"I Play Theme Decks" - Round 2 - RESULTS POSTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
ROUND 2 RULES

Round starts Friday, August 27, 2010
Decklists due Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:59 p.m USA EST

Note: If everyone turns in their list before then, we'll end the round early and prepare to set up round 3.

THE ROUND OF FUN & RANDOMNESS.

When you work with new kids, they have an uncanny abillity to get INSTANT acquisition of a card collection. They start league nothing but a theme deck and then ... BOOOOM!!! they suddenly have this large collection of random cards!!

New players (adults and children alike) get excited about playing the game and start a gathering phase- buying whatever they can find/afford from ebay, flea markets, and random packs from retail stores. In addition to hobby stores and large retail stores, these resourceful new players find cards in stores you don't even think to look such as Rite Aid, K-mart, CVS, Walgreens, local restaurants, thrift stores, and mall toy stores.

Caution: I'm about to render a "Transfer Pain" attack and make my struggle YOUR struggle. :lol:

And ... OH YEAH.. the kid has changed up the deck that you helped him build... already!! (yeah, they do that ....) so . . .

Step 1: - The Old list ?

Check your PM TOMORROW for your round 2 deck.
-- You will find your round 1 deck with some happy little changes that the new player decided would make his deck 'super cool.'

Step 2:

The new player has brought a binder of fun and randomness for you to look through.

This binder has cards from almost every series (ebay FTL )
You need to help the kid seperate what's playable and what's not playable.
THEN you've got to see if there's anything left to help the kid fix his deck.

(BTW beginners freakin' LOVE cards from EX series and you'll find yourself sifting through these cards and breaking the bad news about "this is too old man... and this is not playable.... this one is COOL - but not playable")

Conditions/Limitations for Round 2:

Details:

The new player traded away some of the cards you put in the round 1 deck
The new player has a birthday coming up (before round 3!) and says he's asked for cards (advise!! )
-- Note: He may or may not ever get these cards.​

CARDS YOU CAN USE:

You can add cards from the Binder of Fun and Randomness
You can add up to 6 Pokemon Uncommon/Commons from PL and LA.
You can add up to 3 of any Basic Energy that is not already in the deck! (you may mix or use 3 of the same)
You can only switch out 16 total cards from the 'new' list (ANYTHING you take out will count towards your 16 card limit.)​

REMINDER: Your contest decks ALWAYS have to be MD-on (i.e. Modified Tournament Legal) ... always. New Players will approach you with random cards like this. They don't understand what's playable and what's not; they just want a bunch of cards! You have to help them use what's useable.

"The Cut"

Only 5 from each pod will advance to the next round.
The no-shows are all gone; you'll need to earn your passage from here-on folks. :cool:

YOUR CONTEST PM SHOULD INCLUDE:

Submission:

• Your POD # and Round# in the TITLE/SUBJECT of your PM (please... do this....)
  • The Birthday advice
  • Appropriately formatted final list (refer to the format layout from round 1)

NOTE: You DO NOT send in a list of the new player's card collection.
Remember: You can only switch out 16 cards from the list (period).

RESULTS:

• THESE PARTICIPANTS WILL MOVE ONTO ROUND 3
  • kskott 23
  • WinkWinkNudgeNudge 23
  • honchvire 20
  • Bullados 20
  • LucarioEX 19
  • Ace- 19
  • Baby Mario 19
  • Cardzmaster2004 19
  • Mama_Luigi 18
  • Sandslash7 18
  • Pajamas 18
  • ShadowGuard 18
  • Argyris 18
  • hampuse1 18
  • Cardkeeper 18
  • Denjin Hadou 17
  • kwisdumb 17
  • sar86 17
  • nnann 16
  • Kayle 16
  • Cyrus 16
  • Jariel 16
  • DelcattyEX 16
  • MegaVelocibot 16
  • Darkmot 15
  • darthtace 15
  • renfield89 15
  • Shino Bug Master 15

