Just Shif-try to beat me!

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Prime, Sep 24, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

17 Pokemon
    4 Sandstorm Shiftry Holo - Disrupts the energy on the opponent's pokemon.
    2 Sandstorm Nuzleaf 48/100 - Needed to evolution.
    1 Sandstorm Nuzleaf 49/100 - Needed to evolution.
    2 Sandstorm Seedot 76/100 - Needed to evolution.
    2 Sandstorm Seedot 77/100 - Needed to evolution.
    3 R/S Zigzagoon - Needed to evolution.
    3 R/S Linoone - Helps to get cards fast for the player.

25 Trainers
    ~Disruption
    3 Energy Removal 2 - Disrupts the opponent's energy on the opponent's pokemon.
    3 Desert Shaman - Disrupts the opponent's hand.
    ~Speed Boosters
    2 Pokemon Fan Club - Helps gets out basics fast.
    3 Rare Candy - Helps get out evolutions fast.
    2 Fast Ball - Helps get evolutions in the player's hand.
    ~Support Items
    2 Energy Restore - Gets the player back energy.
    2 Lure Ball - Gets the player back evolutions.
    ~Pokemon Aid
    4 Switch - Aids in moving the player's pokemon around.
    4 Oran Berry - Aids in removing damage counters from the player's pokemon.

18 Energy
    15 Grass Energy - Helps pay for the player's attacks.
    3 Boost Energy - Helps for a quick surprize attack on the opponent.

This is a revision of my last shiftry deck. I have still to test it out because I don't have the cards yet. But here is the strategy. Get out Shiftrys on the bench fast. Then just keep using their power so you make sure they don't have any energy on their pokemon. Then you use desert shaman to shuffle it back into their deck. Linoone is in the deck to speed it up and help me get anything that the trainers won't allow me to get.

2. dkates

dkates New Member

Looks good, but let's pump it up a bit. Try to find room for one more each of ER2 and Desert Shaman. Maybe drop one Grass Energy and one Switch? Still, I love this one. If you really want to continue the theme, you might consider using Skyridge Gyarados. Its Power basically gives you 2 ER2's in a row when you play it from the hand to evolve your Active! Not to mention that Gyarados will cover your Fire Weakness.

3. Prime

That is true, but it would also add in another type of energy too. Wait, let me check...stage 1 is good. but also I would need water energy to attack. I don't like to play cards and not be able to attack with them. It kinda makes me think I will get them up there and not be able to attack with them and like lose the game. But it is a good idea. A quick stage 1 that has a built in energy removal is always good. But it is with a flip. So you could get two heads. But then you could also make your deck around it, kinda like how people made their decks around the beedrill. Just add in alot of devolution stuff but then again, I couldn't fit all the stuff into my deck.

About the desert shaman and the energy removal 2, thats a good idea. I will try out my deck first, when I get the cards for it(it will take so long!) and get back to your post. I was thinking the exact same thing after I made the deck.

Thanks for the reply!

4. dkates

dkates New Member

On the point about Gyarados, considering how much of the costs on the Shiftry line are Colorless, changing 5-6 Grass Energy to Water to support Gyarados would probably create little trouble for this deck. However, if you went the Gyarados route, you would probably want to add in some Super Scoop Ups, in order to allow you to re-use Gyarados' Power. BTW, Gyarados can use Boost Energy quite well -- its attack costs (W)(C)(C)(C), if I'm not mistaken.

5. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

My only suggestion, -1 RuSa Linoone, +1 Sandstorm Linoone. Its ability to get back cards from the discard, and free retreat are a nice welcome I would think.

Also switch to Sandstorm Zigzagoons as well, first attack, 1 colorless, Collect, Darw a card.

6. Prime

I like r/s zigzagoon almost better than any basic pokemon. It is so awesome. For one colorless energy, you can do up to 30 damage with no damage to itself, and no discarding of energy. Sure the sandstorm one draws a card, yippie, but I'm not doing any damage to it. So I turn into a promo cleffa without a free retreat and baby power. I rather not. With the r/s zigzagoon, you can sometimes knock out the basic on first turn and most of the time knock out another 40-50 hp second turn really stopping evolution in it's tracks.

