Infernacatty (Article included)

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Muscovy Level X, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muscovy Level X

Muscovy Level X New Member

Opps. it seems the pictures won't come up.

Infernacatty is a deck that's been around for a while, since the big Diamond&Pearl release. While it has lost some popularity, it still can make a formidable deck, with both speed and power in one !

Article by: Muscovy Level X
    Title: The New Infernacatty
    Date: March 24
    Latest set released: Diamond&Pearl: Great Encounters
    Current format: HP-on

Infernacatty
    1 Infernape lv.X DP
    3 Infernape DP
    2 Monferno DP
    3 Chimchar DP
    1 Delcatty ex CG
    2 Delcatty PK
    3 Skitty PK
    2 Blaziken PK
    1 Blaziken GE
    1 Combusken GE
    2 Torchic GE

2 Speed stadium DP
    1 Scott PK
    4 Rare candy GE
    3 Roseanne's research SW
    4 Bebe's search MT
    2 Night maintenance MT
    2 Dusk ball MT
    2 TV reporter DF
    1 Copycat DF
    1 Professor Rowan DP
    2 PlusPower DP

2 Double rainbow energy
    13 Fire

Let's go over the cards:
    The Pokemon:
    [​IMG] An overall bonus to the deck. All the discarding builds up for Flare Up, and let's face it, having a new ability and more HP is reason enough.

[​IMG] The main attacker of the deck. Flare Blitz is a great attack, which Blaziken can recharge. Free retreat allows you to attack, then next turn put an energy on a benched Infernape, use Firestarter (Blaziken), then just switch the Infernapes. Flare Blitz is a great attack. Meteor Punch isn't as good, but still useful. I've personally come out of several dire situations by flipping for Meteor Punch.

Monferno: Evolution purposes, though with good attacks, it can cover for a bad start.

Chimchar: Evolution purposes.

[​IMG] Delcatty ex has two uses: the ability allows you to charge up for Flare Up, or simply hassle your opponent, and Upstream is good in a pinch.

[​IMG] Delcatty's energy draw lets you build up your hand (always useful), and gets energy in the discard pile.

Skitty: Skitty's Tail Whip has some use for stalling, though the coin flip makes it unreliable.

[​IMG] Firestarter is key to this deck. The main application is to place an energy on an Infernape, along with the energy per turn. It's attack isn't that great, so usually it just sits on the bench.

Combusken: Just as good as Monferno. Bulk Up is very useful, especially if combusken is evolved early.

Torchic: Singe is what makes this Torchic great. Torchic is good as the first active Pokemon, then evolved or shifted for a Skitty.

The Trainer Cards
    Speed stadium: Needed for drawing cards, both for speed and to offset the discarding.

Scott: Grabs supporter cards, and more importantly, Speed stadium.

Rare candy: An evolution must for any stage 2 based deck

Roseanne's research:
    [​IMG] Gets basic Pokemon and basic energy. It replaces the older setup of 2 Holon mentor and 1 Mr. Stone.

Bebe's search: The main Pokemon searcher.

Night maintenance: Recovers some of the many discarded cards.

Dusk ball: Non-supporter help.

TV reporter: Drawing power.

Copycat: Good for card drawing

Professor Rowan: Helps prevent being decked (losing by having no deck left to draw from), along with Copycat.

PlusPower: Helps offset the Double rainbow energy (DRE) penalty. Sometime substituted for strength charm.

Energy
    Double rainbow provides 2 of any energy to any evolved non-ex. Double rainbow is a must in any Infernape deck. Good for any emergency attack.

Fire energy : Obviously needed.

Strategy
    Infernacatty's strength lies in the speed of it's setup. Delcatty is used to help build the setup, and Blaziken and Infernape go from there. The ideal setup to reach is two Infernapes, one benched and one active, and a benched Blaziken. You can attach a :fire: energy per turn to the benched Infernape, then use Firestarter to move a :fire: energy from the discard pile to a benched Pokemon (Infernape). Use Infernape's free retreat to switch the pair, and you have a fully loaded Infernape in active again. And all the energy discarded can be saved up for Infernape lv.X's Flare Up. The beauty of Infernacatty is the speed. Infernape can attack for 90 every second turn, every turn with Blaziken or DRE. Infernape also has Meteor punch, but it can't be relied on.
    Overall, it is a very good deck for those who know how to use it.

Match Ups

Gardilade: 40-60
    Gardilade has just too many advantages, especially if the deck runs Absol. Gardevoir's Psychic Lock can shut down powers, rendering Infernacatty almost helpless. The best way to take down this deck is to not rely on the Poke-powers. Try to get an Infernape right away, and be weary of the Gallades, as Psychic Cut can knock out Infernape the first time they use it. Focus on your Infernapes, and forget the Delcattys altogether.

Blissey Variants: 70-30
    Blissey is very powerful, but is too slow. A quick Infernape-Blaziken-Infernape setup can wipe out the deck. The only worry is if they stall while loading one Blissey. Infernape lv.X should be used if a fully charged Blissey emerges.

Magmortar Decks: 60-40
    These decks can be trouble if Infernacatty has a bad start. Otherwise, it's not too hard. Any Magmortar deck takes awhile to set up. Just get the tech cards (like Absol) out of the way, and hopefully they aren't too lucky with evolving the Typhlosions and Magmortars. Try not to play Speed stadium if you can help it, as they can take advantage.

Emploeon: 40-60
    The HP of Empoleon and Infernape's :water: weakness makes this tough. If you can get a good start, bring an Blaziken up early game, and use Fire Stream, damaging the benched Empoleons-to-be, and then load the discarded :fire: to an Infernape.. If you weaken the Piplups and Prinplups you can KO the Empoleons with one Flare Blitz each.

