4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
4 Buck's Training
4 Rare Candy
3 Leftovers
3 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance

Strategy!
Leftovers, Health Energy, Cresselia Lv. X, Bucks training ! They all help to control the ammount of damage on Typhlosion and on the defending pokémon, making typhlosion's 2nd attack deadly. Setting OHkO's with all of this support is incredibly easy. Make typhlosion stay out of the ko range but damage him as much as needed to make his rage attack as powerful as possible!
Unown! bombs 20 damage out of nowhere anytime you need them.
Typhlosion MT helps the energy flow and is a good attacker aswell!

Nice challenge card, i really enjoyed it !
Hope you like it,
Agustin!

Pokmeman

No entry

Acutin: 16 (9/3/4)
Pokememan: 0

WINNER: Acutin

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

~~~BULLADOS VS BLAZI-KING~~~
Bullados

Pokemon (22):
3 Typhlosion UF
1 Typhlosion MT
2 Quilava MT
4 Cyndaquil MT
1 Unown P MD
2 Dusknoir DP1
1 Dusklops DP1
2 Duskull DP1
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
1 Azelf LA
1 Azelf lvX

Trainers (22):
4 Roseanne’s Research
4 Bebe’s Search
4 Rare Candy
2 Cynthia’s Feelings
2 Night Maintenance
1 TSD
3 Felicity’s Drawing
2 Warp Point

Energy (16):
4 Call
6 Fire
6 Psychic

Yes, this thing is insane. Most players will try and think up ways to keep Typhlosion alive while still using his Body and Rage to the greatest effect. My idea is instead to embrace the self damage that Typhlosion inflicts by ensuring that he’s Knocked Out and loses prizes after taking a couple with Rage. UF Typhlosion is obviously the initial main attacker, dealing 50+ damage pretty quickly, especially with Typhlosion MT out there accelerating Energy out of the Discard. Just send up a UF Typhlosion, and let it attack until it’s KO’d. Then keep running through the UF Typhlosions until you lose 3 or 4 of them. Use Unown P to ensure that you’re always at least coming close to KOs with every attack. And, if you somehow don’t have enough energy to attack, you can always do 30+sleep with Flickering Flames.

You’ll probably have taken 3-5 prizes after losing your Typhlosions. Now, you send up Dusknoir, a BEAST in the late game. A 120 HP stage 2 that disrupts your opponent’s setup AND deals massive amounts of damage once your opponent has taken prizes. Just having a Duskull on your bench completely changes how your opponent plays his game. There might be some random TecHy card like Azelf or Uxie that he just won’t be willing to play because then they’re stuck with it sitting there for the rest of the game. Getting up to Dusknoir is simply the strongest part of this deck. Late game comebacks are his specialty. Azelf is there to ensure that you get all of the Pokemon that you need, especially some of the singles. Azelf lvX takes advantage of energy accelerators by simply dropping anything on your opponent’s field in a single shot.

Now, how to make sure that this sets up as quickly as possible. For the current Modified Format, I’ve identified a Power Four of cards that must be included in every Stage 2 setup deck. Roseanne’s Research, Bebe’s Search, Rare Candy, and Claydol. I have yet to see a successful Stage 2 deck in this format that doesn’t use all four of those cards. Cynthia’s Feelings is pretty much a staple in all decks right now, but is even more important where the self KO is the main strategy. Felicity makes sure both that I can keep drawing cards and that Typhlosion MT can accelerate energy quickly. TSD and Night Maintenance are virtual deck staples, and I’ve found that 3 between these two are about the right number. Warp Point ensures that I can throw back my opponent’s big baddie when I need to. Two is usually enough, with the insane amount of card drawing and searching already in this deck. I’ve had it happen to me multiple times where my opponent would hold on to a Dusknoir waiting for a Warp Point to completely wreck my setup and leave me with some crappy Pokemon active.

Time to defend my numbers here.

The 4-2-3-1 Typhlosion is to both streamline and create consistency at the same time. I’d prefer to use 4-3-3-1, but with 4 Rare Candy, it’s usually enough. I just want to get to my Typhlosions as quickly as possible, especially the MT one, because that’s my acceleration after turn 2.

The 2-1-2 Dusknoir is higher than most decks use because it’s such an integral attacker. It’s lower than for a normal main attacker because Azelf is there to get whatever I most need out of my prizes.

The lone Unown P is there as a PlusPower in most situations. Because it’s a reusable PlusPower, there’s no need for a lot of them in the deck. My bench usually shouldn’t be full, so using one spot for Unown isn’t too big of a disadvantage.

The 2-2 Claydol is pretty much a standard in decks right now. I’ve seen people trying with odd evolution chains like 2-3 and 3-4, but I’m fine with using 2-2. I’ve never had a problem with Claydol using this setup.

The lone Azelfs are there as TecH and as a final attacker, or as a TecH attacker against accelerator decks such as Leafeon, Togekiss, and Typhlosion. Plus, the Azelf gets me more Pokemon when I most need them.

The maxing of the Roseanne, Bebe, and Candy are all standard deckbuilding procedures. These cards are simply so powerful that NOT running 4 of each is ludicrous in my mind. I haven’t seen a competitive setup deck yet run fewer than 4 of each of these.

Felicity at 3 is to make sure that I can get it early enough for it to be useful for Typhlosion MT’s use. Plus, it’s just a darn good draw card that’s useful in many to all decks.

I would like to add in another Cynthia, but the additional Warp Point I think will turn out more beneficial when combined with Dusknoir than the additional cards off Cynthia would be. Besides, with Claydol and Felicity, I’m in no real danger of running short of cards at any point.

I’ve found that decks in this format pretty much need three recursion cards. I like TSD, but my coin flips are terrible. Still, it’s worth the one spot in my deck if I can get some kind of insane donktacular recovery off some random KO late game. Night Maintenance is simply a powerful card that should be abused when necessary.

Stage 2 Setup decks LOVE Call Energy. Plus, my main early game attacker only needs one colored energy. Just because the card makes any Basic Pokemon a viable Starter, it’s useful in this deck.

I’ve been debating about the appropriate number of each type of energy in this deck. I went from 4-8 to 5-7 to 6-6. The battle between using MT Typhlosion’s power verses ensuring that Dusknoir is powered up as often as possible is huge. I figure that it would take some testing to decide the actual weight of the energy. For now, it’s enough for them to be equal.
Blazi-King

-22-
4 Cyndaquil MT
2 Quilava MT
3 Typhlosion UF
1 Typhlosion MT
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Mareep
1 Ampharos
2 Bronzor
2 Brongzong
1 Azelf
1 Spiritomb.

-23-
3 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
3 Professor Oaks Visit
4 Cynthias Feelings
1 Stark Mountain
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance

-15-
4 Call
3 Psychic
8 Fire

The concept behind my deck is very weird in theory but should work very well. The object is to get up Ampharos and Brongzong to get damage spread around on pokemon fairly quickly. Thus requiring Typhlosion to be active less...I put 1 Thyphlo MT in to help power bench stuff I can attack with. IE: Brongzongs or Tyhplos. I decided that stark mountain was needed to help power an active pokemon that happens to be active or may be forced active because of some unforseen action, like a untimely warp point or the likes. The one spiritomb is in here to help power up Typhlo UF's attack combo'd with its body, in theory acting as a double plus power, placing one on my opponent and one on my for Rage. Azelf is in there just in case something is prized that I may need due to the low lines on the pokemon like brongzong, spiritomb, and the low quilava count.

As for the trainers I maxed out on bebe's & rare candy for consistency, opted for 3 Roseanne due to the 4 call energy, and went with the traditional 2 warp points and 2 night maintenance. Feelings combo well with claydol when you dont get 8 and when you do its that much better...Claydol'ing then using that feelings to get you a potential 8-11 cards (based on experience). Plus with Typhlo's damaging body, its makes it easier for your opponent to knock you via damage.

Bullados: 12 (8/3/4 -3 tardy deduction)
Blazi-King: 15 (8/3/4)

WINNER: Blazi-King*

*As a side note, I would have chosen Blazi-King's entry regardless. I felt that it was just an extra shade better, but due to the tardy deduction, I didn't have to express it in numbers.

