Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How big will infernape 4/Luxray GL be?

Stigma

At nationals, how many Inferay decks do you think we'll end up seeing? I'm not too big of a fan of it - It's a LOT better on paper than it is in-game, and its general matchups aren't very solid...

Infernray? I've been told it's clunky, but the fact that they tech well for each other and they have low energy cost attacks, and it can be crazy fast, I think we will see a couple. I know I have debated to play it.

I personally think anything with Infernape 4 in it will be decent

Kingdra totally eats it like peanuts with butter.

What?

All you need is a Lucario GL with Luxray it's hitting for 120 then you have HQ, Crobat and Skuntank.

And you can tear there field apart and get rid of all thier Claydol's.

I think this deck will be as big as Lego's and you should be prepared.

Kingdra really doesn't like having its Claydols dragged out and Poisoned with Skuntank G, or OHKO'd.

If Luxray/Infernape techs 1-1 Dialga G, it doesn't care about Mewtwo either.

Flygon is the worst match up - Lightning Resistance, and everything with free retreat.

I find the deck a lot better in play than on paper. Its speed and disruption give it an advantage over most other decks.

Kingdra really doesn't like having its Claydols dragged out and Poisoned with Skuntank G, or OHKO'd.

Flygon is the worst match up - Lightning Resistance, and everything with free retreat.

I find the deck a lot better in play than on paper. Its speed and disruption give it an advantage over most other decks.

Most lists (good ones of course) dont have the room for stadiums and skuntank G. But that doesnt mean they cant OHKO (rememeber infernape 4 does have split bomb which puts claydol with 60 HP which makes you not have to waste a Crobat drop and then a poke turn and another crobat drop (Like i said good lists dont have the room for stadiums and a Skuntank G - 2-3 Stadiums and 1 Skuntank G = 4 spots which is a lot in this deck.

Luxray/Infernape MUST run 1-1 Dialga G or they lose. You come Mewtwo Lv.X and you will lose. Smart players wont keep benching stuff if they get Mewtwo Lv.X out since all of Lux/Nape is basic pokemon.

Flygon is a 50-50 matchup honestly. Yes flygon has lightning resistance but Crobat G + Poke Turn + Crobat G + Fire Spin = OHKO. And like i said 1 paragraph up, Lux/Nape MUST run 1-1 Dialga G so that stops Flygon's body (No free retreat to anything unless they have free retreat) and Nidoqueen's body (no more healing) and any other teched pokemon that have poke-bodies (excluding SP pokeys but Flygon doesnt really run them since they dont add to his damage)

This deck (with a good list) is SSSOOO much fun to play, very disruptive, veryfast and an amazing deck.

I honestly think Ape's Corner (My name for it since it covers so many types) has the advantage vs. Flygon who doesn't set-up until T3 or later. By that turn Ape has already split bombed 3 times, spreading 120. Or it can Split Bomb a couple times then drag up the Flygon that is powered up and KO it with Fire Spin. I was playing against Flygon/Machamp and the Flygons never attacked me.

It's so crucial for Ape to KO those Flygon ASAP before they Lvl. Up, because Flygon Lv.X can take 2 prizes and disrupt with it's Body, and leave the Ape player in a bad situation, scrambling for energy.

Ape's Corner is a really hard deck to play and a great list is hard to make. So it will probably be like the Speed Spread of 06-07 but for this Nats. Not many players can play it effectively or make a great list for it so it won't see much play as your Auto-Pilot/List decks like Machamp, Gengar, to an extent Flygon and Dialga G (W/O Palkia G).

Last edited:

Hello Ditto :lol:

I've found it to have trouble with Gengar. Ya... its quick, but so is Gengar.

The thing about this deck is it has so many outs against almost every deck, if not all of them. I won't keep giving away tips on how to play against certain decks because it's most likely what I'm going to be playing for Nats. So the last thing I want to see is another G/G metagame where I face so many mirrors.

The last thing I'll say about this deck is that IHMO it's BDIF, but it's not your G/G BDIF or Dialga G BDIF. Where those decks pretty much had an autopilot. It's more of a "rogue" BDIF like Absolutions was. So many players saw the combo, built their list, tried it out, couldn't easily play the deck or their initial list wasn't the best list they could make for it. So they did poorly with it and then dropped it.

Just to emphasis the point on how it's not easy to play or make a list for I'll leave you guys with this last thought:
Chris Wood, from WI, my former playtest buddy had built one and then took it apart because he said it lost to Kingdra too much. Of course it'll lost to Kingdra when you only have a 1-1 Luxray, which is what he had. So he dropped it. He is ranked 37th in NA. So like I said even good players will try it out and drop it for an easier deck to play.

In my testing, gengar [[EXTREMELY OVERPLAYED] Machamp [overplayed] and speedrill [meh] were ALL uphill battles.
Sorry, not a fan.

In my testing, gengar [[EXTREMELY OVERPLAYED] Machamp [overplayed] and speedrill [meh] were ALL uphill battles.
Sorry, not a fan.

Christian, Christian, Christian. (I like saying my name too many times) It's all how you play those match-ups that and what list your playing with. I have played against a couple of really good Beedrills and the match-up is really close about 50-50. Before I was playing without Power Sprays, now I have some so the match-up so be more in my favor now.

I played vs. a Flygon/Machamp, where he was attacking mostly with Machamp and it was a close game the whole way until he donked me by flipping 3/4 heads with Machamp, and then I made a big misplay that sealed the game. The reason I made the misplay was because I was distracted by someone watching our game.

I have no experience vs. Gengar but right of the bat I see so many outs against it. Even if the Gengar is playing their now popular Queen tech.

I have started to do some minor testing and working with it (it probably isn't and exactly perfect list, but it is in the beginning stages) and I just want to say that I love the versatility, disruption, and minor spread that the deck offers.

I played Gengar today, and you just outplay them. Skuntank + Fire SPin is like BlazeTRan Burn + 100. Its a consistent deck with the right list. I posted mine in the Brs thread I made, you should check it out.

I played Gengar today, and you just outplay them. Skuntank + Fire SPin is like BlazeTRan Burn + 100. Its a consistent deck with the right list. I posted mine in the Brs thread I made, you should check it out.

That only works if they don't run queen.

Queen negates skuntank.

So with queen, ape/lux has almost no outs to NOT trigger the fainting spell.

That only works if they don't run queen.

Queen negates skuntank.

So with queen, ape/lux has almost no outs to NOT trigger the fainting spell.

All GOOD Lux/Ape decks run Dialga G. Sure they might get 1 fainting spell but once they get up Dialga G there isnt much Gengar can do.

All GOOD Lux/Ape decks run Dialga G.

Not true. Lol.

And as for Gengar. this is a simple solution, just play with the following field:

1 Luxray GL w/ Energy Gain
1 Claydol w/ Unown G
1 Infernape 4 LvX w/ Unown G
1 any other basic you want w/ Unown G (Luxray, probably)

With this field, you are completely protected from Shadow Room. For every attack on the Luxray, pull it back with a Poketurn. As long as Luxray is active, it can also take hits from Poltergeist while being Turned back. This also helps with Fainting spell, as most Gengar builds have Claydol, Uxie, Azelf, Haunter, or Crobat on their bench. Use Bright Look to pull them up, and OHKO. Play defensively, do not allow any extra prizes to be taken. If need be, an Unown G can be played on the Luxray, but you play without that extra bench. Gengar may slip in a few prizes here and there, but overall, your prizes will out number theirs.

Back