Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Has anyone been caught cheating at R/S Challenges?

Not that I've known of; but the the events are only in their second weekend. Sadly, I'd guess that there will be, if there haven't already...

Perhaps this is rather OT, but...is it just ME, or does anyone else get an uneasy feeling down in the pit of their stomach when reading threads asking how, in every detail, are the GBA carts and/or sealed decklists being checked at the R/S challenges? If one has trained/raised their team legally...why would one CARE how the carts are checked? And if one has NOT...well, is it wise publicizing how the checks are done so these individuals can 'work' the system? And please note that I am NOT in any way accusing ANYONE of anything...

I'd like to suggest that details about the 'team checks' be omitted from R/S Challenge reports...but that's just me...

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
=\

It's extremely hard to check for cheating on the GB games, the only real way I know of how they did it in the past game boy tournaments was to simply check for max stats on every pokemon. Since it's like a MIRACLE that you can even find a SINGLE pokemon with maxed out stats, an entire team is like an obvious sign of a hacked game.

On the other hand, I read a tournament report awhile back from someone at a GB tournament who I know was an extremely good player (of the GB game). He had put COUNTLESS hours into his game, and had actually caught and raised an entire team of pokemon at max stats. Someone accused him of cheating, and the judges wouldn't let him use his GB cart during the tournament because of that. Luckily one of his friends loaned him a team so he could play.. but still...

Finding a cheater is incredibly tough to do in the GB game =\

Well, if that's the case...this person had put hours and hours and HOURS into his game...wouldn't that show up in the trainer screen upon startup of the saved game? So that would be yet another 'check'...max stats, but not enough hours to have achieved that for an entire team...

'mom

Good ideas Mom

SD PokéMom said:
Well, if that's the case...this person had put hours and hours and HOURS into his game...wouldn't that show up in the trainer screen upon startup of the saved game? So that would be yet another 'check'...max stats, but not enough hours to have achieved that for an entire team...
'mom
Keep 'em coming Mom! All are good suggestions, and I back you on not discussing game checks.

Yup, like 'Mom says, the Hours Played should be astronomical for a maxed-out team. Plus, check the stored party boxes. if most/all the stored pokemon are also maxed, well, unless there's like millions of hours-played....

Hours of play would be okay, unless the Pokemon came from a different cartridge.

It is difficult to tell (without using special tools) to tell if a cartridge has been tampered. There are some easy tips for the TOs to reach that conclusion - we included it with the R&S Challenge kit.

The real rule of thumb: Be wary.

Most cheating takes place when the opponent isn't paying attention to the game. If you're getting bad vibes about your opponent, take extra time to think about what is going on. Ask innocent question about the game status...this means talking - "Wow! I didn't know Pikachu could get that attack. I might have to raise my Pokemon differently next time." Or for the trading card game, asking questions like..."How many cards do you have in your hand?"

Your goal is not to disrupt the other player. It is to put your mind at ease, that you're playing a good and honest player - just like the person that you are.

heh if anyone brings in the Hydro Pumping Salamence, I'm sure that there will be confusion (apparently it can learn it by breeding with gyrados)

Gameboy
Many people can catch there Pokemon using Gameshark. One way to check if they have been caught illegally is to check where the Pokemon was caught by checking it's info, like that Feebas can only be caught on Route 119. (I searched and searched and finally found it after 2 whole hours) Another way is to check what kind of PokeBall the Pokémon was caught with by looking at it's info and seeing what color the PokeBall is, masterball being a purple one. In the game, I think that you can only get two masterballs at the most. I have gotten both of them by winning that one Trainer ID contest and getting one at Team Aqua's hideout. So, if all of there Pokémon have been caught with a master ball, you know that they did something to cheat.

TCG
For the TCG, each card has an ID number on the bottom of them that should be similar or exactly the same as the other cards in the booster pack they came in. For example, if you get a Mudkip and Skitty in the same pack, they should both have the same or similar ID numbers.

Personal Experience
During the R/S Challenge at San Diego, I battled one kid who was undefeated and remained undefeated. When he got out his deck, he asked me if he could switch some cards with some others, which you can do. Now that I have thought back to this, and I remembered that I looked away or something and was watching something, and he put his deck on his lap and went through his backpack. Unfortunately, I had not checked to see what he did and now I remember that he kept getting Manectric and Electrike during the game, so he could have added one too many cards in his deck or cards that he had got at another time, and not during the beggining of the tourny when we got our 6 packs. I am not accusing this person of anything, not that it would matter now, but I now find it kind of suspicious how he kept getting the same Pokemon, with an occasional different one. Anyways, its way too late now to accuse anyone of cheating and hey, I'm happy because I came in first for my division and just got the code to buy stuff at PokemonCenter.com, so I ain't complainin. :)

I think a better question is "Is anyone actually going to these things?"