~~~BURNINATING TORCHIC VS OCTILLERY49~~~

Burninating Torchic

Oh man I totally forgot about this. Good thing I remembered in the nick of time... hopefully this won't suck because of its last minute-ness.

Pokemon: 23
3 Voltorb SW
3 Electrode SW
3 Cyndaquil MT
2 Quilava MT
2 Typhlosion UF
1 Typhlosion MT
1 Cresselia MD
1 Cresselia Lv.X
2 Rayquaza LA
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
1 Chatot MD

Trainers: 24
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
3 Felicity's Drawing
3 Rare Candy
4 Energy Pickup
2 Stark Mountain
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

Energy: 13
4 Call
5 Fire
4 Electric

Strategy:
You will hopefully start with Electrode (hence the 3-3 line), but it isn't the end of the world if you don't - Rayquaza is probably the only really bad starter in the deck. Basically, blow up and Electrode or two to get some KOs and attach the 'trodes to your Typhlosions. When 'trode blows up, bring up a Typhlosion and take advantage of its burning aura - sort of like what Burning Liability did when it blew up Weezing.
While it's true that there's only 2 UF Typhlosion in the deck, it's still one of your biggest attackers. A 4-2-3-1 Typhlosion line would've been preferable if there was space. With electrode, MT Typhlosion, and Energy pickup, getting the three energy required to use Rage onto UF Typhlosion shouldn't be hard. There's also Rayquaza - not only is it a big backup attacker, but the energies it picks up with its power can be moved to Typhlosion with Stark Mountain. Felicity's Drawing can be used to get energy into the discard pile quickly to be Rayquaza'd, Energy pickup'd, or Firestarter'd.
Chatot is in there to help bad starts, and Claydol is there for its usual role. The tech 1-1 Cresselia Lv.X line can be very helpful at times, barely saving your Typhlosion from killing itself with Burning Aura and/or doing the extra 10 damage needed to knock something out.

