Is Pokemon the Best Out There...?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by tia3, Aug 13, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tia3

tia3 New Member

i am hardly new to the game, but i havent played since fossil. if i was thinking of playing a TCG again, would pokemon be my best bet? or would i be better off trying yu gi oh or magic? or a regular 52-card deck of playing cards. :p i wonder if any of them have much of a following right now. so, whats the best route for me to take? is pokemon still worth it?

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

Id have to say go with MTG ;\

3. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

If you want STAYING power, INTERNATIONAL allegiance... MTG is it.

YGO is strange, losing some HYPE (anyone make it to Madison Square Garden the 9th?) but the tourney environment is UNBALANCED.

I would recommend DRAFTING Pokemon. IT is a blast and fun. the E-series from WotC was a wonderful set to collect and had great pokemon. MODIFIED balanced the tourney environment =)
    The R & S has some nice pokemon...

Play sealed tourneys so you don't have to FETCH cards and it will provide a feel for pokemon.

IMO, I play DBZ by score but it takes a WHILE to get a feel for the game and the STAPLE cards but other than the 'unbalanced' tourney environment there are so many deck possibilities.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  4. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Yup.Pokemon is definately the best TCG hands down! ;) :thumb:

`Sensei :D

5. PokemonCardSell

PokemonCardSell New Member

Pokemon is tons of fun. ;) I recommend going to pokemon rather then magic or anything else.

6. dkates

dkates New Member

Well, think about your audience. Personally, I'm here because Pokemon: TCG is my favorite TCG out there. But is it the best? Only if you think so.

7. well heres a breakdown of the games im playing

Magic the gathering
    WWE Raw deal
    Pokemon (newly returned my self)

dont bother with yugioh i went that route nothing but a money hound and it a thankless game.

if i had to pick one of the games off my list to play right now i would go with WWE Raw Deal its a cheap game and it fun and has lots of stragtery.pokemon is getting a following again in my aera so thats for part the reasson i joined back up again is for a place to play so if pokemon is picking up in your aera you could start playing again and do you even have to ask about magic its a great game been playing it for 7 years or so and would never give it up olny bad thing unless you play extended or t1 or t1.5 then the game could get exspensive.

hope i help a lil

BTW heres a link to the Raw Deal New player site it has everything to get you started even have an offer for 2 free starter decks to get into the game with.

http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/rookie/index.htm

best part is you dont even have to be a wrestleing fan to enjoy it

8. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

If you are patient... DUEL Masters by WotC.

I was described the game... and even MAGIC people inside WotC LIKE the game.

Combinations of Magic, pokemon, imagination.
    You never go energy dry... and if I remember I WAS never told anything about having to FLIP a coin.

9. pokeprofRaymond

pokeprofRaymond New Member

I never played MTG but I recommend as one of the TCG to go through because it has been solid for 10 years and you will get your money's worth. Pokemon TCG is running for 5 years now and its 6th or even more will be Nintendo's hands. As a player/trainer, it is also one of the best TCG games around :thumb: (with many humble beginnings) and will still be one of the best. Its rules are simple, high in strategy and of course fun. It is enjoyed by kids and adults alike and will begin a new era for a better, and a game worth playing/trading for your money's worth as well.

The best route you can go IMO to enjoy the game is to start collecting cards from the E-series up to R&S and Sandstrom in September. Comparing with other cards in the past, the attcks are a little cheaper (meaning (*) energy are more in number especially the evolution cards and some good trainer cards [except being a supporter card ;) ]).

Well I have done my share, let the others in the forum tell you more. :)

10. The Anaconda

The Anaconda New Member

Like Raymond said, Magic is a solid game that has been going for 10 years now. But as such, it would be hard for you to do if you try to catch up to the past. I used to play it (before I started playing Pokemon), but I tried to catch up on the old cards, and, even in their sixth year (when I played), that was very hard to do. However, that won't be a problem if you play in Block-format and Type-2 tournaments, because you wouldn't have to trace down old cards, just buy new ones as they come out.

