8 league13 468 60
  1. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

well i have noticed some bickering when i play this card, so i'd like a final conclusion, and i'm sure it's been covered, but i didn't fell like searching through 18 pages of topics

SKYRIDGE MACHAMP's body states

"prevent all effects of attacks done to machamp"

i realize damage isn't included, though it would rule if it did, but what about attacks like snatch that would switch out machamp??

and omastar's pull down.... it wouldn't de-evolve correct??

what is the full definition of effect??

how would this be perfectly worded?

2. Lugias_Realm

Lugias_Realm New Member

SKYRIDGE MACHAMP's -Will only take actual damage, not damage counters and no effects such as Omastars Pulldown. Pulldown is an effect because it doesn't actually do any damage. Hope this helps

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Effects are everything except "does X damage"

4. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

hope I never have to face the following question but is the additional damage from a darkness energy card an effect or not?

on one side we have Light Dragonite turning off additional effects from special energy cards and on the other the text on darkness says that is 'does X damage'.

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

darkness should not be included, it is not the effect of an attack!!! it just adds to X Damage....

all other effects would, like mentioned above, include anything that isnt specifacally straight out damage. If the attack would do damage plus anything else, only the damage would be done.

Now there is an evil stall.... Machamp/Dustox vs Shedinja..... its like Ditto vs Ditto all over again.... AAAGH!!!!

6. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Even Strength Charm would still add to the damage.
    Things that add to damage are done before its "sent out" to the defending Pokemon.

7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I can see the sequence with Light Dragonite. : Miraculous wind negates the text on the darkness card before the attack is calculated.

But why Doesn't Immunity block the effect that a darkness enegy card has to modify the damage from a dark pokémon? Both Miraculous Wind and Immunity are active prior to the attack's damage calculation taking place?

-----

Actually the strength charm example is even better than my Darkness example. Surely Tools are nothing but effect? After all for strength charm to work damage has to be done in the first place. The damage from strength charm is applied after weakness and resistance.

Arrgh head explodes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  8. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

But Darkness and Charm are effects on the attacking pokemon, not on the defending Pokemon!

9. Bigpoppabeatdown

for machamp i understand because it would be like a quick attack, flipping heads would add to the damage done, it is an "effect" on the attacker, not machamp.......

also machamp wouldn't prevent effects done to him right??? what i mean is like linoone's seek out, it is an effect, but the effect isn't done to machamp....... correct me if i'm wrong, but that's how the old agility ruling was............
    you could agility but someone could still come up and eeeeek

as far as light dragonite, i wouldn't know.......... i understand the argument, but i also understand that extra damage isn't an effect............. oh well

10. Bigpoppabeatdown

i just thought about this......... if someone's attack says place x amount of damage counters on the defending pokemon.......... that is an effect so wouldn't machamp prevent that??????

correct me if i'm wrong

11. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

thanks... the idea that the effects from cards like strength charm and darkness energy are on the attacking pokemon rather than the receiving will take a while to sink in. Anyone got a nice big mallett (preferably feather filled ;)) to speed the process of absorption up.

--------

As for the agility question I am trying to cultivate a nice blind spot over such matters!. Too many painfull Suicune memories! LOL

[edit] yes Immunity will prevent Gardevoir Ex's Feedback attack from placing damage counters. [/edit]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  12. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Well, this is how they work: They affect the Attacking Pokemon by pumping up the amount of Damage that is calculated for the attack and then that damage (not an effect at this point) is done to the defending Pokemon.

13. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

The attack itself is still doing X damage to the defending pokemon even though it is placing them. I don't think Machamp would prevent that damage, but I could be wrong? I think the placing is simply for getting around resistance, not triggering effects like Immunity and Agility.

Duck
    :D

14. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

Placing damage counters is an effect... no if's and's or but's.

Damage is stated in 10's, this attack does 30 damage, or this attack does 20x whatever....

15. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You do damage
    you place damage counters.
    The second is an effect and would get blocked by immunity.

16. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

I stand corrected...and I totally see the other side. **reaches 4 sunglasses**

17. Bigpoppabeatdown

a very wise man huh chaddy???? would that man be named samuel clemens????

*reaches for glasses with transition lens'*

:D :D :D

18. Psyduck

Psyduck New Member

No way d00d, it was Stewy from Family Guy! :D

19. Bigpoppabeatdown

RIGHT........ well i'm sure that stewie got it from him

an original quote is "CLICK CLICK PANCAKES"