Is Infernape Still Viable in Today's Format?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by PokemansForGeeks, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PokemansForGeeks

PokemansForGeeks New Member

I was just wondering because I wanted to dust off my old Infernacatty deck for Regionals but didn't want to get manhandled.

I don't see why it's not, though. T2 90? What can beat that?

2. PokeMontoya

PokeMontoya New Member

the way it was built at states and when played a certain way its a beast it beat my banette 2-1 it was close though and it handled gardy well also

3. ~`Flygon`~

~`Flygon`~ New Member

Blazey version is the best way to play it sice u get sniping in a deck that really needs it.Only version that can beat Banette IMO

4. ryanvergel

ryanvergel New Member

What beats it?

GG and Magmortar?

5. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

*Psychic Locks*

(?)

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Ape is an extremely viable deck right now. If it didn't have such a bad GGF matchup, then it would effortlessly be tier one. I'll elaborate on why:

-Beats Magmortar (if you don't think it does, challenge me on Apprentice, and I'll likely win)
    -Beats Banette (if you don't think it does, challenge me on Apprentice and I'll likely win...Although it's a lot harder than my Magmortar matchup)
    -Beats Blissey and Gatr with the right techs (more situational matchups, I'll admit...Without the proper techs, you have issues vs bliss, and get torn to shreds by gatr)
    -Tends to work well versus rogue, and will almost never choke versus bad lists.

RE Flygon: "Blazey" version? Go into details about what is in the "Blaze" version, because at least from my experience last format, "Blazing Apes" just bogged down the consistency of the deck.

RE Ardoptres: you mentioned just one reason why Ape is so bad versus GG. IMO, the _main_ reason why Ape loses is because of its pathetically-low HP, as well as its inability to OHKO until later. Keep those issues in mind when making Ape lists.

7. empoleonperson

empoleonperson Active Member

the only tech against gater that worked was 2-1-1-1 gardy gallade.
    It worked well in seniors top 4. But he got it out extremly fast.

8. ~`Flygon`~

~`Flygon`~ New Member

Not with Catty,its a list like Magmortars,but its just ape with Blazy and Claydol,works the same as Mortar tho.Do u have redshark??I can play u on that.

9. PokeMontoya

PokeMontoya New Member

there was also a 1-1 gallade in masters I heard it helped pretty well