Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Good Budget Deck Post Rotation?

sh0ryu_repp4

As stated in my last post I am getting back into the game after a LONG hiatus. Entering a tournament at a local convention I have recently discovered that the tourney will be post rotation and the deck i wanted to make, Delphox BREAK, will be borked after rotation.

So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good budget deck post rotation?

Any and all advice helps, thanks everyone!

well i figure a serious competitive deck would be very expensive. really im looking for a deck that will serve as a good pair of training wheels for getting back into the game. then after this con tournament i can work on my "real" deck. I do not want to spend over $100. I mean if i can get a serious competitive deck for that much great, but i doubt it lol

basically something that isnt super competitive but isnt complete garbage either.

I have been told that Raichu/Garbodor and Yveltal/Zoroark are good places to start.

A lot of a Pokemon deck is the interchangeability of the trainers. I run leagues and when I build decks for new people who come in to league, I look for 1) what pokemon they have a quantity of, and 2) their trainers. From there, I consider the skill of the player and deck. Here, you asked for competitive. If you can secure the following cards, then the pokemon can mostly be swapped in and out.

Mandatory:
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Lysandre
2 Skyla
3 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
3 Trainer's Mail
1 Professor's Letter
2 Escape Rope / Switch

Situational:
1 Hex Maniac
1 Archie's Ace in the Hole
1 Maxie's Ace in the Hole
1 Teammates
3 Rough Seas
3 Silent Lab
3 Skyfield
3 Rare Candy
3 Crushing Hammer
1 Enhanced Hammer

I would add 4 VS Seeker to the list but those are currently $10 minimum for 1 so that may have to wait.

You won't use all of these cards in the same deck or all of the quantity in the same deck but you will want them all on hand because these are the majority of trainers in every deck.

A lot of the cards in the mandatory list have been reprinted several times and all are about $.75-$2 each (so, trading 1-2 lackluster-average EX will get you most of the cards). Some of these cards you will find in theme decks. A good way to start in pokemon is to get an Elite Trainer Kit and a theme deck and/or tin of the same set. With that, you get 5 of each type of basic energy, a simple structure of the deck, and a good opportunity to get cards to trade.

I also encourage you to go to a league. There, you will find people looking to trade cards and can pick up promo cards. Professor's Letter and Escape Rope, for example, were promo cards last year and I still give it out at my leagues from time to time, as well as Skyla, Crushing Hammer, and Enhanced Hammer.

Hey thanks man! This is great info! I will definitely get the trainer box/tin to start off and then try to get the rest from your list. I definitely need to see where the leagues are. Does the Pokemon TCG site have a list of stores that are signed up? Can't look now cause I am at work :p

But thanks!

I would ask you if you live in a country like the United states, Canada, or one with enough support and stores, to do 2 things. First is visit a store that has a league and or singles for sale. Buying singles is the best way to go in a TCG, but you probably already knew that. However, another option to buy singles is TCG player.com, I have only used it in Canada and USA though. But the prices will probably be much cheaper if you are ordering a lot of cards and only pay 2-5 dollars per order.
A semi-usable deck would be typhlosion, as it doesn´t use many cards since half of the deck is energy.

I would ask you if you live in a country like the United states, Canada, or one with enough support and stores, to do 2 things. First is visit a store that has a league and or singles for sale. Buying singles is the best way to go in a TCG, but you probably already knew that. However, another option to buy singles is TCG player.com, I have only used it in Canada and USA though. But the prices will probably be much cheaper if you are ordering a lot of cards and only pay 2-5 dollars per order.
A semi-usable deck would be typhlosion, as it doesn´t use many cards since half of the deck is energy.

I live in the US and I play DBZ competitively so i know that two of the stores I go to for that are also great Pokemon stores. i will check out tcgplayer.com tho since i usually go to troll and toad. thanks for the tip!

Back