kids may be losing interest in league.HELP ME!!!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by SaNdy-MaN, Aug 28, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. SaNdy-MaN

SaNdy-MaN New Member

The kids in my league seem to be losing interest in the game and I fear they will soon quit. How do I stop this from happening?Anybody have useful suggestions to keep my league alive? :confused:

2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

First, since this isn't really TCG News, I'm going to move it to Tournaments and Organized Play.

Are the kids saying they're bored? Or is it the typical summer/vacations..or, school starting...temporary "slump"? Are they tired of playing the same format? same people?

Try varying the format (no rares; unlimited; draft; theme deck challenge, etc.). A draft CAN be done even if you've limited league time; I held one over two weeks where the kids drafted and built their decks one week (and they sealed their decks and extra cards in envelopes, which _I_ kept for the week in between) and played the next. That one was something they enjoyed.

Another thing I do is have a binder with many of the old promos from year one, two and three of the league; every week each kid can pick ONE. Offer incentives for kids to 'bring a friend'.

Hope some of this was helpful; moving the thread...

'mom

3. cattdreams

cattdreams New Member

I personally believe that the two best ways to keep people involved in something is to :
    1) give them something to work for
    2) give them something new to do

maybe have a series of themed league sessions with point totals, and then a worthwhile prize at the end of the month. that should give regulars something new to do as well as something to work twords.
    themed days could be something like having kids build decks out of only one specific type. perhaps only basic pokemon with 50 hp or less, or perhaps everyone buids two "half decks" and then have a mix and match lottery where each player takes two differant half decks that were brought, and combines them into one 60 card deck and plays with that. or all flying pokemon only. or perhaps a sort of trading party or ???
    players get participation points, good sportsmanship points, ofcourse points for winning and so on. highest totals at the end of the month win something intersting. maybe several boosters and card sleeves, or what have you.

4. Tails

Tails New Member

If you have both the resources and time, Maybe a map campaign? If you grab a risk board (Any variant will do), or some other map, have everyone take a color, and start in one space.

Then, at regular intervals, call everyone to the map, and have them move to one adjacent territory, increasing the size of their realm. When two player/team's markers meet, have 'em play a game to decide control of the territory. Player/team with the most territories at the end of a set number of map turns, say, 20, wins.

5. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

Tourney, Championships, keep them having something to work for.

Since Nintendo has stoned St. Louis (for no apparent reason) we have had to keep ourselves busy this summer with:

Draft tourneys - always keeps it exciting!

A qualifying Championship - all kids play for the right to play in a FREE Rochester draft (paid for by the qualifiers) to be named champion - great way to give out a LOT of the Wizards stuff. Great to have a champion named, trophy, plaque, complete set of jumbo promos! Thanks to MP Support kit!!!

Now we announced the new format for Nintendo Leagues - we are playing Expedition On with Best Promos (No legendary or SI), gets everyone having to create new decks!!!

We start those tourneys next week, now at 2 locations in St. Louis...

Our players are mad however that there is no Sandstorm Prerelease in St. Louis, and what is worse, they are being held in locations (cough, chicago, cough) that do not even hold league (great location though)

We will see what comes, but it takes energy to keep it going, and keep you YGO converts happy!

Meganium45

6. Timmy Two Tone

Timmy Two Tone New Member

We hold weekly tournements, using the WoTc Battlezone stuff MTM sent us. Kids love prizes.

We keep it inexpensive $1.00 for the store. I make fliers and post at varios other stores that have no Pokemon to draw in other players.

Every 3-4 months we put on a larger Tourney that draws upwards to 50 players. We charge $5-10.00 and use that to purchse prizes. We give every one door prizes (older league promos). We usually break even somtimes come up a few bucks short but there are 3 of us to split the cost. This kind of energizes and brings in new players.

I think the main thing is to just be consistant, Show up every week at the same time at the same store. This is the best way to keep a stable league.

One last thing print up a little flier with the day and time of your league that the store owner will hand out to everyone that buys a pack of pokemon cards. This should also help to draw in some local kids.

7. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

I keep our league tourneys at $3.00 per person, with every entrant guaranteed a pack and a promo, just for playing. Because of the cheaper box prices, there are extra packs for the top 4.

These kids would buy the packs anyway, but everyone likes to feel they have won something. Their $3.00 buys them a tourney, and a chance to be recognized by me on this site, and on my articles at pojo.

Recognition is a big part of keeping it going. for any big championship, I will make a plaque (sometimes they are cool, sometimes they are cheesy), and although the kids all want the prizes, a lot of them want the recognition that comes with a plaque or other award.

For the Dragon King Championship, I even gave away a Gengar signed by Dark Master Trainer Mike!!!! That went over HUGE!!!!

Positive attitude, encourage the helping of younger, newer players (gave out 5 RH Elms one night to professors who were really helping new players!) and keep your new people happy with promos, and other stuff that we take for granted.

The main thing is talk to your players, give them something to come for and have fun with it....Do not feel you have to "give away" stuff to get people to come (by spending out of your own pocket), most places have promos and box toppers that they are willing to toss for prizes. Use them.

OK, e-mail me if you want to go into this further.

Meganium45

8. filinal

filinal New Member

ive got a question. does anybody know of a pokemon tcg league or tournament play in Atlanta, Georgia. ive just gotten there and im looking but i cant find any.

9. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Please do not hijack a thread this way...if you have a question about League in a certain area, please start your own thread asking this question. Thanks for understanding...

'mom

10. FixR

FixR New Member

At our league in Ajax ontario we have a few ways to keep kids interested . they are Gym leader badge challenges(we've made our own badges), Bounty chalenges (like the Professor challenge at worlds where you beat the bounty holder and you get their bounty), and we have also gotten the local movie theatres to donate movie passes for prizes for some of our tourneys. These are just some of the ways we keep them coming back.

11. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Are you the Gym Leader?If you are,there are many ways to do things to spice the League up.All you have to do is be creative.

First of all,with the new League from Nintendo/TPC,that should spark some new interest right there.New promos,new "style" of the League and whatnot,should go a long ways to getting people interested.

You can do other things as well.You can offer "featured matches" where you pick two people randomly and they play for prizes.The winner could get the usual 20 points and any kind of prize(a pack,deck box,deck sleeves,etc..) and the loser gets say 40 or 50 points.It`s a win-win situation and you could hold however many of these per session as you see fit.

You can have some promos and ask questions for people to get a "pick" of one.

You can have tourneys and make sure everyone that`s in it walks away with some prizes,whether it be promo`s,packs or what have you.I offer promos,Jumbo`s,and other free stuff to everyone on top of the Top 3/4 place prizes.

Like I said,all you have to do is be creative and I`m sure you`ll spark back alot of interest in your players.

`Sensei

12. SaNdy-MaN

SaNdy-MaN New Member

thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I'll see if I can save my league or if all of them turn to DBZ.