Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jirachi in GBA Tourneys *Rant*

Spectreon

Kewl we finally get Jirachi..... not a half bad decent Pokemon, from the looks of it.... If you didnt notice, I posted a question in the Jirachi thread already, about whether it was allowed for Battle Tower. The answer was a clear, loud NO!

Now, the GBA tourneys run off the same set of rules as Battle Tower, so I didnt waste my time training a Jirachi, since I assumed it wouldnt be alllowed.... No Battle Tower, no GBA Tounreys... right???

Wrong, when we confronted the head judge of the GBA tourney, he had the same old flier from previous tourneys, stating that the only non usable ones are Groudon, Rayquazza, and Kyogre...... Since thats what the note said, he allowed Jirachi....

Now did Nintendo drop the ball, or should Jirachi be allowed in these kind of Tournements... I dont want to sound like a baby about this, I belive this to be a valid question, and please do not turn this into a Poll by simply answering Yes/No... I need others opinions, not a locked topic....

PS, I am now training a Jirachi for next weekends tourney, assuming since same people running it will allow Jirachi.....

I wouldn't worry about it. Jirachi is about the same equivalence as Celebi, meaning they have decent stats but nothing that would make them overpowering (like Mew's near-perfect stats and ability to learn every TM & HM). This'll prove true once Houndor becomes available and Houndoom starts to show up. If there were any tournaments around here, I wouldn't mind seeing Jirachi used.

Yeah, I whipped up on one in final round. It tried 6+ Water Pulse to try and cofuse me, never did once..... After a few Calm Minds on Latios @ Soul Dew, it was good game

Heres my Jirachi move set

Jirachi @ Kings Rock
Modest
Rest/Wish
T-Bolt
Water Pulse
Psychic

Does anybody know if Serene Grace affects Psychic and the Kings Rock....

The idea is a Para/Fuse/Flincher, taking advantage of Serene Grace upping teh status inflicting......

Im confused about serene grace, i forget what it does, something about promotes special effects

What exactly do special effects mean, if its confusion, sp def loss, paralyzation then ur guy looks good spectreon, thats what my jirachi looks like except i have doom desire instead of water pulse.

If someone could just clear this up for me i can make up my mind on this one :)

Serene Grace only works on moves. It raises the chances of a special effect (such as confusion, paralysis, poison, and I think stat raises) occuring when using moves that have special effects that occur by chance.

Jirachi is good and I don't think he's to cheap but I don't relly want him in tournaments.Sure he can be beaten but he's one of the legendarys/secret pokemon and I think the rules should stand.I'm not complaing if he can be used in the tournaments I just think he shouldn't be allowed to be used.

so raven, your saying that psycic would have like a higher chance of lowering sd and thunderbolt would have a higher chance of paralizing? i just wish kings rock would have a higher chance of flinching lol, that would own.

"reyquaza has become paralized, requaza flinched" !!!!!

that would be so awesome!

but, whats the best moveset for a jirachi?

i was thinking

thunderbolt
psycic
doom desire
wish

Last edited:
Doom Desire's nice, but only go with it if you plan on using an annoying Jirachi. For the moveset you sugegsted, replace Doom Desire with Calm Mind. Any Psychic with Calm Mind is deadly. Not only will its attacks be strengthed but so will its Special Defense (something Jirachi will need boosted).

Elite Trainer Raven said:
Yeah, that's pretty much the standard moveset going for Jirachi. Be sure to start off with Wish and then Calm Mind.

k, seems dandy, i noticed i had the tm calm mind, now i dont have to use that heart scale :p

*gets back to topic*

Supposedly Gym Leader Blaine was told not to allow Jirachi. I haven't heard anything though. But in any case I've decided that Jirachi is banned here in Salt Lake City from those tournaments.

...at least until the end of all the City Championships anyway. Maybe we'll here more by then.

Last edited:
Yes, while it is not as broken as Pokemon like Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza, it is banned from battle tower. Just becuase you have old out dated rules for running a GBA tourney, doesnt mean Jirachi should be allowed.... Should I be allowed to use a Snorlax since my friend has imported Leaf Green and can trade a legit Snorlax to me? Or should that be only after FR/WB come ouot here? I mean, he isnt on the list either, neither is Mewtwo.... Or Lugia and Ho-oh. I didnt cheat to get any of them, but known of them escept Snorlax is allowed in Battle Tower. Neither is Jirachi.... None of them for know should be allowed, and only after an english release should the others be allowed....

Nintendo shoulda updated wules upon the release of Collesuem in Japan, knowing alot of people wouold import it, just simply stating that Pokemon that are unatainable in English are non usable, and that Any thing not allowed in Battle Tower is not allowed either... I really think Nintendo dropped the ball here, IMO

Whats the big deal?! Jirachi is about as broken as Gardevoir... don't make such a big deal about it. If it matters that much, they'll ban it eventually. But here in japan, we've been playing with him-legal (as well as the other 367 pokémon... thats right, we use legendaries.) and I've seen maybe two people with him on their team. You'll see. he's not as broken in battle as you are making him out to be.

Its not so much he is uneasy to deal with, others had problems, but I had none what so ever in dealing with it. I just think now that all the Pokemon are technecally available (through Japanese games of course) that nintendo should say up front before some major event where they would run a GBA tourney (ie CC's and Pre-Releases) that they should announce what is legal and what isnt. I could argue by this guys logic that I can use a CurseLax, Mewtwo, and Lugia/Ho-oh just becuase they are not one of the 3 listed. They arent available in any english games yet, but since we can now obtain them legit, there ought to be some reference to what is allowed here and what isnt! Jirachi being just released before most of the CC's shoulda been mentioned as well. I think that the should strictly follow BT rules, and only allow English released Pokemon. As much as I would love to run amuk with a CurseLax, or Mewtwo, I think it would be cheap.

And if you didnt notice, in an above post, the only one I faced was a breeze. It barely touched my Latios @ Soul Dew, as I Calm Minded up for an easy KO. This has nothing to do with me thinking Jirachi shouldnt be allowed because he is too good, just that the Tourneys here run off of BT rules. Shouldnt it stay that way? Or at least Nintendo shoulda updated its GBA tourney rules to say it was/wasnt included, same as Imported Pokemon..... my 2 cents more

The main problem is that people just go ahead and use every legendary they can get their hands on in their team. Dealing with one in a team is fine..but having to deal with Kyogre, Groudon, and possibly a cheated Mewtwo makes it nearly impossible to win because of those three Pokémon have super boosted stats. And it kills most chances of egg raised Pokémon have of winning.

Back