I think that's just about it... most of the trainers and energy are self-explanatory, but there's the explanation for the Pokemon lines.

Octillery49

POKEMON: 19
Stage 2: 4
4 : Typhlosion, UF-17
Stage 1: 4
2 : Claydol, GE-15
2 : Quilava, MT-60
Basic: 11
2 : Moltres MD-10
1 : Chatot, DP-74
3 : Unown P, MD-33
4 : Cyndaquil, MT-79
2 : Baltoy, GE-60

TRAINERS: 25
Trainers: 8
3 : Potion, SW-127
4 : Rare Candy, GE-102
2 : Night Maintenance MT-113
Supporters: 14
3 : Professor Oak's Visit, SW-122
3 : Bebe's Search, MT-109
3 : Roseanne's Research, SW-125
2 : Team Galactic's Wager, MT-115
1 : Cynthia's feelings, LA-131
2 : Stark Mountain
3 : Technical Machine TS-1, LA-136
Technical Machines: 3

ENERGY: 16
Special Energy: 7
3 : Multi Energy, MT-118
4 : Call Energy, MD-92
Basic Energy: 9
7 : Fire Energy, DP-124

Strategy:
Use Unown and Typhlosion's Body to add damage to Rage.Claydol for draw. Potion heals the damage you're doing to yourself if needed. Technical Machine TS-1 and Call energy are you're starter
engine. Moltres and Stark Mountain adds some energy accel and serves as a counter for Kingdra decks playing lake
boundary.

Burninating Torchic: 12 (7/3/2)
Octillery49: 7 (7/3/3 -6 for tardiness)

WINNER: Burninating Torchic

~~~MADHATTER VS BROSIUS~~~

MadHatter

Pokemon: 19
4 Cyndaquil MT
2 Quilava MT
3 Tyhphlosion UF
1 Typhlosion MT
1 Unown E MT
1 Unown P MD
2 Pineco LA
2 Forretress LA
1 Baltoy GE
1 Claydol GE
1 Azelf LA

Trainers: 26
4 Rare Candy
4 Pokeradar
4 Roseanne's Research
2 Night Maintenance
2 Switch
3 Felicity Drawing
4 Bebe's Search
3 Stark Mountain

Energy: 15
4 Call
11 Fire

The strategy of this deck is to attack with Typhlosion’s Rage attack. Instead of waiting for your opponent to damage you, you can attach to Forretress and if you flip tails, you put 2 damage counters on every Pokemon, which powers up Typhlosion; which is a great boost to its Poke-Body. Then you can move the energy from Forretress to Typhlosion with Stark Mountain. In addition, Unown P can also add damage onto your Typhlosion’s to accomplish more damage. Unown E gives you 10 more HP so you can last that one extra turn you may need. The tech Typhlosion MT is so you can get your fire energy back you discarded with Felicity.

Brosius

No entry

Madhatter: 17 (8/5/4)
Brosius: 0

WINNER: Madhatter

Last edited:
congratz Madhatter a 17/20 is crazy scoring

the rest of the scores should be up soon hopefully

I may do another pod tonight, and I am 99% sure that I'll do a pod tomorrow (technically today here in central standard time)

I had it, only as a single PlusPower kind of deal. Typh doesn't really need the help most of the time. It's already dealing 60 for 3, and then it just gets better as they pile damage on the thing.

Now that I look at them again, I'm kinda wondering how BK's deck was better than mine, outside of the 3 point deduction. His deck tries to avoid two of the three aspects that make Typhlosion good. Mine embraces his greatest power (b/w turns damage), takes advantage of his attack (Unown P), and utilizes his first attack in a pinch. His seems to avoid using Typhlosion at pretty much all costs. I don't see how he gets the same Card Use score as me, and I don't understand the Creativity score at all. I can agree on the Deck score, tho...

Creativity in that match was comparable. While there were neat ideas going on with both sides, there wasn't "that" much going on with your idea beyond Azelf level X and Dusclops in terms of extra goodies. Likewise, Blazi-King didn't have that much going on besides rehashing an old deck from last format. Although my grading system doesn't allow me to articulate this well, I feel that both of those "3"s barely qualified.

Card Use was pretty good on both fronts, but again, this in my opinion was another case of you both barely qualifying for it.

Your Dusclops idea was extremely clever, and was the most exemplary thing I had seen for the entire division. You also played Unown P wisely, so that you could activate Typhlosion instantly.

He did a good job of making it so that mid and late game, anything they sent up would be outright creamed by a Typhlosion. Also in his list, the Spiritomb ends up being very versatile, amounting to a triple pluspower.

Now, I always try to remind you guys that the type of grading in a one vs one match can - and should be - arbitrary/based on my discretion. The points are only secondary to the result, because in single elimination format, I use the points to justify my reasoning.

Back