It comes down to the choice of card power or attack power and although I know card power is good, early on, I rather have attack power because I have enough speed with wally and fast ball and fan club.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  7. dkates

dkates New Member

I'm with Spectreon about the Zigzagoons. With E-on's limited draw power, every little bit helps. Besides, your chances of doing 30 damage with R/S Zigzagoon are only 1 in 8.

8. Prime

Okay I maybe can switch in a few, like two. But I won't replace all of them. The r/s zigzagoon is so good being for one energy, you can do 30 damage. SO what if it takes 3 heads, it will take the same for linoone to do 120 damage and I know that is possible. But I guess it isn't constant damage because there is a 50/50 chance of me doing no damage at all. That isn't all that good. The other one has alittle draw power, and for two, it can do 20 damage which is okay. I'll switch two but not all of them. Draw power isn't that good really. Sure I get one card, okay what am I saying? Draw power is awesome! You only get one new card a turn if you don't play cards like elm and the only card like that in my deck is desert shaman. So the zigzagoon would help alot with helping me draw cards quicker so I could get out what I want faster.

Thanks for the tips!

9. dkates

dkates New Member

Speaking of which, you do need draw power. I recommend putting in Elms and Copycats. I don't especially recommend Fast Ball, since you have to reveal cards from your deck and you have to take the first Evolution card you find. Professor Elm's Training Method or Wally's Training might be better for the job.

10. Prime

Elms are hand destructive. Copycats are alright, but I don't want alot of supporters. Same for elm's training method. Wally's training is a good idea but you cannot breed with it or so we know right now. Sure fast ball reveals my deck but remember I do shuffle my deck afterwards. Sure it gets the first evolution but with the speed I am trying to go for, any evolution will be helpful. Because if I fast ball with the stage 2 in my hand and get the stage 1, I can lay the stage one and then rare candy it to a stage 2 in the same turn(check the rulings board). I am thinking about taking out nuzleaf, and the linoone line and putting in scyther ex. So that I will ALWAYS get a shiftry when I fast ball and then have rare candies and breeders to get them out on the seedot but I haven't done that yet.

So in conclusion, Elm = Bad, I don't have enough room for copycat, and fast ball is one of the best non-supporters out there. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  11. Dek

Dek New Member

My suggestion is to ttry to go with one version of each of the different cards. You have both versions of Seedot and both versions of Nuzleaf- not a good idea at times. Though I would suggest the following:

4 Seedot- 77/100 (much more accurate)
    4 Nuzleaf- 48/100 (very useful with Razor Leaf)
    4 Shiftry (2 of each version)

IMO, this would be a good way to set up your Seedot family. both versions of Shiftry are very useful, so you might as well have em both in the deck :D

12. Prime

That would be a good idea for a deck based around attacking. But my deck is based around the holo shiftry's power and thus with less in there, the strategy is not as good. But thanks for the comment!

13. Dek

Dek New Member

But that was the point I was trying to get across. With both versions, not only would you be able to use Holo Shiftry's Fan away power, but you would have the other Shiftry with you as firepower.

14. Prime

Well I don't plan on using the power once, but the most that I can at once so that I can return multiple energy to their hand each turn. But I have been thinking up a speed shiftry deck which is really different from this. I will write it up soon.

15. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

I hate to be a parade-rainer, but since the card seems to be so popular, might you want to add something to reduce the effectiveness of Slaking, since it will stop your ability to fan away its energy?

16. dkates

dkates New Member

Good point, Dendrobatida. Since Slaking shuts off all Poke-Powers, it will shut down Shiftry. Let's see... Slaking has 120 HP and is weak to Fighting. Does that trigger any ideas? I can't think of anything offhand, other than trying to take it out before it evolves.
    Actually, Prime's right that Fan Away is best used in swarms, so trying to use both Shiftry would be counterproductive. The whole focus of this deck, which I liked so much, is the combination of Fan Away and Desert Shaman to disrupt your opponent's Energy.
    As far as the draw power and Supporters thing, you currently only have 5 Supporter cards in the deck, so adding a few more shouldn't hurt. May I suggest dropping one Grass Energy, 1 Switch, and 1 Oran Berry for 3 Copycats?

17. HYPER EEVEE

HYPER EEVEE Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Go with a least one non holo and try 4 shaman so you can fan away special energy and then they wont have them for awhile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.