I bought fake cards - Any suggestions on what to do? (case closed)

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Daddiursa, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

I just received a package today that I bought through eBay, I have used eBay 100 of times, without any problems. But today I received 16 fake booster packs with fake cards in that I've paid for.

Any suggestions on what to do? Anyone knows if Nintedo will do something about it if I tell them? I live in Europe, seller lives in Pleasanton, USA. So I can't just go and knock him over... (Not that I would anyway, but...)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  2. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

First of all, of course, is to report the sale of fraudulent items to eBay!

What exactly is the nature of these fakes? Were they sealed packs?

3. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Are the fakes from a series Nintendo printed? If so, i'd email them.

I would also keep some in a trade binder - labeled as fakes - just to show others what fakes can look like. Especially if they are good fakes.

I would contact the seller and ask him/her, "Why did you send me fake cards? These are not real ones." to see their response. If not a good one, report to eBay. If the seller didn't know, and is willing to make amends, check their feedback to see if the seller has sold fakes to someone before (be sure to check the positive remarks - once has a person sell unlimited Base as 1st ed. Base to me so i checked their feedback and one person did leave positive feedback even though this other person got unlimited cards also!). This way you will know if the person has got caught before. If the seller makes amends, leave negative feedback after you have either your money back or real cards stating that the seller sold fake cards. Or if the person genuinely did not know they were fakes and you find no evidence of selling fakes previously, leave neutral feedback so the remarks stand out.

4. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

The boosters were alle sealed. It was hard to tell from the pictures on eBay, but I got suspicious once I opened the package. They looked "worn out" like from being in a store window in strong sunlight for long and words like "TRADING CARD GAME" were not correctly placed over the shadow of them. The cards on the inside left no doubt, even though there was one HOLO inside. They smelled funny (perfumed), and they were kinda like plactic, more that hard paper/cardboard (dunno what you call that, but I mean like regular cards should be).

(See my reply below for what I'm going to do about reporting to eBay)

I sent an email once I got them. Telling the seller they are fake, and what he suggests to do before I take matters into my own hands.

If he is willing to either send my money back, or send me 16 genuine booster packs. I will settle for a neutral or negative feedback (depending on if I buy his excuse or not...)
    If I get no reply, or he sees no reason to make any amends, then, yes, the fraudlent system at eBay might be a good thing.

But if Nintendo is interested in hearing about cases of this size, I'll certainly contact them. I guess the trace would only lead to some place in Asia where fakes are big business... But the seller who knowingly sells these fake card to a dedicated collector as me (whose only a few cards away from having a complete pokemon TCG collection)... should PAY!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

What set were these from?
    You say there was a holo card.
    What did the foil look like? Different pattern than usual, or the same?
    How does the fine print on the cards look? Blurry or crisp?

What are the markings on the packs? Does it match WotC marking (or PUI, ir recent sets, you don't say)?

I'm just curious as to what is being conterfeited nowadays.

6. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

They were from Aquapolis, Skyridge, Sandstorm & Ruby/Sapphire (4 boosters of each). The foil cards (one in each pack) were different from the original, more like straight alimunium foil, with a certain pattern, either circles or squares inside of each other, with the pokemon figure on top. The fine print is blurry, like you can see it's copied. The packs have all the text and pictures of a normal pack with bar code and Nintendo tradamark logo for the newest sets and WotC for the older ones.

If you are very interested, I can take a picture of them with my digital camera and mail it to you. Then you'd have to send me a pm with your mail adress.

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Nah, that's OK. Is there a link still open to the ebay sale?
    I remember seeing some packs prepackaged that looked suspicious

8. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Yes it's still there, and I've sent you a message with the link. I don't wanna go public on the sellers name and ID. In case he apologizes and makes up for this huge disappointment.

9. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Judging by his feedback, I expect he'll refund your money.

10. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

I hope so (I gave him that option in a recent mail). Anyway it's the lack of morale that haunts me, rather than the money out the window. But I can't just bash him in a super-negative feedback, b/c he'll just post a nonsene-negative feedback for me. Thus breaking my perfect 100% positive feedback-line. And that's a shame!! I read that the seller used that trick in some of his earlier "fake deals".

11. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Speaking of E-bay, is the seller supposed to contact you after you make a purchase? I won 3 Kingdra EX on Monday, have sent e-mails, and have not gotten any reply from the person. What should I do?

12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Is there any other way to contact them?
    Does your e-mail filter out any thing it suspects of being spam?
    I've had problems with one of my e-mail addresses thinking corresspondence via eBay is spam.

13. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Well, end of [my] story is the seller refunded me today. So to avoid recieving neg. feedback, I didn't give him any either. But I mentioned in the feedback that the cards were fake, so future buyers hopefully won't get fooled by him.

Well, if you don't know the seller, then I'd wait for reply, just to get communications going. It's a safety precaution before you pay. I have (though very rarely) experienced that my e-mails get stuck in a spam filter. Most likely it's just a buzy seller. Some sellers work big style, so they don't always have time to answer everything. Or they only answer mail on certain weekdays. You'll know by looking at the amount of stuff they sell and the amount of feedback they have.

Sometimes the shipping cost cannot be calculated by you, either because it says like "contact me for exact shipping fee to where you live" or "Contact me for combined shipping", so then you indeed have to get an answer from the seller. But there are no set rules for how long this may take, at least not to my knowledge. Usually the seller says he wants to be contacted within so and so many days.

I'd at least wait till friday before I start worrying about anything.

14. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

My dilemna is now over too. I contacted the guy again (it was my 4th email to him) after I posted and he said that he had been away from the computer for a few days because he was sick. He said he shipped out my 3 Kingdra ex yesterday, so I am hoping that they get here by Saturday for the last CC in California. That means there is only Thursday, Friday, and Saturday left for them to arrive. I hope they get here in time...

15. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

>Daddiursa
    The question is, yes, you got your money back and everything, but how many more people will this seller be able to rip off? I'd *still* report him to NoA... That's just my opinion, at least. :)