CUT LINE - These players will not be advancing to round 3
  • Garch 14
  • Brady1 14
  • rage780 14
  • tehmoe 13
  • Arcanite 13
  • Nekizalb 12
  • Giratinamaster 11
  • Lumineon 10
  • WittyNameHere 10
  • Happiny13 10
  • TimeForPain 10
  • Teleri333 10
  • burnpsy 9
  • Barkjon 6
  • DonphanA-Z DQ

• You are creating a list that could be built RIGHT NOW by any new player who doesn't have an existing card collection.
  • Any future promos or unreleased cards may not be used throughout the contest.
  • All existing Modified Format (MD-on) conditions/limitations/rulings apply to each of your list submissions.
  • This entire event is about building for what is possible at this point in time.
  • Note: Each round, you can use ONLY the cards that you are given to modify. Pay special attention to what you are and are not allowed to use each round!
  • ALWAYS consider Spirit of the Game. Your score is affected by how well you understand it! (look it up, if you're not sure)
  • For this contest, TRAINERS/SUPPORTERS are NOT "uncommons" ; they are in a seperate category called "Trainer/Supporters"
  • Not reading the rules or Misinterpreting the rules of this contest is your own fault. Your submission will not be rescored. (remember, I'm scoring over 100 entries).
  • No score is personal. The goal is to raise awareness of Spirit of the Game. I'm trying to reach out to as many people as possible, so keeping you in the contest and absorbing the spirit of its intention is more important than eliminating participants. In other words, it does me more good to keep you in than to put you out! Therefore, accusing me of "not liking" you and scoring you lower is absolutely inconsistent with the spirit of the contest (and my character).

(TIP: You can find ALL Original Theme Decks lists on BULBAPEDIA.NET )

SUBMITTING YOUR LISTS:

• PM your modified lists to: Rogue Archetype
  • PM MUST include your POD# and ROUND# in THE TITLE!!!
    - (example: POD#2, Round 1)

- If I don't see a POD#, you haven't submitted your entry!
  • Your improved list must be presented in the an easy-to-read format. (SEE EXAMPLE SUBMISSION FROM ROUND 1)
  • I need to see quantity, name of card, set, and set number.
  • "Lazy lists" will be DQ'd. <== for real.
  • EXPLAIN your changes. Tell which cards you switched out and how your changes improve the list for a NEW player! - (SEE EXAMPLE SUBMISSION FROM ROUND 1)
  • You have 4 days per round. Late submissions are disqualified. No exceptions/No Excuses

FYI - How I Randomize Lists

1. Goto Microsoft Excel
  2. Paste a list into column A
  3. Next to the first name enter this formula: =rand()
    (This generates a random number)
  4. Fill the formula down entire column B so everyone has a random number
  5. Highlight both columns and sort by column B
    Note: Everyone is automatically assigned a NEW random number for another sort

