Help! Need info on Inquest article re top selling CCGs!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by meganium45, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

I saw on pojo.com this morning reference made that Pokemon was the #6 selling CCG at this time, from the January, 2004 Inquest. Is there such an article that I have missed?

Could someone please run down the top 10 for me, with any data the article presented!

Thanks for your help

Meganium45

2. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Pokemon, in 2003 alone, has been hitting fifth and sixth on most of the TCG sales charts found in every issue of Scrye (I've never read Inquest before). The data used would most likely come from the manufacturer of the TCG, though no source is printed. Perhaps you should email both?
    -Phil

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

What's ahead of it though?
    And does it take into account sales from both WotC and PUI?
    It doesn't seem to make sense that it would be down that far. What could be ahead? NeoPets? I find that hard to believe.

4. GordonKane

GordonKane New Member

InQuest Gamer Top 10 (Jan 2004)

1. Magic: The Gathering
    2. Yu-Gi-Oh
    3. Lord of the Rings
    4. Dragon Ball Z
    5. Legend of the Five Rings
    6. Pokemon
    7. WWE Raw Deal
    8. Yu Yu Hakusho
    9. Warlord
    10. A Game of Thrones

DBZ was highlighted as the "Big Mover".

With M:TG, YGO, LotR, DBZ, and L5R releasing new sets - it stands to reason why they have the top spots. I'd like to see how steeply the figures fall off from there (considering that Warlord and A Game of Thrones are in the 1/2 price discount bins at the stores in my area).
    Also interesting that you DON'T see - NeoPets, dot HACK, HumAliens, Initial D.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  5. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

I find it extremely hard to believe that Legend of the Five Rings sold more than Pokemon.I`m not knocking it but in every game store I`ve been in from here to Pennsylvania the last year,hardly sells much of it and people that play it are few and hard to find at said stores.Also,in my area,the Pokemon TCG was only outsold by YuGiOh barely three months ago and I think Magic and YuGioH the two months ago due to the new releases.I`m not sure of December`s until I talk to the store owners.

`Sensei

6. WaRrIoR04

WaRrIoR04 New Member

wow

i agree this is pretty hard to believe even hard for me to believe dbz and lord of the rings is ahead of it due to the popularity in my area and surrounding areas

7. GordonKane

GordonKane New Member

This wasn't for the year - just for the period (for a Jan issue - probably from no later than mid-November) that means the retailers they polled (anywhere from 1 to 1000) gave them these rankings.

I know of a store in Texas where L5R outsells everything. But then a game like Magi-Nation also outsells everything but Magic, L5R, and Pokemon on that list (in that particular store).
    I know of another store in Texas where DBZ always was their #2 seller behind M:TG -- and Yu Yu Hakusho does well there too.

In the interviews around the Top 10 (with Alex Schvartsman of King Games [NY/NJ], the manager of Neutral Ground [NY], and the owner of Battle Zone [Atlanta] -- only King Games said they had a high demand for Yu-Gi-Oh). It all depends if the kids or the adults rule your local store.

8. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I also think that it doesn't take into account non-gaming, retail stores.
    All that you find for sale at those is YGO, Pokemon, and Neopets.

9. Sensei

Great point `Pop.That is very true.You won`t find most of those other games,but you will find Pokemon,YuGiOh,and NeoPets.I think the gauge they use for their rankings needs to be rethought.

Bringing up Gordans point about a few stores having different strengths in selling is also true.I have seen that in the many gaming stores around here(at one store DBZ was a strong seller but at all the others it wasn`t).It all depends on the store and how they promote the games they have.If they support it by demo`ing,having tournaments and such,then usually the sales of that game will be better at that store.However,bringing back my original point,I based it on my experiences on many stores-from Va. to Md. to Pa. and I don`t think that LotFR even comes close to Pokemon.The only thing that comes close,or passes it in some instances,in these many stores is YuGiOh and Magic.

`Sensei

10. TeamRocket4Life

TeamRocket4Life New Member

Lord of the Rings is the biggest TCG in my area. I personally love it. The fact that you can play with a limitless amount of people in one game and still make sense of what's going on is amazing.

11. marril2k

marril2k Member

Actually, at my store, Jumpgate, L5R is a big game (right after Magic...). It has its weekly league and strong fan base which from what I have seen is really strong. In fact, at the next GamesWeekend (a local gaming convention run by Jumpgate), there will be a day long L5R tournament with a really slick sword on the line with some other nifty prize swag (or at least according to my GW sheet...).

-marril

12. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

It always used to be :

Duellist for Strategy and Articles
    Scrye for Prices and bits and bobs
    Inquest for when the Fluffy Neopets had run out and you needed something to wipe with ;)

13. Sensei

Thats cool.As a few of us stated above,you`ll have your stores that have supported different games and the ones that are supported the most(i.e. demo`s,tourney`s,leagues,etc..) will be the most successful for that store.In my travels,I have found hardly any LotFR players or support(this doesn`t mean it`s not there).I personally have known in Pa,Md,and Va.(to my knowledge) only one person that played the game and can only remember offhand 1 incident where someone came in the store I was at asking for it out of the many times I`ve been to all the stores and I`ve known and/or have met alot of people in the various different gaming interests I have.

So,we know it`s out there and thats a good thing for the LotFR game and I really like those prizes.But from what I`ve seen,is why I remarked that I seriously doubt that LotFR outsells Pokemon.

`Sensei

p.s. `Pro,LOL.So true.So true.

14. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Some of us write for them, ya know. -_-

15. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

I will try to avoid using any pages with your stuff on it then ;) Anyway the Neopets are softer :) Inquest is just for emergency use ...

16. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

If I were to redo the top 5, it'd look something like this:
    1. Magic the Gathering
    2. Yu-Gi-Oh (but its dead, so this will be gone within the next 6 months)
    3. Pokemon
    4. Neopets (very big because its just starting out)
    5. DBZ (It was big before, vut will eventually grow due to the release of the DBGT CCG)

17. Jeremy Badeaux

Jeremy Badeaux New Member

M:TG will always be the top name on that list

I've also noticed that Yugioh is dying(the more recent yugioh tournament turnouts have only been around 8-12 people at Dragons Alley)

Pokèmon has done pretty well in Salem.
    In case you didn't know, we've been having some bad weather, but we still get about 14-16 people a league.

Neopets started out dead in Salem(people don't seem to like the thought of losing the game because somebody rolls a 6 three times in a row).

To be honest, I don't know just how popular dbgt will be.
    Score told all of the players that the games(z and gt) would be completely compatable,and they promptly turned around and started making them as different as day and night(different backs, stronger attacks in gt, 16 stages above 0 instead of 10, ect...).

18. Tego

Tego New Member

Legend of the 5 rings and DBZ selling better than Pokémon? That's tragic - if it's really true.

19. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

Oh well. What can we do? (Wait for PUI to do something special this year! Hopefully...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.