Iron Chef Top 16 Challenge!! Group 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Deck Contests' started by Vegeta ss4, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegeta ss4

Vegeta ss4 Iron Chef Leader

Congratulations on making into the Top 16.
    Here are the 16 players that have made into the Top 16 in case you do not know.
    names are in no particular order
    Rambo
    Hatter
    hampuse1
    sKizor
    Eonic
    pokemonrocks777
    vaporeon
    Ace-
    Rainbowgym
    PMysterious
    goldedda
    KingPiplup
    Time for Pain
    cabd
    SuperE
    Matijs

This challenge will be a tough one in my mind. With 16 players, it could be difficult. But I do think it is possible. The challenge will be the same for everyone and it is the same challenge used in the championship round of last years tournament, but, it will have a slight twist. I call it modified Free-Art.

Here is the rundown of the challenge, CREATE ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!
    simple right?
    Yes and NO, it just wouldn't be Iron Chef without a twist. So here it is;
    NO Supporters
    NO Basic Energy
    NO Poke Energy(Holon Castform, Holon Magnemite, etc)
    Only common and uncommon, no rares!!!

The challenge is for everyone, just hope ot beat your opponent, basically.

Again, this is EXACTLY how modified Free-Art works;
    Build a deck of whatever you want, it needs to be creative, if it is NOT you get an Auto Zero for creativity score. This means if you play Flaridos with a tech, it is still Flaridos and you will get a ZERO! You need to actually abuse the card use, there will be a ton of sets to choose from. Also, make the deck consistent and abide by general pokemon rule of thumb. Rule of thumb is basically "this is how you win", "this is how I lose", "It may be hard to retreat" "I need This much energy to attack". There are a lot more examples, but it is a basic.

Keep in mind, these decks are not meant to beat anything, think of it as a solitaire mode kind of deck. Build it for that.

Here is the Ban List-
    • NO BAN LIST with exception of what is stated above in the red color
    • You are NOT playing against a deck, just a general understanding of game mechanics.
    • The format is EVERY CARD that's not above in the red color, which means ALL Pok√©mon sets, from base set, trainer kits, promos, Plasma storm, EVERYTHING!!!
    • Also, for a twist...ALL COIN FLIPS ARE CONSIDERED WHATEVER YOU WANT THEM TO BE. H or T's, you choose. Due note, be careful with how you abuse this mechanic.

I think this will test EVERYONE, no matter the skillset. This will be very interesting to grade and HARD for you to make.
    Here is the bracket again, for those wondering!!!
    Top 16 Bracket

The bracket tells you EXACTLY who you are playing.

If this challenge isn't clear, feel free to PM me questions or please post on this thread for all to read. I will answer rather quickly for the next couple of hours.

Also, just because I am mean:p
    The deadline for this will tough for everyone, the deadline will be MUCH shorter. Here it is;
    February 22 1159 CST.

2. cabd

cabd New Member

In other words, play flippy deck, win everything. Sigh.

3. Vegeta ss4

Or, lose everything. I said, "due note, don't rely on this game mechanic too much."

It will be costly to your score.

It is worth saying this, Just because you do NOT include a single flippy card, your score will NOT reflect it. Just because you use a Flippy card, depending on the reliance of the flip it will NOT affect your score.

4. cabd

cabd New Member

Ah, see, that clarification helps somewhat.

5. King Piplup

King Piplup Active Member

Are all Base-Nintendo Era "Trainers" now items? What is the stance?

How is Computer Search being handled?

6. vaporeon

vaporeon Moderator

So we can only play with special energy?

7. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

There is an official ruling on how the current line of Trainers work with both the TSS and the Pre-TSS era. Basically, it reads something like this...

1) Items = DP-HS Trainers = pre-DP not-Supporter, not-Stadium.

2) If a mechanic refers to a specific Trainer designation, then it works on any TSS that fits the definition of that Trainer designation from that era.

Basically, if a DP-HS mechanic refers to a "Trainer", then it will not affect a Supporter or a Stadium, only TSS that fit what a "Trainer" would be in the BW-HS era. If a BW-on mechanic refers to an "Item", then it will only affect what an "Item" would be defined as in other generations.

You can ask the question in ATM. They'll probably give a more clear answer than I just gave.

8. King Piplup

Fine and good Bullados, but that doesn't solve Base-last WOTC set.

9. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I don't see how it doesn't. Up until the Gym sets, there were no Stadiums. Up until the Ecard sets, there were no Supporters. The rulings follow logically from the rulings made on the current cards and sets.

10. cabd

cabd New Member

Go read the rules team. Even they are waiting on japan on how we treat the old Computer Search vs the new one in unlimited.

11. Vegeta ss4

Here is my stance on Computer Search. As I have read we cannot play the old computer search in today's format. My logic to this would mean because of this unofficial ruling, it would mean they are NOT the same. You just cannot have more than four. So this means for this round you can play MULTIPLE computer search.

12. hampuse1

hampuse1 New Member

"Only common and uncommon, no rares!!!"

This means no holos/ultra rares either right? :p

13. Eonic

Eonic New Member

Just to confirm:

1. You stated "Only common and uncommon, no rares", is this assuming that Ultra Rares are banned as well? (Ninja'd by hampuse, oh well :p)

2. Are all NON-Supporter Trainer cards legal?

3. We can use any Special Energy card, correct?

14. Vegeta ss4

Non supporter trainers are legal.

If a holo is rare, no you cannot play it. Ultra Rare is obviously not allowed, did you really have to ask?

15. King Piplup

You said "rare". Better safe then sorry.

16. Vegeta ss4

It also says only common/uncommon.

17. SolarPichu

SolarPichu Member

Computer Search is a rare.

18. Vegeta ss4

Well spotted, I overlooked it being a rare.

19. Rambo

Rambo Active Member

Do promos count as rares? As they're all stars..

20. Vegeta ss4

Again, if it is NOT a common or an uncommon, you CANNOT play it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.