Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef 2011-Sign Ups Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegeta ss4

Iron Chef Leader
After a two year hiatus, the Iron Chef is back and hopefully as good as it used to be with its founder Cyrus. He made this competition unique, competitive, fun, and great for newer players trying to learn about this great game. After some talk with a few people and still waiting on 100% approval from a few admins in terms of PM space, we can begin the sign ups.

For those of you who do not know what this competition is, it is a fairly simple competition that is complex with skill. Iron Chef is as follows...

You will be given a certain Pokémon card/'s from any of the Pokémon sets. Your objective is to make a deck based around that card as your "main ingredient." You will graded on how well you incorporate the card/'s into a deck. The grading criteria will be as follows from the original maker of this game Cyrus, I believe in no need to change something that doesn’t need changing;

DECK: When you're building a good Iron Chef deck, the "DECK" category refers specifically to the list and its sheer quality. Ask yourself these questions during the deck building process...

-Is consistency (ex: Pokémon/Trainers/Energy used for setting up) the best it can possibly be?
-Does it have the highest quality lines on key trainers, and am I making the right choices overall (example: playing four rare candy in an all-basic deck)?
-Does it have the right balance of Pokémon?
-Are there any really weak spots with this decklist (while Iron Chef Judge’s should hardly ever factor in the metagame, they should put heavy emphasis on the format which the challenge is under, and what potential universal threats may harm the list)?
-Is there a good energy count (too much, too little, or even other issues like playing Holon's Pokémon, etc.)?
-Do I have ways to protect myself from the game's more basic mechanics, like Stadiums and status (at the time of writing this guide, shockwave/imprison/other markers are not a reason to vote a deck up/down)?

CREATIVITY: It is extremely important to play a well-balanced, consistent list, but the competitors are also demanded to make decks that are not necessarily common or unoriginal. While Card Use is very well-defined, and it's usually pretty obvious to judge the quality of a list, creativity is easily the most subjective of all categories. Please keep these questions in mind...

-Is this not only a good deck, but a unique one as well?
-What can I do in my write-up/list to convince my judge to agree?
-Can I make excellent choices on trainers and energy without sacrificing the consistency of the deck?

CARD USE: While the above two categories focus on what you do within the deck, the "Card Use" category is much more focused. We're looking at everything you do revolving around the CHALLENGE, and only those things. You should hardly ever address all of these issues, but at least keep them in mind during the deck building process.

For Cards...

-Has everything that distinguishes this card from others been abused? Powers, Bodies, interesting attacks, drawbacks on attacks, bizarre attack costs, etc...
-Has weakness been covered?
-Is the unique title/type for the card (Metal, Darkness, ex, delta species, baby, *, etc.) properly complimented? For example, are you playing Metal in a metal Pokémon deck (unless unnecessary), Holon-abusing trainer cards in a delta deck, or even "not" playing stuff like DRE in an all-ex deck?

For themes, you will be graded only slightly differently. The above will be considered, _plus_ how well your cards work within the theme.

GRADING RUBRIC!!!

As of right now, the current maximum score is 20 (10/10, 5/5, and 5/5), and the minimum is 3 (1/10, 1/5, and 1/5). While the number I or any other judge would give out is fun to look at, what ultimately matters in terms of the competition is if yours is higher than the opponent's. Keep in mind, though, that the numbers are an attempt to express judge opinion in a technical way.

As a quick guide, here's what I consider each grade as:

20-18: Masterful.
15-17: Excellent.
12-14: Great.
9-11: Okay.
6-8: Mediocre.
3-5: Bottom tier.

The sign-ups will last approximately 10 days, plus 2 days of verification of names and such.

Things to know, I will be the Head Judge, I control the scoring and prize support.
YES. Prize support, unless the 'gym has a few prizes they may want to donate to a good cause in making the gym a better place for newer players, which is why I am doing this.

More to follow on this, for now the need to know;
-You are making a deck based on a theme/card/idea
-You will be graded by me after you submit your entries (more to follow on this later)
-THERE WILL BE PRIZES!!!
-Have fun, this is one of the greatest games on the gym.

