Good Basic Water Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by 0bserver, Aug 6, 2003.

1. 0bserver

0bserver New Member

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a comprehensive list of good back Water Basics?

The list is filling up. Thanks!

1) Kyogre EX (R/S)
    2) Mantine (NG)
    3) Wooper (NG)
    4) Articuno (F)
    5) Qwilfish (NR)
    6) Lapras EX (R/S)
    7) Lapras (F)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  2. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

For a water basic... well I'd play like a Wooper or something in there... just to stop the Electric decks that are gonna be a real pain. Other than that... As you listed Kyogre... umm Lapras EX ain't THAT bad.

I know this isn't a Pokemon... but it's actually sorta decent in the deck... Pokemon center/Fisherman/Energy stadium/any thing else that retrieves energy. Just Pokemon center.. then get the energy back and attach right away. It's like a water version of Venucenter in some ways. :D :clap:

3. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

As a long time veteran of Raindance - and thusly, of water basics ;) - allow me to add my $0.02 to this conversation.

Ultimately, I believe the best water basic for non-evolving purposes is Wooper from the Neo: Genesis expansion. Amnesia is nice and can help to stall for a while, and Slam offers okay damage. But the best part is its resistance to electric. He's saved me quite a bit, that he has. ;)

~Tash

4. YoungJohn06

YoungJohn06 New Member

Satoshi is right, that is the Wooper I was thinking of. It's the best one. :)

5. SailorClef

SailorClef New Member

i don't really know much about the cards that have recently come out or anything (no money.. ugh..)
    but i think genesis quifish is decent (really... poison sting can be VERY helpful..)
    mantine is a good one too (genesis) and i'm also fond of the southern islands lapras for some reason... (yeah i'm weird o.o)

6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

You forgot LC Articuno its not too bad and pretty solid but this all depends what you need the basic water pokemon for

7. KayLynn

KayLynn New Member

Black-star promo Articuno (22) is good in some decks. :)

8. mew2sb

mew2sb New Member

What I think of

I think

Ex lapras
    Articuo(fossil, lc, promo)

Are the good cards :thumb: you can put in in raindrance deck...

:clap:

Hope you ike it.

9. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

*blink* We're talking about Raindance here?

Okay, stand back and let me work. :D

For a Raindance, you generally want to have VERY FEW backup hitters, as Blastoise should be doing most of the work himself. I usually steer clear of Articuno and Lapras, simply because they're energy intensive (use a LOT of one energy color) and aren't really _that_ good at what they do; namely, hurting things.

As far as backup water types in a Raindance go, stick with one or two NG Wooper and call it a day. Maybe even a nonholo Suicune from NR to keep people from gusting your Squirtles before they evolve. :)

~Tash

10. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Satoshi,

I have to disagree if we are talking classic Raindance then I would run 3 Fossil Articuno and 1 Fossil Lapras and Blastoise would be my cleaner with Articuno doing all the work and Lapras being situational.

And these days I would run Kyogre EX as that is just sick with Raindance...

11. 0bserver

0bserver New Member

Unless I'm not playing Raindance right, Kyogre EX, while it has won me a couple of games by itself in my deck, isn't that mad good.

That said, I do think it is the best of the bunch that you guys listed. To that effect, I organized the Pokemon in order of what I thought that the best Basic was. Just a fun little thing. :)

I have a bit of experience using Mantine and, for the most part, was a surprisingly good card. It was a staple in my Kingdra (NG)/Sneasel deck (retired over a year ago).

12. mariuspnx2

mariuspnx2 New Member

believe it or not, in the few grass decks I've had, NR Qwilfish was my choice. Against fire decks, this card saves my behind quite a bit. 2 colorless for 20x damage "flip a coin until you get tails." Once I did 240 damage to this guy's Charizard. Fire Spin 100 damage... bah!

13. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

Erm why would you not want to do 60 2nd turn and 10 to each bench?

add a strength charm and that's 70 dead BBP

I guess your not playing it right?

14. Satoshi

Satoshi New Member

No, observer is correct. Kyogre ex is utter garbage...it's attack is nice, but if you want to do damage to the bench with massive defending damage, go with Articuno.

Trust me, though...bogging yourself down with biggies like Lapras and Arty will make your Raindance clunky and hard to use. That's why I stopped.