How much does an opponent dropping ruin your resistance?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Umbreon777, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

I invaded a Miami CC on the 30th and first round, won against someone who ended up being 0-2, and dropping. From then on, I always played down. When I was 2-0, I played 1-1. When I was 3-0, I played 2-1. After 5 rounds, there were 5 people in masters (including me) who were 4-1 and I missed cut.

Now, I am fully aware that this could have been the result of either coincidental randomizing or just plain bad resistance. But the question I am asking is if whether my opponent dropping hurt my resistance whatsoever.

-Dustin

2. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

Missing the cut is never an issue of randomizing. It is always done by your resistance, which is your opponent's win %. If your opponent drops, it hurts you (in theory) more the earlier they drop. This is because they get losses each round since they aren't there, so their win % goes down. If they had not dropped they could have possibly won a game, but, an opponent that is 2-1 and drops in a 5 round tournament is just as bad as someone who doesn't drop and goes 2-3.

3. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

Thank you, it was just so dissapointing that he dropped after 2 rounds.

By the way, the randomizing was about being paired down.

4. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Wait... What?

Resistance is based solely on your opponent's win percentage in the games that they actually played. The only modification in the calculation is that the minimum win % is 33%, and the maximum is 66%. If a 0-1 opponent drops, you have a 33% factored into your Op Win %.

5. Hey, it was so great to meet you when you "invaded" Miami CC and that was such a great game we played, sorry I won on time when you had it. Playing down sucks, and your oppotants dropping doesn't help your resistance eather. 5th, uggg, I know how you feel, I got 5th on Saturday in Avon Park, 5-1, miss cut, :frown:.

Anyways resistance is caculated by- the win % of each of your opponets then divided by amount of rounds (5-0=100%, 4-1=80% ... 1-4=20%* 0-5=0%.)**

*However the lowest win % that will be caculated in to you op win % is 33.33% (So 1-4 and 0-5=33.33%)

**If a player drops the lowest they can contrbute to your op win % is 33.33%, the highest they contrbute is 66.66%, (so... 0/2 drop=0%, but when caculated in to your op win %=33.33%. while 2/0 drop=100%, but when caculated in to your op win %=66.66% )

So Mike went 0-2 drop, so he contributed 33.33% to your op win %

Fill in the blanks here

RD1 vs Mike who went 0-2 drop=33.33%
    RD2 vs ??=??
    RD3 vs ??=??
    RD4 vs Me, I went 4-1=80%
    RD5 vs Someone who finnshed at 3-2 because you didnt play down=60%

33.33+??+??+80+60=

Divide answer by 5, and you have your op win %

BTW you playing down twice was compltely random.

Again it was nice meeting you, if you are in town again feel free to invade again. Get me on AIM sometime- Acasp13

6. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

Awesome. That's all I needed to know.

(I think I am just ill about getting 5th...)

7. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

You know 0-2 drop is the equivalent of going 0-5 (losing the rest of the rounds) which he probably would have anyway otherwise maybe he'd have played on instead?

8. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

How much does it hurt? A lot. A whole lot

9. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

No, I can guarantee he would not have lost the rest. I could even put money on 3-2. He just didnt feel like playing.

10. ShadowGuard

ShadowGuard <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Playing against an opponent who drops with no wins doesn't matter that much. You get 33% TieBrk for him, if he would stay and win all remaining rounds, he'd give a 60% TieBrk which means that your total resistance would be less than 6% higher. Of course, only in the case that he would have won ALL the upcoming matches. If he'd lost just one more, he'd get 40% and your resistance would be less than 2% higher.

There are some other things that happen much more often and are similar evil.

Playing against a player who got a bye:
    3-1 -> 75% (whitout bye)
    3-1 (with one bye) -> 2-1 -> 66%
    since a bye does not count as win when calculating resistance

This is a difference of more than 2% in the total resistance in a four-round-tournament. That's more than the average "0-2 dropping player". I missed tops in a BR (5 rounds + Top 4) ONLY because of this, and in another BR it also made a hard impact to my TieBreaker (yeah I was the only one with 3-0 score after round 3, lost the last match and missed Top 2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.