Last edited:
JONATHAN'S BINDER OF FUN AND RANDOMNESS

83 Super Scoop Up UL
88 Poke´ Blower + SF
8 Magnezone DP
3 Blaziken PL
131 Gardevoir LV.X SW
13 Ludicolo SW
53 Lairon MT
67 Smoochum SW
78 Wurmple RS
84 Holon Energy FF DF
58 Pikachu base
64 Tropius MT
11 Torterra SF
112 Squirtle SW
102 Espeon ex UF
41 Magcargo UF
111 Miasma Valley PL
69 Munchlax RR
107 Hippowdon LV.X RR
67 Feebas GE
25 Electivire SW
16 Raikou SW
1 Dusknoir SF
62 Sealeo MT
39 Shelgon PK
70 Wynaut PK
15 Beedrill RR
102 Switch HS
100 Warp Energy UF
97 Seedot DP
22 Pidgeotto base
77 Chikorita MT
105 Flygon LV.X RR
31 Kirlia PK
29 Dunsparce UL
108 Zubat MT
66 Smeargle SW
64 Hippopotas RR
81 Carvanha SW
83 Energy Link SF
68 Carnivine PL
105 Water Energy PK
40 Weavile SW
96 Double Colorless Energy base
109 Bebe's Search MT
125 Roseanne's Research SW
10 Raichu HS
11 Xatu UL
62 Sandshrew base
62 Gliscor 4 RR
29 Hippowdon DP
33 Tyrogue HS
120 Metal Energy MT
15 Shaymin PL
15 Claydol GE
50 Houndoom G PL
63 Silcoon DP
107 Politoed ex UF
43 Linoone GE
44 Quagsire UF
76 Lunatone GE
32 Kakuna UL
19 Hypno GE
40 Haunter SF
99 Skorupi DP
75 Nuzleaf RR
36 Blissey HS
100 Moonlight Stadium GE
49 Quilava HS
46 Piloswine SF
13 Rampardos PL
121 PlusPower SW
63 Shieldon MT
27 Kricketune MT
94 Metal Energy RS
58 Prinplup DP
58 Octillery PL
101 Jolteon PK
26 Palkia GE
66 Tropius UL
56 Omanyte PK
97 Heatran LV.X SF
64 Machop SF
122 Professor Oak's Visit SW
24 Wobbuffet PK
83 Finneon MT
89 Magikarp MT
64 Staravia DP
68 Koffing RR
88 Togepi GE
93 Piplup DP
49 Sharpedo RR
36 Ninetales PL
28 Steelix SF
78 Makuhita GE
41 Marshtomp RS
65 Poochyena RS
122 Torterra LV.X DP
75 Spinarak UF
72 Unown Z SW
35 Sudowoodo MT
54 Magnemite PK
81 Slowpoke HS
65 Wartortle PL
119 Switch DP
130 Metal Energy DP
100 Regigigas LV.X SF
106 Meganium ex UF
18 Gengar SF
72 Dual Ball UL
97 Metal Energy UF
33 Rampardos MT
105 Lugia ex UF
90 Cyclone Energy PK
87 Larivitar MT
74 Chatot DP
71 Battle Frontier PK
41 Hariyama GE
16 Zapdos base
68 Unown K SW
92 Lucian's Assignment RR
2 Empoleon SF
45 Breloom SW
96 Sandshrew MT
71 Cheerleader's Cheer UL
81 Strength Charm DF
9 Garchomp MT
27 Ho-Oh UF
118 Potion DP
9 Magneton base
63 Poochyena RS
6 Magnezone SF
7 Cradily PK
98 Phanpy SW
91 Flint's Willpower RR
110 Mismagius GL LV.X RR
17 Weavile G PL
36 Lairon RS
97 Seel MT
54 Whiscash 4 RR
55 Meditite PK
56 Makuhita RS
52 Slowbro HS
10 Mismagius GL RR
5 Blaziken PK
75 Energy Switch PK
117 Skull Fossil MT
119 Bebe's Search SW
25 Ledian HS
102 Water Energy No Rarity base
51 Kabuto PK
52 Staravia SF
35 Magikarp base
9 Manectric RS
64 Girafarig HS
95 Wingull GE
7 Politoed UL
57 Pikachu PK
98 Shinx DP
85 Great Ball SF
112 Professor Rowan DP
99 Cyclone Energy UF
23 Golem 4 RR
47 Vigoroth RS
62 Spearow UL
16 Floatzel UL
11 Poliwrath UF
52 Happiny MT
52 Lileep PK
42 Magneton SF
50 Duskull PK
22 Arcanine SW
36 Magmar base
12 Slowking HS
38 Croconaw UF
78 Scoop Up base
58 Drifloon SF
96 Darkness Energy UF
69 Houndour GE
15 Lanturn PK
94 Ponyta DP
63 Slakoth PK
86 Kricketot MT
25 Zangoose PK
72 Buizel DP
103 Cresselia LV.X GE
45 Pichu SF
98 Felicity's Drawing GE
26 Dratini base
31 Grovyle RS
83 Glameow DP
125 Water Energy DP
82 Full Heal base
25 Scizor SF
49 Drowzee base
37 Floatzel GE
19 Flareon RR
24 Heracross 4 RR
22 Clefable DP
77 Phanpy HS
78 Judge UL
71 Combee PL
85 Holon Energy GL DF
114 Pokédex Handy 910is PL
8 Raichu SF
45 Caterpie base
60 Riolu UL
87 Magnemite DP
8 Lucario GL RR
106 Totodile MT
109 PlusPower DP
78 Pikachu HS
81 Lotad PL
29 Golduck PL
74 Energy Removal 2 PK
32 Rhyperior 4 RR

in the pm, must we really list all the cards he can't use? or are they there as red harings for contest purposes lol?

also
we have a 14 card limit on how many can switch out, does that include the 3 additional energy we can add or not? cause the nyou also say 16 limit so i am really confused. please clearify what you can and cant do.

is the number beside the cards the set number of the amount of copies Jonathan has. Just have to make sure

So we're to assume that the kid fails at sorting and has exactly 0 doubles? Wow... Looks like I have to explain more than how to make a good deck.

