Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Japan's New Format and some new BW rules

Note: Although im not fluent in Japanese, im preety sure i got these right.

Took a look at the Pokemon BW new regulation pdf which contains all the basic rules for the game (like a starter instruction booklet) and saw some interesting rule changes for the game

http://www.pokemon-card.com/howto/playrule/pdf/official_rule_BW.pdf

- Players can now play trainers first turn (since in BW supporters (now called supports) and stadiums now are classified as trainers, one can play any of the 3 types first turn.

example, open sableye, collector, unown dark, crobats, and belt.

- Rare candy cannot be played first turn neither player and cannot be used on pokemon just played same turn.

- powers bodies no longer exist , merged into one again. based off a card scan from actual set in the pdf of the grass starters stage 2.

supports (i.e supporters) now discarded immediatly after play.
-however erratas were issued for cards relying for those such as jirachi RR or bucks training

- prize drawing steps kinda changed , one used to draw a prize after opponents pokemon was discarded and replacement active was sent out, now it is drawn before they promote the new active.

- Japans format is now HGSS-on

Also based on rulebook seems like no new type of pokemon (EX pokemon, or LVL X), mentions legends in it only because of hgss being legal still.

Ill see if i missed anything later on or someone can post if they catch something else

Few translations for cards in pdf

Staaja

leaf blade 10 , flip if heads 30 more

Jarooda 130hp grass
stage 2
ability - royal heal - all pokemon heal 10 in between turns (stacking legal?? no mention of it)

GC grass misaki - 60
move any ammount of grass attached to your pokemon to any other pokemon as you wish

Full restore - trainer (mantan no kusuri) not sure if exactly full restore

Heall a pokemon completly, discard all energy attached to it.

--Professor Aragi - Support

Discard your hand, draw 7

--Pokemon Center - Stadium

At the end of each players turn, that player heals 10 of each of their bench poke

Last edited:
0_0

!!!!!

Wow! Interesting! I wonder if we will see these new rules in Feburary?

There rules make PERFECT! sence for their format, if WE get these rules with sp still legal well idk.. These ruls dont work with our format, not at all, we CANT get them like this :/

- Players can now play trainers first turn (since in BW supporters (now called supports) and stadiums now are classified as trainers, one can play any of the 3 types first turn.

Basically, going first is an advantage again... I can see some good points and bad points in this.

- Rare candy cannot be played first turn neither player and cannot be used on pokemon just played same turn.

Now THIS is gonna be a game-changer. Rare Candy is now a Pokemon Breeder reprint, which hurts Stage 2 speed decks A LOT. With this and the rule above, I hope that Sableye and SP are out of the picture by the time these rules come over here. Less T1 Basic -> Rare Candy -> Stage 2 -> Energy -> donk is nice, but as much as I like SP, we don't need something to further strengthen SP's advantage IMO.

- powers bodies no longer exist , merged into one again. based off a card scan from actual set in the pdf of the grass starters stage 2.

Interesting. Pokemon Powers all over again.

supports (i.e supporters) now discarded immediatly after play.
-however erratas were issued for cards relying for those such as jirachi RR or bucks training

So basically, you can still only play one a turn, but it's discarded, and therefore a valid target for stuff like VS Seeker and Floatzel GL's Incite.

- prize drawing steps kinda changed , one used to draw a prize after opponents pokemon was discarded and replacement active was sent out, now it is drawn before they promote the new active.

I thought that's how it was before.....

- Japans format is now HGSS-on

Great way to balance out the rule changes. DPPt had all of what I was concerned about regarding abusing these rule changes.

Overall, I like the rule changes but like I said earlier, I hope that we're able to move past SP by the time we get these rule changes. Otherwise, I can see them causing a lot of problems.

Going first change = good overall … but as others have said will be a huge advantage for SP in our format. Sableye is huge with this change.

Rare Candy change = good in a non-SP meta … but a huge disadvantage in a meta that includes SP.

Bodies & Powers merged = idk … I hope it’s good but will have to see. Will be very confusing for younger players in a meta that includes Dialga G lv.X, Power Spray, etc.

Supporter changes = idk again. Jirachi will probably need errata as well.

Prize Drawing steps = wash.

Japan’s Format = I wish this is what we had.

Note: Although im not fluent in Japanese, im preety sure i got these right.

This new rule will be interesting making coin flips less important IMO

I wonder what this means for our format next year. Will we end up playing HGSS-on then? Because, to be honest, these rule changes would be really, really bad in our current format, and in an RR-on format, it wouldn't be awful, but maybe not great either. You can really tell these rule changes are specifically targeted at HGSS-on.

Also, anyone else thing Donphan Prime will be incredibly powerful in an HGSS-on format with that Full Restore trainer? You just hit for 60 then 90 (more with ebelt) and take damage until you are close to dead, and then use Full Restore, discard your energies, and then just attach one more to do 60 again, and then just do that over and over.

Also, anyone else thing Donphan Prime will be incredibly powerful in an HGSS-on format with that Full Restore trainer? You just hit for 60 then 90 (more with ebelt) and take damage until you are close to dead, and then use Full Restore, discard your energies, and then just attach one more to do 60 again, and then just do that over and over.
I imagine that Water decks (and all sorts of other types and varieties) will rise in a sudden change in the format that would exclude SPs. Also, Expert Belt is Arceus, so it wouldn't be included in the format.

I wonder what this means for our format next year. Will we end up playing HGSS-on then? Because, to be honest, these rule changes would be really, really bad in our current format, and in an RR-on format, it wouldn't be awful, but maybe not great either. You can really tell these rule changes are specifically targeted at HGSS-on.

In an HGSS on format you wouldn't have expert belt.

Going first change = good overall … but as others have said will be a huge advantage for SP in our format. Sableye is huge with this change.

Rare Candy change = good in a non-SP meta … but a huge disadvantage in a meta that includes SP.

Bodies & Powers merged = idk … I hope it’s good but will have to see. Will be very confusing for younger players in a meta that includes Dialga G lv.X, Power Spray, etc.

Supporter changes = idk again. Jirachi will probably need errata as well.

Prize Drawing steps = wash.

Japan’s Format = I wish this is what we had.

Heck... I'm not a young player and I can't quite wrap my head around what will happen if they decide bodies and powers are the same thing if Dialga G lv.x and power spray are still in the format....

I disagree with "- Rare candy cannot be played first turn neither player and cannot be used on pokemon just played same turn."

and now Stadiums can get trainer locked too?
Wow
They just took all the speed out of a lot of decks needing BTS or T1 Rare Candys

These rules are obviously designed for a completely different format from what we have now.

By the time we get them, they will probably make sense.

I disagree with "- Rare candy cannot be played first turn neither player and cannot be used on pokemon just played same turn."

and now Stadiums can get trainer locked too?
Wow
They just took all the speed out of a lot of decks needing BTS or T1 Rare Candys
Wouldn't matter about the Stadium since that one's in Platinum...

The Rare Candy bit hurts unlimited. Really, it is a rule that doesn't make sense due to its specificity. They should've reprinted Pokémon Breeder, and let a rotation bring this into effect if its what they wanted. Errata-ing cards is bad for the game (though I suppose it falls under my 'deal with it' dogma).

The only thing i don't like is being able to play trainers/supporters/stadiums first turn =/ I can't see any advantage in going second now, seems a bit unfair. I don't see the point with the new Rare Candy rule, either.

Well, if the 2007 ruling can work in reverse, then at least the Supporters and Stadiums from the HGSS series should be playable in a Trainer lock...

Back