Intentional Grounding vs Sand Attack

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by numberonejuniperfan, Dec 7, 2017.

1. numberonejuniperfan

numberonejuniperfan New Member

In the rulebook section "FULL DETAILS OF ATTACKING" (pg. 20), it reads:

D) Do anything the attack requires you to do to use it. For example, you must flip a coin if an attack says "Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing."
    E) Apply any effects that might alter or cancel the attack. For example, if an attack that was used against your Pokémon last turn says, “If the Defending Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack does nothing.”

Passimian BUS 79's Intentional Grounding attack reads "Discard a Pokemon Tool card from your hand. If you don't, this attack does nothing." Suppose I announce this attack and my Passimian was attacked by Sandshrew EVO 64's Sand Attack last turn. Would the Tool discard happen before the Sand Attack flip - i.e., is it possible for me to discard a Tool, then flip Tails for Sand Attack, resulting in me losing a Tool in my hand but dealing no damage?

Put another way, is the Tool discard a cost/prerequisite for the attack (in which case it belongs in step D)? Or is it an "effect that might alter or cancel the attack" (in which case it belongs in step E, along with the effect of Sand Attack itself)?

bulbasnore likes this.