Kingdra on Ice

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Nevermore, Mar 13, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

Spoilers at the end. While I've been building this, I'd like to credit HornetsBasketballFan for thinking it up as well, because he posted it first on here. No harsh feelings =)

Kingdra on Ice

Pokémon: 18
    4-2-4 Kingdra DP5
    2 Regice DP5
    1 Volbeat GE
    1 Illumise GE
    4 Lapras GE

Trainers: 27
    4 Bebe's Search
    4 Roseanne's Research
    4 Felicity's Drawing
    3 Cynthia's Hope

4 TM-TS 1
    3 Warp Point
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Night Maintenance

Energy: 15
    15 Water

I made it DP-On, as a prediction of the format once we get these cards (if ever). The idea is to have a multitude of ways to discard :water: so Kingdra can deal a theoretical 150 damage (if for some reason it doesn't have at least one attached to it) and all of the cards go back into the deck. Then, Roseanne searches for two of them, which I discard for a possible free gust of wind with Registeel, for 4 new cards with Felicity, etc. The breakdown of each card's use:

Kingdra - your big bad boy that can do 40+ for one :water: and up to 150 for free while at the same time preventing you from decking out.

Regice - Allows me to discard 2 cards from my hand to switch the opponent's starter/tech/basic Pokémon out. It's a situational Gust of Wind and fills my discard pile. There's only 2 of them because it's good for early game disruption and discard, but won't do much late game.

Volbeat - gives me back a Roseanne every turn (provided I have more than one in the discard pile) at the cost of having Illumise. Good thing the team can enter play simultaneously with Roseanne.

Lapras - Starter. It gets me energy to discard, Felicity or Roseanne to set up and a tool of my choice, if I played any.

Roseanne's Research - best supporter in here. Grab your basics or energy for Kingdra/discards.

Bebe's Search - I don't really have to explain this one, right?

Felicity's Drawing - My draw power. With a Lapras start, you could get it and water energy, discard the energy, refresh your hand. Once Regice outlived its usefulness, this is your way of getting water into the discard pile when you want to use Kingdra's first attack.

Cynthia's Hope - THE card to recover from a loss.

TM-TS1 - Actually a very decent card to have, especially if you end up with a Regice start. You can use it after you've gotten a Horsea with Roseanne or Bebe, which makes it even better. (why can't TMs count as tools for Lapras?)

Rare Candy - together with TM-TS1 that's 7 ways of getting a Kingdra going ASAP.

Warp Point - Get your tech starts benched. Maybe even drag a basic of theirs out so Regice can do its magic.

Night Maintenance - Give your techs and Kingdras another chance.

PokéSpoilers:

What do you guys think? I was pondering a possible 2-2 Porygon2 line to play Roseanne with Felicity in the same turn, but that might clog up the deck too much.

2. Ra2xse

Ra2xse New Member

Use Claydol to refresh your hand like i do, Kingdra can dicard 2 Cards from your hand every turn with it's second attac (and do 60 and snipe 20 like Lucario just stronger) Then you'll use it's First attack in middle Game to hit like 100-160 without energys needed.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

I read your list, and I see why you think Claydol is an option; but I don't think it's an option in my build. Usually, I'll be having large hands thanks to both Felicity's Drawing and, when I've suffered a setback, Cynthia's Hope (which by itself raises my hand size to 8).

That, and it would add another benchsitter to my setup - I'd be having Volbeat, Illumise, Claydol and Regice sitting there. That's just itching for a Dusknoir to come along. And I don't want to run it instead of Volbeat. Sure, Claydol fills my hand, but Volbeat can give me whatever I need in the current situation.

Also, one last question - you mention high discard costs for attack 2, but a moment later, you say you're going to be hitting without energy attached with attack 1?

Thanks for your input though! I really appreciate it.

4. tc19930815

tc19930815 New Member

immpossible to do 160, he has only 15 energy, anyway, put in a Minun to get u an extra 2 cards.......so u can get 10 cards after being ko

5. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

Minun starts are ugly. Very ugly. I'm already running a risk of starting with one of the fireflies. That, and bench space again. I'd like to keep my average bench size at around 3.

6. Ra2xse

Ra2xse New Member

High dicard cost... is good because you can discard 2 Water energys every turn and then hit big hits with first attack later. Claydol keep your hand normal and when you attack you discard 2 Basik waters for a first attack, big draw with Claydol and anti deckin with first atatck... 60+20 to bench with 1 energy.

7. tc19930815

tc19930815 New Member

so do volbeat and illumise isnt it???

i suggest to take them out and add 2 more useful cards

8. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

LOLOL

YOU SHOULD CALL YOUR DECK ICE PRINCESS BECAUSE....ALL OF YOUR SUPPORTERS ARE GIRLS!!! LOLOL

Anyways....

<.<
    >.>

I think the list looks pretty solid.

9. I honestly see no point in Volbeat/Illsume. Take them out for a Regice and a water,

10. Nevermore

Nevermore New Member

You see no point in having a Roseanne (or a Felicity/Bebe/Cynthia) every turn?

A third Regice is, IMO, pretty useless. Regice does next to nothing when your opponent has no basics, and I'm pretty sure you can't discard two energy cards for free. However... hmm. Do you guys think Lunatone (without Solrock) would be an option? It doesn't come with a GoW, but it's a guaranteed discard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.