How does Damages calculation works ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by M.B.A, Nov 27, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. M.B.A

M.B.A New Member

How does the game calculate damages?

Is there some kind of formula? Like defense (from defending pokemon)/power (from the attack like tackle = 40) *attack (attacking pokemon)

Means:

As an example: defense/(attack * power); /= device; * = times

And is/are that/those formula(s) different form green/red/blue/yellow and gold/silver/crystal and ruby/sapphire?

I hope someone knows what I am talking about... :D

Please note me or edit if any spelling or understandings are incorrect. I would like everyone knows what it says but spelling is not my best thing... :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  2. Dek

Dek New Member

I just checked the GS players guide from Nintendo Power. Here's is the example they used for calculating damage

Pikachu vs. Gyarados

lets say Pikachu uses Thunderbolt. first thing you do is figure out Thunderbolt's attack. then you multiply the damage for each pokemon type that the defending is weak to.

Thunderbolt attack = x1.5
    Electric vs. Water = x2.0
    Electric vs. Flying = x2.0
    Total---------------- x6.0

This is just an example

3. M.B.A

M.B.A New Member

Well if that is correct then it does not care if the Gyarados have a defense 46 or a defense 103? it it probably right but I think something is missing :(

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  4. Dek

Dek New Member

Well, thats all I really know. Defense/Special Defense does reduce damage. I just dont know by how much though.

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

You forgot holding a Light Ball, and getting a critcal hit

6x2x2=24

Poor Gyarados

6. Red5bv06

Red5bv06 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Ok, here's the official damage formula. And no, the basic structure hasn't changed since the RBY days. Some things have to be added though, such as weather.

(((((((2L ÷ 5+2)×A×P ÷ D) ÷ 50)+2)×T)×M)xS)×R ÷ 255)

L = Attacker's level
    A = Attacking Pokémon's Attack/Special Attack
    P = Ability's power
    D = Defending Pokémon's Defense/Special Defense
    T = Type match (1, 1.5) - aka STAB
    M = Effectiveness modifier (either 0, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4) - depending on resistance, double resistance, weakness, double weakness, or immunity
    S = Special - anything else that effects the damage would be applied here, weather is all I can think of now
    R = a random number between 217 and 255

And that's the facts, Jack.

7. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

The formula is a tad more complicated then that... i'll post it soon enough.

8. M.B.A

M.B.A New Member

Thankes I hope it will do the trick, but could you please discribe the T factor more detailed ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  9. M.B.A

M.B.A New Member

Thanks I will wait for it ... ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  10. Red5bv06

Red5bv06 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

T = STAB
    STAB means if the type of attack you use is the same type as your Pokémon, you get a 1.5x boost.
    For example, if Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, since Pikachu is Electric type as well as Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt's power is multiplied by 1.5. But if Pikachu uses Body Slam, Body Slam is normal type and Pikachu is not, so you just get normal damage (or x1).