Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS: Unleashed Horsea Misprint

gameryamen

My wife bought a pack from the new set last night, and pulled a Horsea (#49). The upper left corner of the card seems to have been stained with blue ink during the printing. It came out of the pack that way, and doesn't rub off. You can see a picture of it by clicking here.

My question is, does this sort of misprint happen often (or at least often in relation to misprint frequency)? Does this card have significant collector's value?

Thanks!

EDIT: Changed the link to go straight to the picture, instead of asking you to download it.

Last edited:
Usually if there is a misprint, it's in the ink. It's the most easily mess-up-able part of the card creation process. Something of this caliber, though, is rare. Sometimes there is slight variance in the thickness if inks, or maybe a bubble like the old Jungle Butterfree, but usually it's barely discernable, or fairly small. That horsea is indeed a major screwup.

Whether or not it increases the collectors' value boils down to how many of that error show up. HSU is a new set, so this sort of thing could have slipped in under the radar. It's the first I've seen though, and I keep track of errors. The last big error we had IIRC were a few cards slipping into packs without their corners being rounded. Those are worth much, much more than the normal version. Since horsea is a circle, though, I wouldn't expect anything too groundbreaking. I'd hold onto it for a while, and then see if there's someone you can get a good deal from. ^.^

Back