Update 1​
There will be format changes in the top cut so it makes it a bit harder. For the 1st few challenges they will be current format on, just straight forward good deck building. Also, if everything goes according to plan, there will be a total of 4 pods divided evenly and randomly with a Top 32 cut.

Update 2​
There will be 3 rounds of "swiss". Then there will be a topcut of top 32. There will also be 4 Pods in which the top 8 from each Pod will go to the top 32. The pods will be randomly assigned from the roster via a coin flip with a 4 sided dice. Pod 1 will play pod 3, pod 2 will play pod 4. Top ranked from each pod will play lower ranked from the opponents pod and so on.

The 3 rounds of swiss will have a challenge of the following...
Round 1 will be a Stage 2 Pokemon
Round 2 will be a Stage 1 Pokemon
Round 3 will be a basic Pokemon.

The Pokemon cards will be given for each Pod at the start of the tournament. You will have 1 week to complete the challenge and sumbit to me. We still have 2 days until signups are complete, then the pods will be assigned with the challenges.

1st place overall will recieve-
1 Booster Box of the current set
1 complete set of used but very good condition of Silver Pikachu Sleeve
Undisclosed amount of random primes and legend from any set.
A winner title under your username(if permitted by admins)

2nd Place will recieve-
10 Packs of a current set.
Undisclosed amount of random Primes and legends from any set.
A runner-up title under your username(if permitted by admins)

3rd/4th Place will recieve-
A hug if I meet them in person(best prize of them all)

CURRENT ROSTER​

1. yuki potsd
2. untitled
3. L the Great
4. Cyrus
5. sdrawkcab
6. Mama Luigi
7. psychup2034
8. chase4787
9. waynegg
10. Jason
11. Articjedi
12. Politoed666
13. yoyofsho16
14. DragonClyne725
15. theunhipster
16. Magneboar
17. gallade
18. Hatter
19. sunchris
20. nnaann
21. Rainbowgym
22. Elite 4 Allen
23. charcharchar
24. eriknance
25. Jariel
26. Victory Bell
27. Ace-
28. jumpluff82
29. shinygyrados
30. GoldenSwablu
31. bullados
32. Pooka
33. shmup-o
34. smacktack15
35. richkid50000
36. Ryuzaki Lawliet
37. PkB
38. hampuse1
39. WinkWinkNudgeNudge
40. Barkjon
41. AzUK
42. Blitzer
43. Magnechu
44. tinox6
45. Trifonic
46. Gowk
47. Son of Apollow
48. Zard1111
49. sKizor
50. Volt
51. ShadowGuard
52. cabd
53. LOLZ
54. Sceptile King
55. Redwater
56. Prodigiosus
57. Redados1
58. Slapstick
59. patthemanvan
60. fluteboy09
61. BrightRush
62. pkmn202
63. goldedda
64. Shino Bug Master
65. KingPiplup
66. pokemonrocks777
67. Darkwalker
68. Brawler
69. The King
70. Dialga Master
71. conical
72. Cardszmaster2004
73. platinumwaiter
74. headsrcool
75. ShuckleLVX
76. machampion12
77. Cardkeeper

Again, more to follow with this, but as of right now...Let the sign-ups..
BEGIN!!

Last edited:
Sure I'll sign up for this, and I'm pretty sure the answer's no but can we only use cards from the modified format?

It said judges won't take the metagame into account but I don't think the first post specified the format.

RE Untitled: IDK how Vegeta will do it, but in past seasons I've run alternate format matches. That could entail unlimited if he so desires.

Either way, I'm in! Eager to get my feet wet in a competition other than my own.

P.S. I didn't make the game - I just made it cool. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm in.....keep in mind the last iron chef had over 100 entries....are you sure you're up to the task?

I'll try this.
Will there be multiple elimination rounds, or will you base the final results on one round?

Last edited:
I'm in.....keep in mind the last iron chef had over 100 entries....are you sure you're up to the task?

I believe I am more than capable of pulling this off. I am hoping to see more than 100 entries:thumb:

Editted in response to some people's questions. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I will update the questions on this thread and give the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back