Iron Chef Top 4 , OFFICIAL SCORES!

Discussion in 'Deck Contests' started by Vegeta ss4, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Vegeta ss4

Vegeta ss4 Iron Chef Leader

ALL SCORES ARE UNOFFICIAL.

As you may have noticed in my last thread. I stated this round will be up to the viewers as well as me in terms of who wins this round. I stand by that.

So here is it how it will work. Anyone who wants to vote on the winner, simply give a score to EACH person as I do. I will average them all out and compare to my score and average that out to get the complete score. I think this is the best way to go this round, like I have said numerous of times, I can make a mistake from time to time. SO with that, here are the Top 4 scores for this round. Enjoy.

The Top 4 players may vote, but only on opposite bracket matchups. This means you cannot have an input on you or your opponents deck, only the other matchup.

Hatter vs Eonic

This deck definitely is another "skill based" deck. It also requires you to have "key cards" at certain points in the deck. I am worried about a card being prized that is crucial to the strategy. I would have like to see a Town Map in this deck. It will allow a chance for you to actually get the lock going. I also feel though, that once you get this lock going, by that time what is the point? In this format, Big Stage 2 Pokémon being basics mean this is a FAST format, even if it is Singleton. I think this needs a form of acceleration and an actual attacker that is creative. It truly seems your answer for this deck is Machamp SF. All in all, if this deck sets up, you simply win by Machamp SF cleaning house.

Your score is - 8/10 4/5 5/5 = 17/20
    Viewer Opinion average = 15.5
    Total Score = 16.25

This deck is very similar to Hatter's. It does have a potential for a "sort of" lockdown, but it is also different in that it has different search. In reality, this deck is just a purely consistant build. I like the trainer lines and energy as well. You have solid search. Overall it is a solid entry.

Your score is - 8/10 3/5 5/5 = 16/20
    Viewer Opinion average = 17
    Total Score = 16.5

WINNER IS - Eonic

I like the deck, possibly the most consistent of them all. You have a sound strategy against "failed" plans. I like the Town Map, very good card for this style format. The creativity in my opinion is not that bad. Consistent and Creative is a good deck imo.

Your score is - 9/10 4/5 5/5 = 18/20
    Viewer Opinion average = 15.666667
    Total Score = 16.83

Solid entry, I really like Gengar in this format. I do think with such high amount of Pokémon in this deck, consistency may be a little hard. The deck is has it flaws but you did your best to cover up those flaws.

Your score is - /10 4/5 5/5 = 17/20
    Viewer Opinion average = 16.666667
    Total Score = 16.83

They are tied, but I believe the correct tie breaker is the player I chose the winner.
    WINNER IS - Rainbowgym

3rd Place - Time for Pain
    4th Place - Hatter

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Did I serious again understood the challenge wrong?
    ONE 1 of each basic energy was my understanding, and I see all others using more than 1 of each.

Man I would have made a very different deck if I only knew 8 of each basic nrg type were allowed.

3. Vegeta ss4

I like your list better this way. More versatile!

I also did state that you can have up to 8 basic energy. 8 of one particular kind or 8 different basic energy, it didn't matter.

4. Eonic

Eonic New Member

To be frank, I'm very confused about the scoring between Hatter and myself. I felt that my score of 3/5 creativity points while every other player received a 4/5 wasn't explained at all, and I would like to know why you thought so. I believed that the use of Stoutland, Meganium+Flygon, Dusknoir+Reuniclus+Miasma Valley, and Seeker held creativity, especially in a singleton format. Also, I would like to note that I think my deck is not similar to Hatter's design, as his deck is geared completely towards a lock. In my build, I included Vileplume because it's great utility, and can be searched by Venusuar and Beedrill. It's kind of like a "last resort" type card, searched out if the moment needs it to be. The focus of my deck is not for stalling/locking, but to achieve quick KOs with attackers that can hit hard, and be moved to a different attacker afterwards with Meganium, and heal off any damage.

