Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to speed up player registration?

NoPoke

Anyone got any good ideas for handling a common problme?

eg

50+ players including 15 new players without pop ids. several of the existing players can;t remember their pop ids. Some can't even remember their dates of birth!.

at one minute per player registration is going to take an hour :(

Guess that's why registration is an hour before the event?

Try registering them by given them a sheet of paper to write the information down on - using 2 lines - 1 for players with POP ids and the other for those without (or can't remember).

You should keep a list of every player you've given a POP id to so that when they forget you have something to look it up on (while they wait in the without/forgot line).

Definately keep a list of all the players POP ID`s you`ve issued. If you have more than one person who runs tournaments in your area, coordinate with them to have your lists combined and make sure you both have the copies. If the players have already played in your tournaments, and you are using the same computer, they will already be in there.

`Sensei

we do all of that and still it seems that registration takes too long :(.

Anyone successfully managed to perform registration in parrallel on more than one computer for a single tournament?

Last edited:
If the tournament was big enough, yeah we use multiple computers. Makes registration faster and inputting the results (i.e. getting the next round started) much quicker. ;)

Sensei said:
If the tournament was big enough, yeah we use multiple computers. Makes registration faster and inputting the results (i.e. getting the next round started) much quicker. ;)

..... hoping that TMS software don't crash :)))))

Save, save, and save. Save everytime you are done inputting a result. I haven`t had it crash or any real problem in a long, long time. The software is pretty good right now. :)

`Sensei

Last edited:
The problems occur if you try alterations to players before pairing the first round .. CRASH

Once the first round is done 1.16 seems to behave quite well but it is still inflexible. And if you are going to get details on paper remember 4 bits of info are needed. First and Last Name, Pop ID# and AGE !

I try pre-registering players as much as possible but we still get a delay, we get round t by running 8 player KOs for the players but it still seems far harder now than when using Reporter ..

Still bring on even more players I say I would rather have that hassle than not enough to sanction an event :)

Sensei multiple computers for a single age modified tournament? or one computer per age seperated tournament? (we already do the latter)

I've always found that tatooing a player's ID number on the back of their neck works well. :p

But seriously, we have two people at least at registration: one person collecting money, slips, and giving out info and then another whose sole purpose is to enter players into TMS. If a player forgets their POPID, the person collecting registration will look through records and write the correct number. The person working TMS should also have this list, like in a spreadsheet for faster searching and verifying.

We always seem to get through registration without any problems, since there isn't a steady stream of players during the hour period.

This is also a good article about such a process: http://www.wizards.com/dci/judge/main.asp?x=articles/jc19991008b
-Phil

Last edited:
Multiple computers for age separated. In big tournaments, this is a godsend. Usually I use two since the 10- and 11-14 groups were approximately the same size more or less as the 15+ so I had the 10- & 11-14 on the one comp as two tournaments and the 15+ on the other comp. I ran one computer while Wendy ran the other. I also prefer having the players report directly to the judges table (both players report at the same to to verify) so we can incorporate their results immediately thus getting the next round started in mach 5 time instead of using match slips which consumes time and personnel. ;)

It would be cool if you had bar codes on your IDs and all the people running the tournament had to do was scan it.

Back