Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

IYO The best techs for GG decks.

The Breeder

Probably an ancient discussion, but I think we need to revive it now with a new series coming up! GG is still the deck to beat in the metagame. People is for the moment fiercely discussing cards to play/tech in order to increase their chances of victory or at least even match ups versus GG. In order for GG to survive it will be forced to adopt to the new climate. In MD we got the Empostar deck that looks really interesting, as well as the Eeveelutions. We also got Garchomp Lv X that probably will make more people play Garchomp variants.

So which cards (except for the Gardiline) do you think is the best to run in a GG. I myself have been trying a bunch including Furret, Claydol, Ampharos (SW), Dusknoir, Dugtrio (CG) etc. I think Dugtrio is a must now with the penguin in order to protect your bench. Unless the Empoleon deck you are facing is running Cess.Crystal it will have a hard time against you. I doubt it will be easy to combine a Cess.Crystal and a well timed Omastar. Dusknoir is pretty much staple, along with Claydol. I personally prefer Furret over Claydol, since Claydol always seems to get in the way for me, and I always have bad luck when drawing cards from the deck. Also Telepass allows you to use multiple supporters per turn, so it can be hard to keep the hand limited at 6 cards constantly.

Opinions people :confused:

Cresselia makes a nice G&G tech, spread around counters you have placed, or take damage off your own pokemon, and Moon Skip at the right time for 2 prizes! The fact that it is Psychic makes it even better in a Mirror Match

i like the sound of omastar good idea try

2/1/2 omastar 4/2/3 gallade a gardy or 2, gardy x, and claydol/pachi, just sonic blade all their pokemon and devolve

several warp point,several cessation , several windstorm

Last edited:
omastar is better in theory than in practice. it wasn't bad when i used it last week at BR but in a hotly contested game where it could make all the difference i found that i was better off using my resources (my trainers and poke powers) to set up the next gardy or gallade for the big fight. to make it work you have to hold onto the requisite parts: fossil, rare candy, omastar as you come across them, especially the first two since they are pretty much unsearchable. which means if you are using claydol that you are weakening cosmic power and not drawing as many cards as you might otherwise.

honestly i think feraligatr or dusknoir is the best GG tech.

Gatr is decent but I dont get now synergy since Magmortar has died down and Gallade can OHKO anything anyway.

The best techs for G&G???Psychic energy,they work wonders in this deck. lol

LatiLock beats Garchomp and Eeveelutions.

Dusknoir beats Garchomp and some Empoleon (especially those running Omastar).

Blastoise d beats Garchomp and Mirror Gardevoirs.

Dugtrio is useful against Empoleon and Magmortar.

So choose dependent on your metagame.

There isn't a "best tech" for everything, but in my opinion Dusknoir is most effective.

LatiLock beats Garchomp and Eeveelutions.

Dusknoir beats Garchomp and some Empoleon (especially those running Omastar).

i'm sorry but omastar pwns dusknoir tech, after you get your whole board lifted like samson are you really gonna candy your dusknoir tech back, no one plays a dusclops

i'm sorry but omastar pwns dusknoir tech, after you get your whole board lifted like samson are you really gonna candy your dusknoir tech back, no one plays a dusclops
Empoleon player would have to get Fossil (which cannot be searched with Celio/Bebe/Roseanne), Candy and Omastar in one streak (and in a turn he isn plox'ed) if he doesn't want to have the bench slot earlier than using the power. Would be somewhat difficult with all that Wagers around.

And in case Gardevoir manages to get Dusknoir back, Empoleon has a useless Pokémon on the bench.

btw, if you fear about Omastar, play 1-0-1 Alakazam.

Dusknoir, by far.
It has a great power which forces your opponent to play with only 3 Benched Pokemon and its attack can abuse Scramble/DRE and is amazing late game when you need to wrap it up and draw your last prize(s).

Bronzong is a useful tech in G&G. When you have it out it works like a cursed stone, plus Coating helps it last a bit longer. G&G w/ Bronzong has won 2 BR's in my area thus far

Eeveelutions with Espeon and Umbreon being the main focus of the deck with a Jolteon added for empoleon

Back