Houndoom/Absol Modified Deck

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Carrington388, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

This is the first deck I've built in awhile, so bear with me here. It's definitely not perfect.

Pokémon (15)
    4 Houndour (w/Feint Attack) (Aquapolis)
    3 Houndoom (EX: Dragon)
    3 Absol (EX: Dragon)
    3 Magmar (Expedition)
    2 Trapinch (w/Rock Smash) (EX: Dragon)

Trainers (20)
    4 Copycat (Expedition)
    4 Power Charge (Expedition)
    4 Mr. Briney's Compassion (EX: Dragon)
    4 Town Volunteers (Aquapolis)
    4 Moo-Moo Milk (Expedition)

Energy (25)
    4 Darkness Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy
    17 Fire Energy

The main line in the set is Houndoom. In both forms it can use the Feint Attack to attack anyone on the Bench. Houndoom also gets the bonus use of Flamethrower, which does a chunk of damage at the expense of sending a Fire Energy to the discard pile. Those ghosts had better watch out!

No Houndoom? No problem. Absol is the secondary Darkness Pokémon. Not only can it get cards discarded from your opponent's hand, but if you're trailing, its other attack gets a boost. Magmar also takes advantage of the Fire Energy, which can burn with one attack and do up to 40 Fire damage with the other, great for fighting Grass or Steel Pokémon with the Weakness.

But what to do if your opponent is nagging at Houndoom/Absol's Weakness and has a Water Pokémon prepared? Call Trapinch. It has the possiblity to Paralyze with one attack and do up to 30 Fighting damage with the other, and no Fighting Energy needed.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm playing Trapinch with no Vibrava or Flygon. It's because I'm boycotting Vibrava and Flygon because I will only play such a card unless it's a Fighting Pokémon, its proper type (of a grand total of five cards made of them, the number of cards of its proper Fighting type total zero). I'm also boycotting the Colorless Lati Pokémon simply because they're not Psychic Pokémon which they should be or I won't play it. (Believe me, those Pokémon will eventually get proper-type releases. I mean, look at Delibird--it didn't get a proper-type release until Skyridge, but it did get a proper-type card.)

As for the Trainer mix, since an old standby of mine isn't playable in Nintendo Modified (Energy Stadium), I had to put in extra Energy to compensate the loss. Nevertheless, Copycat for drawing, Power Charge for returing Darkness/Rainbow Energy to your deck, Mr. Briney's Compassion to get Pokémon out of trouble, Town Volunteers to return Pokémon to your deck, and Moo-Moo Milk for healing.

What do you think of the deck, and how can you improve it? (And no, don't go suggesting Vibrava or Flygon. That suggestion will be ignored.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  2. babayaga

babayaga New Member

Hi there,
    I hope it's just a typo, don't you mean if you're losing then Absol's attack is boosted?

"Prize Count 20+ If you have more prize cards left than your opponent, this attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage."

regards,
    :unknown-b

3. dkates

dkates New Member

Too many Energy cards, IMO. You yourself, Carrington, even mentioned on the topic of my Steelix/Xatu deck that a good build for a deck is 20-20-20. Personally, I often aim for something more like 18-24-18 in E-on, but that's beside the point -- it's still pretty close to 20-20-20, which I agree to be a good build for an E-on deck. That said, I'd drop about 5-7 Fire Energy for 3-5 more Pokémon and up to 4 more Trainers. Trust me, 18 or 20 Energy cards is still plenty. Due to some of the changes I'm going to suggest in the next paragraph, you may also want to replace 2-4 of your Fire Energy with Multi Energy.
    On the topic of Pokémon, I'm puzzled as to why you would choose Trapinch for your tech, when none of your Pokémon are weak to anything that's Fighting-weak. Instead, your Pokémon are weak to Fighting themselves (and Water, but Water isn't very popular other than maybe Suicune and Kingdra ex), so you would probably want to use Psychic and/or Water Pokémon as tech (most Fighting-types played in E-on are weak to one or the other). I recommend Sandstorm Wobbuffet and Aquapolis Suicune for those roles. If you do need to tech against Water, Sandstorm Electabuzz is very good for that role. By the way, I couldn't find any mention of a Magmar card like the one you mentioned. Are you sure you have the right Magmar?
    Your Trainer engine is, in a word, not very good. Town Volunteers is useful, but you don't need 4. 1 is almost always enough, 2 at most. Also, Copycat may be a good draw card for Modified, but there are better ones -- Bill's Maintenance (not popular, but I think it's good), Juggler, Professor Oak's Research, TV Reporter, and Desert Shaman are all good cards to turn to for draw/hand-changing. 2 or 3 Power Charge should be sufficient. Briney's Compassion is more useful on Pokémon with higher HP -- you're better off with the smaller healing, like Moo-Moo Milk, so drop the Briney's Compassions. You'll need them for other Trainers. You may want Switches and/or Warp Points for board control. Searching is also a good thing to have. The best search cards I can think of, not necessarily in any particular order, are Master Ball, Oracle, and Fast Ball. Another card that may be useful, depending on your metagame, is Crystal Shard. Some of the new Dragons are resistant to Fire, but most of them are Weak to Colorless.

4. Dek

Dek New Member

In a deck like this, where you have one evolution line, I would suggest this:

-6 Fire energy
    +4 Wally's Training (searches your deck for an Evolution for your Active Pokemon)
    +2 Zangoose (very useful against Rayquaza ex, Salamence, Flygon, and Dragonite ex)

5. HYPER EEVEE

HYPER EEVEE Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

I like your deck but you cant have a family of dark pokemon and another group of dark pokemon

6. b0n3z

b0n3z New Member

...hum...you play with 64 cardz...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.