DarkVile Decks (Darkrai lv.X/Weavile SW): 65-35
    A deck of rising popularity. These usually aren't that hard, but it varies with the attacker they use. Try to get a Monferno or Combusken up turn two, and put a Delcatty on the bench. Get an Infernape-Blaziken-Infernape going, and just keep an eye on water types. I played one and just lost because I didn't KO the Weavile at the first opportunity.

Butterfree: 75-25
    The weakness just kills these decks. For best results get a Monferno up right away, and then put a Infernape-Blaziken-Infernape set up in play. Almost instant KO.

Variants

Without Blaziken:
    Same basic cards, but with the Blaziken line removed. These decks set up faster, but and more dependent on DREs because the energy acceleration is gone. By popular demand, I'll explain more about it.
    Standard Decklist:
    1 Infernape Lv.X DP
    3 Infernape DP
    2 Monferno DP
    4 Chimchar DP
    2 Delcatty ex CG
    3 Delcatty PK
    4 Skitty PK

2 Speed stadium DP
    3 Castaway CG
    3 Strength charm DF
    2 PlusPower DP
    1 Holon mentor DF
    2 Roseanne's research SW
    4 Bebe's search MT
    2 Night maintenance MT
    1 Copycat DF
    2 Team galactic's wager
    2 Felicity's drawing GE
    2 Quick ball MT

4 Double rainbow energy
    11 Fire

Strategy
    This deck is all about bringing up an Infernape and heavy hitting. Build up a Delcatty on the bench, and use energy draw to keep Infernape going. The 4 DREs cover the loss of the Blaziken line.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gyrados delta*: (ex Holon Phantoms)
    A lethal card to use, and it combos with Upstream and Flare Up. By manipulating the cards between the discard pile and deck, you can continuously do massive damage. A good card to cover the weakness against Empoleons and Gardilade.

Chingling: (Secret Wonders)
    Give early acceleration of supporter cards, which is always useful.

Typhlosion: (Mysterious Treasures)
    Many people run Typhlosion instead of Blaziken. I find Blaziken better, because 10 damage to all opponent's benched is handy, and this deck takes advantage of discarding.

Magneton: (ex Power Keepers)
    Sometimes run instead of Delcatty, to return lost energies, since a normal set up loses one fire energy every turn, and some players want them back right away.

Thanks to James, the leader of my favorite league, for helping me play test the Empoleon variant decks against my Infernacatty.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. Politoed EX

Politoed EX New Member

There already is an infernape/delcatty article in the archetype section...

and why do u only have 2 DREs in this list?
    Infernape needs 4 imo

3. Muscovy Level X

DREs

I've actualy found that you only wants lots of DREs in the without Blaziken varient.

My version of Infernacatty came 3rd in Cities, and 8th in Provincials. DREs over :fire:s make it hard to rely on Flare Up.

4. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

Play 4 DREs and take out the blaze line. It makes the deck set up a lot faster and consistent and the deck can run just as fine with relying dres. Also you can easily rely on flare up late game. As my energy line I used 4 DRE and 12 fire and I was able to do flare up for 4 turns in a row which happened many times. You don't need blaziken and it only makes the deck worst. Also take out the speed stadium.

5. LILNINO

LILNINO New Member

i agree blaziken slows down the deck but if it works for you all props to you man keep doin what your doin and win...:thumb:

6. Muscovy Level X

I've been fine tuning mine since DP first came out. I actualy first tried the without Blaziken varient, but this one has proved much beter.
    With Blaziken, this deck becomes UNSTOPABLE once Blaziken and an Infernape pair is in play.

7. Flygon999

Flygon999 New Member

-2 Torchic
    -1 Combusken
    -2 Blaziken

+2 DRE
    +1 Skitty
    +1 Delcatty
    +1 Plus Power

8. Muscovy Level X

Everyone, this article is on the with Blaziken Infernacatty version. Live with it.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Anyone who wants to talk about the without Blaziken variety should start a thread about that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  9. Alazor

Alazor Active Member

Add a Latios (GE) and a Holon's Castform, so you can charge up and do 120 damage.
    Instead of TV Reporter you can use Felicity's Drawing.
    Sableye (CG) might still work here.
    You could use Typhlosion instead of Blaziken.
    The only problem is that it takes a while to do heavy damage and you need to find a way to handle your deck when your poke-powers are shut off.

10. Muscovy Level X

I agree about the felicity's drawings.

11. Blaziken 1111

Blaziken 1111 Active Member

If you are going to play blaziken at least play typhlosion because its better unless you play blaze GE.

12. Ajax

Ajax New Member

I agree add in a 1-1-1 line of blaziken GE, as sniping for 80 is always handy;)

13. Muscovy Level X

I use Blaziken over Typhlosion because it's discard isn't that bad, concidering flare up, and the 10 damage to opponent's benched has it's uses. I agree that Typhlosion is better for most Firestarter decks.

14. vitor_

vitor_ New Member

- 2 blaziken
    - 1 combuskem
    - 2 torchic
    -2 speed stadium
    -1 scoot
    -2 dusk ball
    -1 copycat
    -1 fire enrgy

+ 2 delcatty pk
    + 1 delcatty ex
    + 2 holon mentor
    + 2 TVR
    + 2 double rainbow
    + 1 roseannes
    + 2 plus power

the infercatty deck in Brazil is...

15. Muscovy Level X

How many times do I have to say it? There is the with Blaziken and the without Blaziken. Deal with it.

Just so you know: "scoot" is actualy spelled "Scott".

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Does everyone agree with the machups?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.