I have a question about Smokescreen and yes the pesky babies.

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Tormentedsoul14, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Tormentedsoul14

Tormentedsoul14 New Member

The person that runs the league where I live said that Smokescreen is a "Global" thing in a sense where if he uses smokescreen on one of my active pokémon the other pokemon that wasn't damaged by the attack still needs to flip a coin as if he was attacked. I was just wondering if that was the way how it worked.

Question 2
    If I have 2 active pokémon out and I try to attack his baby pokémon do I only have to flip once for both of my pokémon or do I flip 2 times cuz I have 2 active? The same thing but if he has 2 baby active how would that work?

Thank you for replying if you do.
    JB

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Ok, Smokescreen is applied to the Pokemon who is attacked. If you retreat/switch back to the bench, then the new Pokemon, or even the same Pokemon who was Smoke Screened, can attack without flipping.....

On the 2-2 play... rule book says to attack in this order

Choose a Poke to attack with
    Choose an attack
    choose a Pokemon to attack
    Attack

As far as I know, if 1 is a baby, you can attack the other, without a flip
    If 2 babies active, you flip once for the one you are anouncing attack on.

Am I wrong???

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Smokescreen is an effect and has to reside somewhere.

The Smokescreen effect resides on the defending pokemon. Not the attacking pokemon.

If THAT defending pokemon tries to attack then it's controller flips for the smokescreen effect since that effect is on THAT particular pokemon.

If the effected pokemon visits the bench then the effect is cleared.

FWIW I used to think that it was possible for effects to be global but each time an effect might have a global effect it has been ruled to reside on an individual pokemon. We may get global effects at some time in the future, but there aren't any at the moment.

Everything that Spectreon says is true. I'm just emphasising the point!

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

And if one Active is a Baby and you have an attack that lets you choose a target other than the Pokemon you are attacking, you can attack the non-Baby Pokemon and then target your effect on the Baby without flipping!

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Now here is an interesting Question. Does stuff like Strength Charm, Darkness Energy, and Plus Power get applied if you redirect the target. All say extra damage to the defending Pokemon. Now the Baby is active, but not the Pokemon you are attacking, does that make it "the defending Pokemon" or would it be the same as attacking a benched Pokemon, and not apply these effects?

6. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You have to go by the wording of the card.

For example, Strength Charm does not reference the Defending Pokemon. So it would add to damage.
    Darkness Energy references the "Active Pokemon", so that would work.

Plus Power is the only one of these that specifies the Defending and so would not add to the redirected damage.

7. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

I thought SC was errated to mean the defending or active Pokemon? Because it doesnt work on bench hitter attacks. =(

8. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

no it wasn't errated as such... there is a note in the compendium along the lines: '..... it turns out that nothing in pokemon can add to bench damage...'

it could have done with some of that italicised clarification text that many cards have ;)

9. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

And I thought of Stadiums as being Global Effects? Must be my old MtG ways and global enchantments slipping into my brain ;)

10. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

well 'global' perhaps isn't the best term to describe effects that aren't targeted at specific pokemon. Some years ago when I first had to consider effects I thought that we could have effects that targeted the player rather than pokemon. Rulings so far indicate that we do not have any effects that target the player at the present point in the game. Even Stadium cards wait to be triggered and then affect a particular pokemon.

ref SPUTTER {C} All Pokémon Powers stop working until the end of your next turn. 10

Reads like it targets the active player or a single turn or powers in general. But that isn't how it was rulled. The MAGBY ruling had a big impact on how *I* interpret cards.

11. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Ah yes the Magby Ruling...... :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  12. dld4a

dld4a Feature Writer

I have always been told that the smokescreen effect resides on the target pokemon and the attacking pokemon, so if you attack w/ fossil Magmar and durring your opponets next turn he/she use a gust he/she can now attack without having to flip.

13. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

[/font]

[font=Palatino,Book Antiqua]Notice "the Defending Pokémon" in the attack text. That is who the effect is on. Gusting Magmar to the Bench does not remove it.[/font]

[font=Palatino,Book Antiqua]The attack text states which Pokémon the effect resides on (or both). If it is not stated, it resides on the Attacking Pokémon.
    [/font]