped.

Back