[*]Not reading the rules or Misinterpreting the rules of this contest is your own fault. Your submission will not be rescored. (remember, I'm scoring over 100 entries).

While I'm not questioning this rule, I think I should point out that there are 55 remaining entrants. This is still a large number, but it's not "over 100".

You can only switch out 14 total cards from the 'new' list (ANYTHING you take out will count towards your 16 card limit.)

You may or may not want to correct this one too.

Yeah this is a little bit confusing.
Another question:

Are we allowed to change up to 14/16? cards another time, or are they included in the last 14 changes, so if they are going to be 16 and are included in the last changes we could only change 2 cards....?

:-/

Yay I am in round two^^

Can you use any energy, or just those from the binder of fun and randomness!

---------- Post added 08/24/2010 at 11:16 AM ----------

If this kid got 103 Cresselia Lv.X within like a few weeks of league, I am dang glad I'm his new friend :thumb:

What about 105 Flygon Lv.X!:lol:

awwwww man. He got a claydol, but its too late!

and he has 131 gardy lv. x.

When should i be expecting to get my updated list???

~P99

Last edited:
Thanks for your questions fellas. It really helps me fine-tune (i.e. correct my rediculous typos/errors).

Was mad sleepy and just trying to get you guys some results posted.

So, thanks again for finding the holes in the write-up.

So we're to assume that the kid fails at sorting and has exactly 0 doubles? Wow... Looks like I have to explain more than how to make a good deck.

That is correct. You ever see a new kid trade that figures "I already have that one, but I had 2 extras of this one."?

While I'm not questioning this rule, I think I should point out that there are 55 remaining entrants. This is still a large number, but it's not "over 100".

You may or may not want to correct this one too.

I'll fix that now. It was cut and paste from last round TIPS.

Yeah this is a little bit confusing.
Another question:
Are we allowed to change up to 14/16? cards another time, or are they included in the last 14 changes, so if they are going to be 16 and are included in the last changes we could only change 2 cards....?
Yay I am in round two^^

16 Changes to your next deck total. It resets. So, any changes you made last round are not a factor.

Can you use any energy, or just those from the binder of fun and randomness.

You can use ONLY the energy the kid has. See "Cards You can Use." Energy from his current deck and from the binder of randomness are good.

in the pm, must we really list all the cards he can't use? or are they there as red harings for contest purposes lol?

also
we have a 14 card limit on how many can switch out, does that include the 3 additional energy we can add or not? cause the nyou also say 16 limit so i am really confused. please clearify what you can and cant do.

I'll need to go up and try to figure out what you're talking about there.
16 Changes to your next deck total. It resets. So, any changes you made last round are not a factor.

^It'd be kind of silly to make the kid a deck he could only use for a week.... I'm assuming MD-on.

So we're assuming he traded away all the 'extras' from the packs in round 1.... bother. XD

EDIT: This kid must be really talented to get 3 Lv. X's from RR........ and NOT A SINGLE CARD from LA. O.O

Last edited:
Is telling Jon about the format restriction and informing him which cards are and aren't legal to play part of the round? Or do we just focus on changing his deck and giving him birthday advice? Is he asking for packs or individual cards (or is that what we advise on as well)?

For the birthday, do you have to tell him what packs he should ask for, what singles he should ask for, or just wish him a happy birthday? lol

So apparently my wii can use computer keyboards so looks like I can keep fighting on time until I'm out.

---------- Post added 08/24/2010 at 08:08 PM ----------

Do trainers count as the 6 common/uncommons this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back