Also, I'm puzzled on your grading with Hatter's deck and the comments you put down. They seem to contradict each other. You stated that once the lock is setup, what's the point, because the format is very fasted-paced, as well as the deck having few attackers. I agree with both points; even with having Kabutops as the active, Trainer locking is inferior in this format, as a lot of decks can function on abilities alone. With Venusuar out, searching for Pokemon that have the capability to draw is quite easy, such as Gardevoir (copies opponent's supporters) or Magnezone Prime. Both card, and plenty of other Pokemon with drawing abilities, are still able to attach energies, retreat, and attack with easy. And as I mentioned, I also agree with the fact that Hatter runs very few attackers. Out of all his Pokemon, only four are have the capacity of attacking in the deck, being Kabutops, Machamp, Stoutland, and Gothitelle. Of those four, Stoutland and Gothitelle are very sub-par attackers, to be honest, and the amount damage output they give allows the opponent to gain an advantage without any trouble. Kabutops and Machamp it seems are what deck wants to attack with, but with Machamp as the active opponent, the deck's purpose of locking is useless, as they can still play Supporters and Items. Now it goes down to Kabutops, while it does provide the best locking ability, even it doesn't compare to other attackers available. At best, it can 2 Hit KO an opponent's Pokemon, assuming the opponent's doesn't retreat or heal, both of which are very common in this format. Kabutops' attack can give 10 damage to the bench as well, but it very dependent on Ampharos to work efficiently, and the opponent can work are it's ability. Additionally, the third point you made brings up a good point. What if Kabutops is prized, or if Machamp is prized? The deck then has virtually no form of damage output.

I really don't want to make it seem like I'm completely bashing Hatter's deck, because I enjoyed reading it quite a bit. But I felt as if I needed to address my concerns, in case they were overlooked or not given enough attention. This would apply for my deck as well. Now, I know I didn't comment at all for the matchup between Rainbowgym and Time for Pain, but I'll be voting on that soon, this post took a little longer to write than I first thought. I defiantly will get in my vote though.

5. Vegeta ss4

You make some valid points. I scored his because the challenge isn't really "beat your opponents deck.". It is more like, make a deck with the knowledge of knowing your opponent is playing the same exact format. Which is why I think his was slightly better. The creativity with yours is HARD to pull off while being consistent. I did NOT overlook it, but if I could give out .5's, your creativity would receive that score. I don't round up, I round down.

6. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

I really didn't get that part, in singleton I "read" you can have 8 basic energy as: "one of each type".
    For this deck it wouldn't make much difference, but I absolute would have turned in a "red Team" deck (with Charizard as main attacker) if I had understood I could use 8 fire energy.

If I proceed to the next round I serious have to ask more questions to be sure I don't "read" what isn't there.

About Hatters deck,
    I don't get it why he even uses Gardevoir.
    If you want to go the Stoutland/Vileplume way, your opponent will have one of even no supporters in the discard.
    I have thought about sending in such deck but I would always put cards like Crobat or Empoleon in it to ensure draw (as back up for Magnezone just in case).

7. Eonic

Eonic New Member

I'm just not sure why you believe my deck is inconsistent. I don't have time at the moment to go more in-depth, but would like to point out that my deck is designed with flexibility in mind. Your not supposed to get out all your attackers, and all your supports. Only based on what the situation calls for, and the deck it's playing against. I'll try post more later tonight, as I'm just simply not seeing why it's viewed as not being consistent. While I respect your opinions, I would like to know what others think as well, if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts.

8. psychup2034

psychup2034 New Member

There's a lot of mention of Town Map in the judge's comments. I think it's worth pointing out that Alph Lithograph (FOUR) is strictly better than Town Map, as your opponent will not have knowledge of the prize that you have taken.

9. Vegeta ss4

why not run both?

10. cabd

cabd New Member

You're kidding, right?

11. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Decks with Gallade SW don't want to use Town Map.

and

people above 45 years old don't want to use Alph (your memory is getting worse for that one to use) LOL

12. King Piplup

King Piplup Active Member

Because the odds of prizing a one of are minuscule enough that the odds of incredibly key cards being prized AND Alph Litho are incredibly low?

13. Vegeta ss4

Is it THAT obvious?

Anyways, so today and part of tomorrow will be the deciding factor on whether or not these scores stick.

Also, anyone have a challenge they would want to see for the finals? I'm going to utilize plasma freeze for sure.

14. King Piplup

King Piplup Active Member

[del]PLF Limited, obviously.[/del]

15. Vegeta ss4

That sounds incredibly horrible!!!

16. cabd

cabd New Member

Want to really stretch the bounds of creativity?

Make it so that ONLY cards printed in theme decks are legal. Every theme deck, ever made. ONLY those cards. Bulbapedia has a nice list of what those are.

17. Vegeta ss4

Hmm...seems pretty interesting.

18. cabd

cabd New Member

Naturally you'd want one or two other aspects to it, but that's a really interesting place to start.

It's kind of like the old formats where in Japan everyone got the same pool of cards and had to build from those.

19. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Easy format.

I build ZekEels. Stomp everything.

20. cabd

cabd New Member

SS4's not nearly daft enough to not think of that. Hence the "one or two other twists"