How is PUI Doing So Far

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Broken Lizard, Sep 13, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

*sigh*

As a TO and judge, as well as a player, I find the current state of affairs VERY frustrating.

We can not have a viable game if there is no clarity or consistency in key rulings. We're forced into 'winging it' and dealing with arguments instead of focusing on PLAYING.

Decks are designed with key rulings such as this one in mind. A deck built to benefit from pure speed would gain enormously if Rare Candy allowed the normal evolution restrictions to be broken. However, if Rare Candy does not, then that same deck might not even be worth playing.

We need timely and consistent rulings, and more than that, we need a new 'Official Premier Tournament Format'. The longer the game goes without these things, the more damage is done.

I myself have not built any new decks in a LONG time. Format and rulings DETERMINE deck architecture. There is NO POINT in deckbuilding if the parameters are not clear.

If this game is to grow, then we NEED these things.

The 'Ask the Master Trainers Forum is a good start; thanks for that!

[EDIT] Since this has nothing to do with the Rare Candy thread, I am going to split it off to a topic of its own. It is a good discussion topic. I am also going to move it to Tournaments and OP. BDS [/EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2003
  2. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

While we are taking a slight detour from the intent of this thread, the ruling has been made, so I will follow along. There has been much discussion about PUI being too slow to pick up the ball from WotC, getting a format, floor rules and a mechanism to make rulings in place. While we all want things to move faster, let's take a step back and look at the big picture for a moment.

WotC was in charge of OP until the end of August. That was about, what, two weeks ago. Let's look at what PUI has accomplished in the two weeks since they "officially" took over OP.

1) They held a mixed format Ruby/Sapphire Challenge event (this actually happened in August). It had limited locations, but the first WotC Premier event, which was the forerunner of the STS events and was used to select players for the first Tropical Mega Battle, was only held in about a dozen locations.

2} A second Premier event is finishing up this weekend. They doubled the number of locations, even though the events were less than a month apart!

3) Leagues are forming and ordering their first season's kit. WotC took over 6 months to get Leagues going, but to be fair, they had to develop the concept from scratch.

3) The Professor Program is getting started. The list is up and plans are being made to manage the program.

4) A OP structure has been announced, listing far more types of events than we've ever had. Not to mention that we got 15+ back! Jimmer also has the floor rules in draft form.

5) The first batch of rulings was released this week. With a means of collecting questions now in place (Ask the Master Trainers Forum}, the rulings should continue.

6) A web site has been up for around 2 months, providing a means of communication.

7) PUI made an appearance at the Cons this summer, doing demos and spreading the word about Pokemon to all that would listen.

Not a bad list of accomplishments IMHO. I know many of the things just built on what WotC had started, so it was much easier to implement, but again, PUI has only taken over "officially" for two weeks. I think they are doing just fine.

Keep it up!!!!!

BDS

3. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

Moving to Tournaments and OP, which is a better place for this type of discussion.

BDS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.