After talking to Daytongymleader it seems nobody is. I believe he said for Columbus and the one in Pennsylvania they had a total for the two events of 18 people!!

I don't really think there is any sure way to catch people, well unless they haven't played that long and have maxed pokemon

"mmm about the masterball thing, can't one be attached to ure poke and sent over to a friend?'

With only _two_ maximum available in the game? Pretty good friend, if you ask me...

About the attendance: I'm guessing part of the problem is publicity...and advance notice. With the start of school approaching fast, I'd guess a lot of the few available weekends left are already 'booked' ...that was the problem for my league families for the SD R/S challenge.

'mom

I really dont thing there will be much cheating at any of the events, but I am doing a couple things to make sure anyways at the Salt Lake City one.

I have three Master Professors that will be helping me with the tournament. After a player pays for the tournament, they will go to a table were some of the Master Professors will be who will give them their six packs of R&S. They will have to open the packs in front of the MP and check them off on a list of R&S that I have made. The list will then be keep to check players decks against if needed.

As for the GBA part of the check, they will have to go to another table that will be set up to have one of the Master Professors check which Pokemon they are going to play with, the level, and the hold item that each have.

Just the things that I am going to us to make sure everthing goes good for all the players wanting to play

mmm about the masterball thing, can't one be attached to ure poke and sent over to a friend?

Yes, but it is highly unlikely that all of your PKMN will have been caught by a master ball.

About the attendance: I'm guessing part of the problem is publicity...and advance notice. With the start of school approaching fast, I'd guess a lot of the few available weekends left are already 'booked' ...that was the problem for my league families for the SD R/S challenge.
For the EX Sandstorm tournament, I think that everyone will be in school by then. I know I will and am hoping they won't be giving us a welcome back to school report. That could cause another low turnout unless people tell other people at school about the tourny. I know two people I am going to tell, but am hoping that one won't think they are too good to talk to me since it will be my first year of High School. Also, is there anyway to advertise about the tournament besides on the internet? Maybe we could get Nintendo to advertise on TV about the EX R/S challenges, the new leagues opening up, and the EX Sandstorm tournies. Anyone close friends with them?

SD PokéMom said:

Perhaps this is rather OT, but...is it just ME, or does anyone else get an uneasy feeling down in the pit of their stomach when reading threads asking how, in every detail, are the GBA carts and/or sealed decklists being checked at the R/S challenges? If one has trained/raised their team legally...why would one CARE how the carts are checked? And if one has NOT...well, is it wise publicizing how the checks are done so these individuals can 'work' the system? And please note that I am NOT in any way accusing ANYONE of anything...
JMHO,
'mom

The reason I asked in an earlier thread is because I don't want to spend weeks training pokemon, and 2 hours driving to the event, just to be cheated out of a prize. If there is no good way to check for sharkers, I may not compete.

Water Pokemon Master said:
Also, is there anyway to advertise about the tournament besides on the internet?

Gym Leader Blaine has given out about 500 flyers in the Salt Lake area advertizing our Challenge.

Do you think it is possible that they could advertise on TV. After all, if they are trying to get new players to get involved, how do they expect people who know nothing about any of this to check out a Pokémon website? That is probably why all of the players at the San Diego R/S Challenge that I met had already been playing the game.

Water Pokemon Master said:
Do you think it is possible that they could advertise on TV? After all, if they are trying to get new players to get involved, how do they expect people who know nothing about any of this to check out a Pokémon website?

Each TO is given a budget to run and promot the events. I looked at having the tournament advertise on radio Disney in Salt Lake City. It doesn't cost much per ad played, but the sation required a minimum of radio ads to be run that was way over the budget given. Most Magic tournaments are advertised in Comics and other magazins. This tournament was put together rather quickly. Maybe in the future when there is more time, Nintendo will be able to promote events in Nintendo power or even other card magazins.

Gym Leader Blaine said:
Each TO is given a budget to run and promot the events. I looked at having the tournament advertise on radio Disney in Salt Lake City. It doesn't cost much per ad played, but the sation required a minimum of radio ads to be run that was way over the budget given. Most Magic tournaments are advertised in Comics and other magazins. This tournament was put together rather quickly. Maybe in the future when there is more time, Nintendo will be able to promote events in Nintendo power or even other card magazins.

They should have thought about advertising before they rushed to start all of these tournaments. How much do you want to bet that everyone that will be going to these tournaments won't be someone new to the game? They might as well just have these for the current players if they aren't going to take the extra effort to advertise besides having the TO's doing it if they can't even afford to put an ad on the radio. Agree?

Back