Good idea? GCN Pokemon:TCG + CaC

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by dkates, Sep 1, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. dkates

dkates New Member

I thought of this last night. First, let me say that I don't expect this to happen. It shouldn't be terribly difficult (relatively speaking) to make a Game Cube version of the Pokemon TCG that would far outdo the old GB version. Specifically, I think they could work in the following improvements:

• Updated card pool. Include all the sets printed so far, Promos, maybe even some of the Japanese cards that never came over. I would expect at least the following cards to be left out, though -- Fossil Ditto (Rulings nightmare), Brock's Ninetails (ditto Ditto), Genesis Sneasel (overpowered), and Genesis Slowking (ditto Sneasel).
    • Better attack animations. Use the Game Cube's awesome graphics to show us what these attacks look like!
    • Modified option. This one could be difficult, because each player would have to have a different decklist for each, but maybe have different settings to use the card sets that were/are legal for each format -- Unlimited, Rocket On! Modified, Neon Modified, Eon Modified. Maybe even an "Old School" option to cut out later sets (I'd be especially surprised).
    • And the biggest, most complicated, and most unlikely addition, a Create a Card engine! It would have to be pretty modular, and probably Pokemon only -- have a number of options for each part of the card, and make attacks and Pokemon Powers by putting together different costs and effects. Maybe use a "Creation point" system similar to MHZ's article about costing attacks. Higher HP amounts, lower retreat costs, and positive effects for attacks/Pokemon Powers cost Creation points, while attack costs, negative effects for Pokemon Powers/attacks, lower HP, and higher Retreat Costs add Creation points. Based on the total number used (or some other formula), rarity would be assigned, the game would put the text in order, and there you go! The hardest part would be art -- not sure how that would be done.
    So, does this sound like a good idea, or is dkates finally going crazy?

2. Red5bv06

Red5bv06 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Sounds like a great idea.
    I do think Sneasel and Slowking sould be left in, though, for those Unlimited lovers out there (maybe with the Japanese version of Slowking?).
    Doing the different modified options wouldn't be hard to do, apprentice does it, and it works really well.
    They could also generate a sealed play option, that would be really cool (maybe even a draft option).

But the no. 1 feature I would like to see would be updateability with E-reader! How hard could it be? The new Pokémon games have trainers and berries you can load onto the cart (only in Japan right now, but hopefully stateside soon). Let's do the same thing with adding new cards. It would help sell a lot more.

Now, unvariably this will never be made, but its fun to hypothesize about it!

3. dkates

dkates New Member

Speaking as someone who often plays Sneasel, Red, I feel he needs to not be there -- or, at the very least, be limited in some way. Sneasel and Slowking, together or separately, have made for an annoying situation in Unlimited -- for each, to have a decent chance of winning, an Unlimited deck, nearly invariably, must play it, counter it, or both. Together with cards like Tyrogue, Focus Band, Chansey, Pichu and Electabuzz (to name a few -- there are more), these cards have caused the pool of playable deck types in Unlimited to be whittled down to a small fraction of what it once was. On Slowking, the use of the Japanese version is a good idea -- Slowking fans still get him, but he becomes far, far less broken. E-Reader updates? Very good idea! Wish I'd thought of it! Since the new cards are being made E-Reader compatible anyway, why not include data to update this game? I wonder if there's a way to suggest all this to Nintendo, or if they're already working on a project similar to this...

4. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Online game play would make it really fun.

5. Red5bv06

meh, I guess I don't play unlimited enough to know the true power of Sneasel. Don't include him them.

Maybe there could be a mode using the Japanese point system. Since I'm sure this game would probably be made in Japan first, this could be likely. Finally give us a taste of the Japanese metagame. The only problem would be updating the list.

Then maybe a make-your-own format mode where you ban any card you want.

If they had a create-a-card format, I believe it should be limited to only being able to save 2-4 original cards. This would prevent people from having entire decks of their own cards, but would let them put some of their own twist into their decks.

I'm just throwing out ideas here. You can tell I would buy this game in an instant. :D

[edit] Oh, and online play would be a blast. Bye-bye apprentice! I wish Nintendo would get their online play set up (PSO is the only game out that goes online that I know of).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2003
  6. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

I'm thinking that there would be Connectivity to the E-reader, and you could download the cards onto the Save cartridge through the game, so you'd never have to worry about updates. On the E-series cards, the bottom part is the Pokedex info, the left is E-reader and game stuff, let's chuck the card data on the right side (the GCN doesn't have the power of Patches, like the PC does), so that you wouldn't have to worry about your TCG on GCN being out-of date!!! Any good?

7. Red5bv06

I was implying E-reader connectivity (in fact I explicitly said so). When I said updating the list, I didn't mean the list of cards, I meant the Japanese restrictions list. It is my understanding that new cards are put on the list, some cards get higher ratings, and some get lower ratings on a fairly regular basis. I could be wrong, but I believe at one point it was updated every 3 months or so.

But this brings me to another point. This is hypothetical, using our current situation. Say the game comes out will all formats currently available. However, soon, Nintendo changes the format to Exon. How will we change the format on the game? Apprentice can do it, but it involves tinkering with the information files. Obviously, you can't do this on a GCN game.

So, so far the major glitch we've found in this game is the formats. We'll have to work on that. No problem with the Pokémon, we can get them all in the game.
    Oh, which reminds me of another point. What about holos that normally don't have dot code? Ignore those or spend the extra cash to get those imprinted, too. I dunno if Nintendo would go for that.

Anyway, there are some flaws in the system, but maybe a bunch of programmers at Nintendo are sitting around a table trying to work it out right now! Here's to a great idea!

8. dkates

dkates New Member

Actually, a solution to the format question has been suggested -- user defined formats. Have a few formats built in, and have an option where each set can be included or banned individually. As far as new cards, the info can either be put on the cards, as has been suggested, but there is another option. When a new set comes out, make available an "information sheet" with the dot codes needed to update the game with every card in the set.

9. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

Usually, I consider online to be an utterly pointless addition to a game. However, in reference to updating sets, it makes pretty good sense. When a new set is available, you download all the cards, maybe some booster pack designs, and whatever applacable rule/format changes.

Playing online: Meh.

10. Tego

Tego New Member

Playing online has a point in this game, because the (most likely quite) dumb CPU players wouldn't be challenging enough. Playing real humans over the 'net would be more fun. Just look at Apprentice. Who doesn't love Apprentice? ;)

11. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

I'm thinking there would be Split-screen, PkmnStadium style, and if you could link 2 GCN's together like you (apparently) can with an (su)X-Box, then you could play over the link so each person couldn't see each other's hands. Either that, or use the GBA connectivity for displaying your hand of cards.

Um, what is Apprentice???

12. Red5bv06

Apprentice is a program for playing Magic: The Gathering online, but it has multiple patches to adapt to Pokémon or just about any other TCG.