Just getting back into pokemon, need help!

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by lol10218, Aug 8, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. lol10218

lol10218 New Member

So me and my friends have all just gotten back into pokemon (I stopped playing after fossil came out, haha!). None of my friends use that much strategy, but they do have very good cards (They got very lucky from booster packs and such). They rely on brute force for the most part, 25 energies, 25 pokemon, and 10 trainers types of decks. But my cards cannot beat them! When this one guy gets a magmortar out, if he gets to build it up, its game over (he has 4 of them in his deck :-/)

So here I am coming for help. I need to make a deck that is good enough to beat my friends (who do not really use strategy in battles, more luck and force). I have 200+ of the dp-on cards (at least I think thats what they are known as :p), , but most of them are commons. I have a charizard ex to sell on ebay, alongside like 10+ base-on holos (including originals charizards). I am willing to spend up to whatever I can get money wise for those cards, but the less money, the better :p haha.

So what would be a good overall deck to build, I need some retribution (some of the kids I play with are very arrogant :[ )! Also, where is a good place to buy the individual cards (If ebay is not the best place to get them).

Thanks!

2. mikeynumber1

mikeynumber1 New Member

this is the wrong fourm but ill help anyways. well first off, charizard ex is worth a lot of money even though it is not playable, and about building a better deck get cards to structure a deck such as Proffesor oaks visit, bebe's search, roseannes research, those sorts of things. then you can always metagame (build a deck to beat his) to beat him, although it sometimes doesnt work out so good. post a list of a deck to get help in making it better.

3. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

If you want to beat Magmortar specifically, you'd have good luck with a decent Empoleon deck. Just take a look around here at the available lists. The new set Legends Awakened will have a Kingdra which as you can probably tell, is getting immense hype and will probably be a very good deck for the next format. If anything, it can absolutely demoralize a beginner's Magmortar deck. Again, just look around here for ideas on what you will want for a deck. To see what cards do, click on the search button right underneath the private message window at the top right of this page and search the gallery for the cards you want to see. Just make sure you are looking at the cards from the correct sets if you are looking at pokemon. Other than that, the Archetypes and Standard Strategies threads all include pretty good deck lists of the most popular decks over the years, Magmortar included, and will point you in the right direction in terms of building a good deck.

4. Ninjask_161

Ninjask_161 New Member

I know what you mean by arrogant friends. in my few weeks of being here, i've learned a ton. I came from the so-called *pokemon Dark Ages* as well, stopping shortly after the Neo sets. most decks now are running much less energy than were used to. a good average number would be 18ish. as far as trainers, much more than 10 are being used. 20+ is normal. Also, when you make a deck, try to focus on 2 maybe 3 pokemon lines. Take torterra for example, you would want to use 3x turtwig, 2x Grotle, and 1x Torterra. this is assuming you don't have any more torterra or rare candies. Also, make sure to have some strong basic pokemon( I.E. Darkrai, the regis, etc,.) I'm relatively new making a comeback to the game, hope this helps >.<, Good Luck!

5. G-Dog4377

G-Dog4377 New Member

Uhh, sorry to completely contradict you there Ninjask, but if you are using stage 2 pokemon, you are using a minimum of 2 Rare Candy. Most likely 3 or 4. And for that reason, your stage two lines are going to look like 2-1-2 or 3-2-3, or 4-2-4, depending on how important the line is to your deck's strategy. You do not want 3-2-1 because it will be important for you to be able to get that stage 2 pokemon in play fast and probably have multiple in play.