Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hyper Training: Boost those IV's!

Benzo

Front Page News Editor<br>Forum Moderator
Considering that breeding Pokemon in the games has made it easier to have Pokemon with 4,5,even 6 31 IV's (individual stats), this new feature in Sun and Moon might be of some good use for raising that perfect Pokemon for battles.

In my opinion, it has been a long time waiting for this to be something that a competitive player could have used 5 years ago. True, the breeding mechanics have vastly improved in being able to at least control the nature of a Pokemon. Being able to hand-down certain IV's from parents. using hold items. Hold items in general for breeding did receive the boosting of the chances to be able to pass along IV's.

Seeing the competitive scene grow more and more every year, dedication to breeding, EV training, move tutor, leveling up, egg moves, nature selection- the list goes on- it is great to see that the player base now has a rather helpfull new mechanic in being able to finally boost IV's!

Breeding, breeding, and- hatching. You get the right nature! You get 3 31 IV's! Missing the right IV slots, well- back to the breeding............ / This. This has been one of the factors of "time wasted" in trying to get exactly what you want out of breeding. Let me break it down for a minute, on what it takes to get that perfect Pokemon ready for the big competitions:

Take Parent A, 99% of the time being Ditto, Ditto having hopefully 3 31 IV stats, have it hold the Destiny Knot item to pass on the 3 31 IV stats to the hatch-ling.

Take Pokemon B, which has the nature you want to hand down to the hatch-ling, have it hold the Everstone to pass down that desired nature.

Place both Pokemon A and B into the daycare.

Ride your bike around near the daycare, wait for the mysterious process that has stumped daycare employees when an egg has appeared, and, take the mystery off their hands.

Ride your bike in circles, until the egg hatches.

Check out the new offspring for it's nature. Hope it also has the ability you want as well.

Ok, the offspring has both nature and ability! -

BUT, does it have good IV stats?

NOPE............

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Eventually you do end up with the Pokemon you want for that perfect team for , oh, Regional's, or an online competition. There is way more involved in raising a Pokemon then just what I outlined above. It is dedication. It is time spent. To a competitive player: it is time well spent.

Yes, there has been many things done by Gamefreak to shorten the time it takes to get the Pokemon you want, the way you want it, the right moves, the right stats, the right IV's, and, that feeling of accomplishment and the reward of seeing your hard work pay off in a competition.

Well, this new Hyper Training will hopefully shave off more time, and, make it easier to quickly produce that Pokemon you just breed for that wasn't quite as perfect as you had hoped. This Hyper Training process will also make it easier to get that Event Legendary that has a guaranteed 3 31 IV stats already. If you'd like, you could just breed for a Pokemon with the right nature, a few 31 IV's, EV train it, slap on the Lucky Egg and be at level 100 in no time.

One thing I do also like about this new form of training is that it also does encourage more legit methods of obtaining Pokemon that can be easily more breed/raised for the player base, competitive or non-competitive.

Hopefully, there is also a method to reduce an IV stat. Sometimes you just need to have a specific stat not be at it's best, that 31 that the rest of the stats you want- sometimes the "best" is not the best when you do need to have that lower speed stat on a Pokemon. Sometimes you need that lower stat for Hidden Power. There are yes, a few reasons to not have the 31 IV, so, I am hoping that with Sun and Moon there is that option/mechanic to lower an IV stat.

In all, I am glad to see Hyper Training being included into the games. It is an over due option to be able to manipulate the IV's in which there is a lengthy process. This induction is a mechanic that some players could say "Why get your Pokemon up to level 100 just so that you can adjust it's IV's then when you could just do what we have been doing all this time and stop at level 50 and be done?" I do agree, to some degree. This Hyper Training is definitely an option, usable, has it's benefits, and as I see it- it will see a lot of use and is in an Arceus send to us gamers.

What do you all think? Is Hyper Training something you think you will use? Do you think it is worth being a feature in the game, or is the current methods doing just fine for getting battle worthy Pokemon? Is there another option you would rather see for making Pokemon better?
Thoughts? Ideas? Anything?

Life today is fast paced. Through one reason or another many people currently either won't take the time (due to having too many other more exciting pursuits) or can't afford the time (due to real life troubles intruding upon their gaming time) to train up their pokemon to "perfection." It's great to see that Nintendo has understood that issue and is making it easier. The games have to evolve just like the pokemon!

I'm in full support that makes getting competitive Pokemon easier. Right now some people don't like the idea because it makes all their hard work invalid but this is a nice change. Hyper Training is something I look forward to. I do hope this makes it easy to get the right Hidden Power you want.

Yeah, true. I know it took quite a while to get some of the ones I wanted, but now I don't have the time to devote to it. If there are some competitive pokemon in the new generation, then I'd rather have this hyper training .... than not have it. It's like when all those competive pokemon got nerfed from the scene in the X/Y generation (what is that .... Kanto?) .... at least you could train up some decent pokemon in the new generation ie. Kangaskhan. You couldn't use some of the older Zapdos, and the newer ones were kinda useless, but at least some of the new pokemon that you could raise were decent. We'll all get used to it in time.

Once S/M comes out, I'm just wondering when they'll nerf the current generation of games and their pokemon. Obviously there's no way you can battle S/M pokemon with older ones unless they actually are on a S/M cartridge. I imagine that by the second set of regionals (spring 2017) this will happen. So hyper training might be a good thing to put everyone on the same footing (GASP!)

Yeah, true. I know it took quite a while to get some of the ones I wanted, but now I don't have the time to devote to it. If there are some competitive pokemon in the new generation, then I'd rather have this hyper training .... than not have it. It's like when all those competive pokemon got nerfed from the scene in the X/Y generation (what is that .... Kanto?) .... at least you could train up some decent pokemon in the new generation ie. Kangaskhan. You couldn't use some of the older Zapdos, and the newer ones were kinda useless, but at least some of the new pokemon that you could raise were decent. We'll all get used to it in time.

Once S/M comes out, I'm just wondering when they'll nerf the current generation of games and their pokemon. Obviously there's no way you can battle S/M pokemon with older ones unless they actually are on a S/M cartridge. I imagine that by the second set of regionals (spring 2017) this will happen. So hyper training might be a good thing to put everyone on the same footing (GASP!)

Who knows. I just wonder how they are going to balance the game. I really want a lot of the megas that need buffs to get them, same for other Pokemon. This game is looking to change how things are played but I wonder how deep they are going with this game.

Back