Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Houston Regionals - April 17 (Main thread)

Team Cook

When: April 17, 2010

The Pavilion Centre at Sam Houston Race Park
7575 North Sam Houston Race Parkway (Beltway 8 between I-45 & I-59)
Houston, Texas 77064

Times:

9:00 am to 11:00 am - Registration and deck checks
11:10 am - Seating for Round 1, introduction of judges and announcements
*11:20 am - Round 1 begins

* As always this is our goal. We may be off a few minutes.

Lunch break will be after Round 2. We will have a large concession stand at the Pavilion.

This tournament is Modified Constructed which means any cards from Diamond & Pearl or newer are allowed. You can find the OFFICIAL Regional Deck List right here,
http://pokemonbuzz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=296&t=2855

As always, reprinted older cards are allowed in play. Feel free to visit pokemon.com for a complete list of reprinted cards.

No fake cards, copies of cards, or proxies are allowed in play.

A deck list is required, the list must match your deck card for card, and the deck list must be in the exact order as your deck or we will not check your deck.

Your deck list is your registration into the tournament. No deck list, no entry, it's that simple.

Please note that you are responsible for what's in your deck.

ALL PLAYERS will have their decks checked prior to Round 1, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Loaner decks will be provided to those that don't have the correct cards or have no cards at all.

Prize Support for the actual tournament. Each age division will the same thing.

Top Cut (Playoffs) - up to top 32 players from each age division and we will take the maximum allowed. 128 is the magic number for top 32.

1st place:

1500.00 Scholarship
Trip to Nationals
Trophy
36 booster packs
Pokemon playmat & cap

2nd place:

1000.00 Scholarship
Trophy
36 booster packs

3rd & 4th place:

Trophy
36 booster packs

5th - 8th place:

18 booster packs

9th - 16th place:

9 booster packs

And don't forget about all the door prize drawings and contest winnings.

Directions:

1. Coming from the north on 290 - Come on down 290, when you get to Beltway 8, head EAST, going LEFT. There will be a flyover so make sure you're heading EAST on Beltway 8. Once on Beltway 8, you'll exit Gesner. Go through the light PASSING Gesner. You will come up to Sam Houston Race Park and you will turn into GATE 2. It's the ONLY gated entrance off the Beltway feeder road. VERY SIMPLE.

2. Coming from Houston on 290 - Come up 290, when you get to Beltway 8, head east, going RIGHT. Once on Beltway 8, you'll exit Gesner. Pass through Gesner, coming up to Sam Houston Race Park and you'll turn into GATE 2. It's the only gated entrance off the Beltway feeder road. VERY SIMPLE.

3. Coming from the north on I-45 - Come down I-45, when you get to Beltway 8, head WEST going RIGHT. You will go through 1 toll (1.50). Go through toll, go down a few miles, exit Gesner. You'll make a U-TURN ant Gesner, stay on feeder road, turn into GATE 2. It's the only gated entrance on the feeder road. VERY SIMPLE

4. Coming from Houston on I-45 - Head north on I-45, when you get to Beltway 8, head west, going LEFT. You'll go through 1 toll, go a few miles, exit Gesner, make the U-TURN at Gesner, staying on the feeder road, turn into GATE 2 at the Park. It's the only gated entrance on the feeder road. VERY SIMPLE.

5. I-10 East or West - Two ways to get there. Coming into Houston, you can take the Beltway all the way around, exiting Gesner, see above directions OR come into Houston, take I-45 North towards Dallas, see #4 for the rest.

ATTENTION EVERYONE - Once you pull into Sam Houston Race Park, you will look to your left, park in FRONT OF THE FIRST WALK IN GATES, THE FiRST WALK IN GATES. There will be a park employee at the gate and you will walk through a turnstile. The Pavilion Centre is straight dead ahead inside the gate. Parking is FREE and yes you will be able to come and go as you please.

ATTENTION EVERYONE - GATE 2, GATE 2, GATE 2, that's the GATE you need to go through and it's the ONLY GATE on the feeder road. From whereever you come from, just exit Gesner and you'll get there.

------------------------------------

Hotel information:

I couldn't work a great deal with any hotel so here's two options. Feel free to check out hotel.com and type in the zip codes 77064 & 77069.

1. EXTREMELY CHEAP - Homestead Studio Suites / 13223 Champions Centre Drive / Hou, TX 77069 - WARNING - these rooms are very small but if all you need is a place to sleep, then this is the place for you. It's even got kitchens with a full size fridge, microwave, oven/stove top. The one bed room comes with a queen size bed and it runs 37.99 + tax. The deluxe is a queen with a pull out sofa bed and it's 47.99 + tax. Add 5.00 if you want wireless internet. Great price but very small. There's a Whataburger in the parking lot along with Pappasitios. Y'all can playtest at Whataburger, because you won't any room in the hotel rooms. For the POKEMON PRICE - call 281-397-9922, password POKEMON. Only 6 miles from the Race Park.

2. Regular priced - Hilton Garden Inn Houston Northwest / 7979 Willow Chase Blvd / Hou. TX 77070 - Give me two days to get this set up but the price will be around 95.00 for one night.

3. STAY AWAY STAY AWAY - Best Western, 1/2 a mile from the park, VERY BAD REVIEWS (Beltway 8 @ Gessner) STAY AWAY. Stay away from any hotel in the Greenspoint area, not a good area at night time, trust me. If you choose to look around, stay in the Willowbrook area.

