Kecleon error ruling

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Mr. Grass, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

Okay, found this in the Compendium and think it's in error.

Q. If the Energy on Kecleon is altered in some way, does Kecleon look at the original energy card or what it's been changed into? For example, if you somehow changed Fire to Darkness, would Kecleon be a Darkness-type PokÈmon instead of a Fire-type?
    A. Kecleon looks at what the Energy card has been changed into. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Because of this old ruling:

Q. If I have 3 Porygon2 on my bench and an active Ho-Oh with 4 Grass energy attached, how much damage can Ho-Oh do if I use Energy Conversion to change the types of 3 of the Grass energies? No additional damage?!
    A. Correct, no additional damage. The Ho-Oh only does 10 more for each type of Basic Energy card. A basic Energy card whose type is changed still counts as the original basic Energy card....and the new type's Energy. So a Grass Energy card on Ho-oh is a Grass Basic Energy card if it is changed to provide fire it is still a Grass Basic Energy card. It would count as a Fire Energy card, but not a Basic Fire Energy card. Clear? You have to understand that you NEVER change what a card really is. You can change what it provides and what it can count as. Ho-oh is the only card that I know that requires different BASIC ENERGY card on it. [NOTE: Porygon2's power says "treat that energy card as that type", not "treat it as that Basic Energy card".] (Dec 5, 2002 WotC Chat, Q52 & Q61 & Q65 & Q67 & Q74)

What do you think?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

If I recall, that ruling came from Japan.
    I agree it doesn't match up. Thought so at the time, but since it came from Japan it wasn't up for discussion. I think we'll have to ask Japan to reconsider this, though.

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

PokePop is it the Hooh rulling you are refering to as coming from Japan or the recent Kecleon ruling? I though that the Hooh rulling came from Japan. I have no idea where the Kecleon ruling came from.

---

After much debate on Hooh it was established that A grass basic energy card retains its status (type) regardless of what energy it is providing.

A grass basic energy card is always a grass basic energy card regardless of what energy it is providing.

A fire energy card is any card that is currently providing fire energy.

A Fire energy is a unit of energy that can satisfy the fire energy cost of an attack.

----------

When trying to work out what a 'basic energy card' is don't seperate any of the three words ;)

Kecleon's Body looks at 'basic energy cards' and these have fixed type as set by the HoOh rulling.

-----------

FWIW I never liked the Hooh rulling but it wasn't my decision to make !

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

The Kekleon ruling was what I was referring to.
    Although both came from Japan.
    It just goes to how they look at each card ruling on its own without concern about how it impacts other cards and rulings.

That Rainbow Energy ruling we got changed at the last meeting literally took months to accomplish.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

it may also indicate errors in the translation process when the english cards are produced. :(

Rullings is MTJimmer right???

6. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

In general, but if something comes from Japan, like these did (at different times), that takes precedence.