Is a Stall/Wall deck viable?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by NoPoke, Oct 19, 2003.

1. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Lets get first things first.

Under no circumstances am I suggesting cheating through deliberate slow-play.

But as has just been pointed out in another thread there is no longer a tournament disadvantage to a win on prizes compared with taking all six prizes.So: is a stall deck viable?

Aim of a Stall/Wall deck...

To get ahead on prizes and then put up a wall to maintain that position until time is called.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  2. Dek

Dek New Member

Well I dont see why not. If you have less prizes than your oppoenent by the time the match is over, you win. And, obviously, you are trying to get all your prizes before your opponenet does. So I think it would be legal.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Well, you don't even have to be trying to get all your prizes to have a legal win. As long as you are not deliberately slowing play and allowing your opponent to have his turns, it's not illegal stalling.

The trick would be to get up on prizes...

4. dkates

dkates New Member

Yeah -- or to deck your opponent. Either of which would be difficult in either format, although it would be a bit easier in E-on, since Elm and Cleffa are gone. The trick is to stay alive long enough.

5. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

I suppose the deck would be legal but I'm not sure if a really good wall deck could be built in EON. There is a lot less healing now that Gold Berry and Pokemon Center are gone along with Scoop Up. I'm also not sure which pokemon to use. Sure the EX's have high HP but your opponent can gain ground real fast if they knock one out. The Chansey's and Blisseys we have are flip reliant in their healing effects. You could maybe use Aquapolis Azumarril, but 70 HP is in OHKO range and for it to scoop itself up it needs to be on the bench and win a flip.

6. penguin_master

penguin_master New Member

You can run 12 fossils;4 root,4 claw, 4 Mysterious.Your opponent doesn't draw prizes when they are knocked out.

7. Ultramew

Ultramew New Member

Did you mean only those 12 in 1 deck? Or along with other pokemon, otherwise I'd see it pointless doing that. Well something I saw was maybe SS Xatu, get 4 out, and no matter what the pokemon, you can remove 4 damage counters. Whilst you can slowly drain away at all opponents pokemon as well.

8. Baboon

Baboon New Member

There's always a chance of it working. The question just is how. It is true that healing is very limited in Modified currently. The easiest way I could see to do it is with Metal Energy of course, and then a lot of healing and so on. The Fossils wouldn't hurt.

I could see one potentially working, but good luck pulling it off. ;)

9. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Metal won't protect the fossils with the new rules.

10. Ez1

Ez1 New Member

raichu ex with 12 fossils might work..........the rodent can do some major damage quickly....
    enough to get ahead on prizes and then feed out fossils........a couple of loaded up
    yellow rats sitting on your bench in late game might help ensure a win......
    if nothing else it might really annoy your opponent....

don't know if anyone has tried it though.....

11. Porygon3

Porygon3 New Member

what happens if time runs out and both of you are tied?

12. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

Don't you both just get one point...?

13. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

I've been wondering too if it's possible to build a decent E-on stall. With Gardevoir EX in the picture, it's pretty tough right now. But, a Fossil, Wailmer EX, Multi TM deck paired with a fast Pokemon that can get the first prize or two could certainly work. Throw Mirage Statium in things could stall for a while. If there was a way to recylce Fossils (without using attacks)... stall decks would be VERY possible in E-on. JMO.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  14. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

There are ways to recycle Fossils, even in EON. Try Sandstorm Linoone for example. 70 HP and no retreat cost, pull a Fossil out, then place it on the bench and retreat, and repeat. good late game stall, with exception of Linnone will most likely be knocked out within 2 attacks, alot of the times 1. Unfortunately the only way to recycle cards from the discard pile are all attacks, not trainers.....

15. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

According to the Floor Rules, both players receive 1 point if they are tied on Prizes at the end of the game.