-------------------------------

Contests - See Post #3 on this thread

-------------------------------

Seating for 420 players with room to grow and plenty of room to move around. Two huge outside patios with lots of seating indoors and out.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting more information.

PLEASE - Let this thread be about Regionals. If you choose to debate the location or complain about anything, feel free to post your concerns on the other Houston Regionals thread.

I WILL NOT post anything on the other thread regarding this event.

Time to have some FUN.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Regional contest list: This is for PLAYERS ONLY.

1. Custom Pokémon T-Shirt contest - Take a plain colored t-shirt and do what you want. Your art can be on the front, back, or both. The more the better, anything goes, must be Pokémon related ONLY. Juniors & Seniors will be judged together and Masters will be separate.

2. Cosplay - Dress like your favorite Pokémon or character. Head to toe, whatever. All age divisions will be judged together.

3.Mardi Gras Pokémon - Make a mardi gras Pokémon beed necklace. Anything goes as long as it's Pokémon related. I'll have my Pikachu necklace. All age divisions will be judged together.

4. Create-A-Card contest - Simple, create-a-card, we'll judge on FUNNY. We want FUNNY, CRAZY attacks, pokebodies or powers. Anything boring will get thrown away, lol. We want FUNNY. FUNNY ONLY. Juniors & Seniors will be judged together and Masters will be separate. Entries must be turned in at front desk when you arrive.

5. Pokémon drawing contest - Simple, draw something, lol. All entries must be on a regular 8x11 piece of paper or cardboard. Drawings need to be done at home, we won't have coloring supplies at the tournament. All age divisions will be judged separately. Entries must be turned in at front desk when you arrive.

6. Mystery Pokémon - We'll have two giant PokeBalls with a Pokémon figure in them. Guess what Pokémon and win packs, it's that easy. This has been a big hit every year. You never know what Pokémon I'll put in the PokeBalls.

7. Pokémon Spirit - Wear a Pokémon t-shirt, get an extra ticket for the door prizes. SHIRTS ONLY, no exceptions. Yes, Custom Pokémon t-shirts will get an extra ticket.

9. Bring-A-Friend - Bring a friend, you get a booster pack, your friend gets a Pokemon poster. Rules are the friend MUST be a new player, no pop id, never played in a tournament before. We've had this every year and it's been a lot of fun. The new players have had a blast spending the day playing Pokemon.

10. Door Prizes - We'll have door prize drawing throughout the day for all players.

Last edited:
Do we get to do some betting while we're there =p

And BTW

I've already won.
It's true
Don't even bother showing up.
You'll enter the room and Mike will say
"Sorry, but Jeffrey already won. I know round 1 hasn't started, but facts are facts."

I'm bringing OK's best to take the Glass home.

Just sayin'.

We're definitely going to be partyin' it up down there over the weekend!

Do we get to do some betting while we're there =p

There won't be any horse racing the day of our tournament but one of our huge outside patios sits next to the race track. Actually April 3rd is the only day of racing in April.

NOTE: There will be no betting of any kind in our building and players won't be allowed entry into the main building next door. Pokemon is separated by building and walk in gates.

:( The School was a good location RIP School Location.
This is closer to me though that's the good part.

There won't be any horse racing the day of our tournament but one of our huge outside patios sits next to the race track. Actually April 3rd is the only day of racing in April.

NOTE: There will be no betting of any kind in our building and players won't be allowed entry into the main building next door. Pokemon is separated by building and walk in gates.

Who said I was gunna bet on horses? :biggrin:

CALLING ALL BETS FOR TOP CUT FIRST ROUND!!!!!
=p

In all seriousness, are we gunna have any side events going on? Contests? Special Doorprizes for bringing someone or wearing a Pokemon Shirt?
Also do you know of any good food places nearby for lunch/snacks? (I live in Houston, you'd think I'd know =/)

In all seriousness, are we gunna have any side events going on? Contests? Special Doorprizes for bringing someone or wearing a Pokemon Shirt?
Also do you know of any good food places nearby for lunch/snacks? (I live in Houston, you'd think I'd know =/)

All this will be answered in the near future and will be posted on the first post. Anytime I add new information I'll post that I've added information to the first post and you can scroll up.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

:( The School was a good location RIP School Location.
This is closer to me though that's the good part.

Yes, the school is a great location but by the time I was notified to run Regionals, the school had already been rented to someone else. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
Team Cook- I would like to say thank you very much for announcing this and arranging a tournament site. I will definitely attend and I hope to beat some of the best TX Seniors while I'm at it!

Hey boys and girls, don't let the Park address fool you. I will provide EXCELLENT directions for you. My advice is to ignore the actual address, I'll explain later.

Team Cook- I would like to say thank you very much for announcing this and arranging a tournament site. I will definitely attend and I hope to beat some of the best TX Seniors while I'm at it!

I'm not a senior, but i know couple of north texas seniors that are going to give you a hard time, just to keep in mind.:thumb:
Not in a particular order:

Dale L.
Ketty F.
Erick E.
David M.
Jacob T.

Those are the once I remember top cut most cities.

Last edited:
Simple directions have been added to POST #1.

Y'all CANNOT miss the race park, lol. It sits on Beltway 8. No side roads, no neighborhoods, very simple to get to.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Question for all the out of towners wanting a hotel room.

DO you want nice and comfy at around 100.00 +

OR

Do you want extremely cheap, semi comfy, not bad, small rooms with a small kitchen, good area, but can stay for two nights for a 100.00?

Please PM me, let's not clog the thread about hotel rooms.

Let me know asap.

Last edited:
Back