Is Delcatty the "next cleffa"?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Turbo Blastoise, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Turbo Blastoise

Turbo Blastoise New Member

I've been hearing lately here on these forums that Delcatty is "the next Cleffa" and "if you don't put 4x in your deck, you'll be sorry" and stuff like that. But is it really going to be that essential in the new "eon" format? I would think that it would see lots of play since it's only fighting weak and since we won't see ND Tyrogue anymore, it'll stay out mostly for a few turns to use it's main attack. But what does everyone here think? Will it see a lot of play in tournaments and in decks? Is Delcatty the "next cleffa"?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Only if the format is EX-on, imo.
    For e-on, there's enough other draw and search power to not make the card investment worthwhile.

3. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Just as PokePop said, for EX-on, Delcatty is quite useful, but Expedition through Skyridge have enough other Trainers to get you somewhere. Copycat is more likely replacing Cleffa as being in most every deck (since it HAS been in a large number of decks already). ;)
    Personally, I hope no single card is in every deck, but that will not happen... People always float towards the best card out there (for good reasons). Now if there were MORE choices, there prolly wouldn't be one single card everyone needs. ;)

4. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

I think the biggest strike against Delcatty is that it's an evolution. One of the best things about Cleffa was you could get it out and ready in one turn without having to team it up with any other cards besides an energy.

5. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Lets see why cleffa was super good. It was a basic. It only required one energy. It was a built in elm. It had a baby power, and it was free retreat. Not only that, but it had no weakness or resistance. It was pure speed. Delcatty on contrast is a evolution, you have to discard an energy to draw 3 cards, once a turn, and has a retreat and a fighting weakness. Delcatty is SO far from cleffa, it is scary.

6. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

Hes not comparing it with cleffa though, hes just asking if its the next card drawing staple for the next mf

7. P_A

P_A Active Member

It may not be the next cleffa, but I use it in a couple decks with fisherman as well. I find I'm never without options because I usually have a large hand. The things I find though are: that I use a lot of the deck so I have to have a fairly fast deck to complement it, and at least 1 town volunteer, just for pokemon. By the way, I have 2 in each deck and usually I end up being able to get both out. There's been times I purposely use just one.

8. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I think it's too much of an investment into your deck too be considered a staple. You need skitty in your deck to use it. And you would probably need some extra energy to run it effectively without screwing your resources.

9. P_A

P_A Active Member

Actually, I don't use more energy, I use a couple fisherman to manage my energy better. I'm sure this is a subject that we have our personal preferences. I just find there are some decks that Delcatty is usable and a good strategy, I'm sure there are lots of decks that couldn't use it, and players that would rather not use it as well.