(Man, I wish I had played in one of the 8th Edition Drafts they were holding at GenCon, I LOVE the new look for the cards!)

11. Android17a

Android17a New Member

I tried magic, but the starter rulebook went right over my head. I'm sticking to Pokémon, the one TCG I can actually work out how to play.

12. Darkleaf Master

Darkleaf Master New Member

Pokemon is definitly number 1 in my book.... I played yugioh for a while... I came running back to Pokemon... Never left it though... and tried to learn magic... but i found the constant tapping and untapping highly annoying.... Yup... Pokemon is number one!!

13. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

LOL is Pokemon worth it you bet it is .. what is the best? That's subjective... But as an ex Magic Player who just missed the glory days of Alpha, Beta and decided to buy 4th Edition MtG (the newer one) over revised I gotta say stick with Pokemon.

The game is much more fun, has some great strategy still and does not require a bank balance of thousands to get a really competative deck together... and keeping up with the both the oldest and newest sets is easy too.

Yep it's Pokemon for me :clap:

14. Nick15

Nick15 Member

I LEFT Magic for Pokémon. What does that say? :p

Actually Magic is a very good game, solid rules, large card pool, great strategy. But I ultimately left Magic because of the players. Magic players (as a whole) just bug the hell out of me. Pokémon players on the other hand are a GREAT bunch of people, they're friendly and equally competitive. There are plenty of ex-Magic players like me who play Pokémon specifically because of the differences in player attitudes. :D

Concerning Duel Masters though, I'll agree with IP, that looks like another very good game to get into. I'll definitely be fronting some money for THAT game. [wide grin]

----

If you want to get back into Pokémon though, EX: Ruby and Sapphire is a great set to start with. In my honest opinion the Card-E block sets (Expedition, Aquapolis, and Skyridge) had some pitiful cards in them, despite the hype. I suspect that once the EX-block start rolling, all the old CardE-block cards will be rendered useless.

Since EX is new and fresh, it's a great time to restart playing Pokémon. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  15. BPM

BPM New Member

Pokémon's my TCG of choice.

I gave Yu-Gi-Oh! a chance because the cartoon is slightly interesting. I played a few games with some friends, but it just didn't really stand out as a great TCG.

I've watched others play Magic. It just confused me.

Pokémon's one of the easiest TCGs to pick up. In my opinion, anyways. That's why I like it...

Besides the fact I'm a Nintendo fanboy. :p

But the fact is... Pokémon is just plain fun.

16. pokeprofRaymond

pokeprofRaymond New Member

Like that was stated in my signature, I believe in this game and all great games have its glory and pains. Who knows..... this TCG will be as solid as it goes through the years.:clap:

17. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

But I ultimately left Magic because of the players. Magic players (as a whole) just bug the hell out of me.

You and me both Nick15 you and me both ...

I still play MtG now and then but with Pokemon Players who find the grandaddy of them all interesting but we're not the MtG Fanatics we could be; Pokemania just leaves little room for MtG L33tism :)

As an aside I have just been asked to run an MtG pre-release but I can't because I am running a Pokemon SE Challenge that weekend instead :thumb:

18. vital

vital New Member

tia? wow are you the same tia from #pokegym??? ... we still have a chan, with most of the old ppl, drop me a line some time. i just chcked this board out of curiousity and see this, weird.

vital@comcast.net

- Brad

19. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

Vital, check your email in your reply, I am wondering if there is an issue with that email tag...

20. djcati

djcati New Member

T3h Pokemon rulez supreme, j0...

Heh.. I'm going for Pokemon here.. But, the Harry Potter TCG is a great game (man, if only Wizards had kept it until July, at least.. ;_; ), and very cheap - I found a box online for only $13. o__o
    I play Star Wars (WotC version) as well, and it's pretty good.. just no cards available where I live, and no players.. :\

Never played MTG, but if you're looking for players, then that's probably your game of choice.. They're everywhere, have been for the past ten years. Can't get rid of them. :p

No, no, stick with Pokemon. Nintendo will prove all those doubters wrong, I'm sure.
    (chyeah, since when have I backed Nintendo?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.