Knocking out multiple Pokemon at once

Discussion in 'Trading Figure Game' started by Luxatos, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Luxatos

Luxatos <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Let's say multiple Pokemon are knocked out at once (by surrounding, probably). Would the player who controls the knocked-out Pokemon decide which one goes to the Pokemon Center first, and thus goes to the Bench first? Or the person who knocked them out?

2. Archaic

Archaic New Member

If the case that the multiple KO's occur with a surround and a KO by attack, the Pokémon KOed from surrounding would be KOed before the Pokémon KOed by an attack, simply from the order of play, since surround is checked before the attack phase.

Now...if you've KOed two Pokémon at once via surrounding (highly unlikely, but theoretically possible on some of the junction spaces)....good question. I have no idea. The rulebook is silent on the issue.

3. zman22674

zman22674 New Member

The rulebook says the following about "Surrounding" (please see what is bolded):

Rules for moving
    1. Choose one of your figures to move.

2. Move the figure up to its total move points. Not moving is okay, but you must attack if you don't move.

It takes 1 MP to move from one space to another. These spaces have to be connected by a line.
    On the starting player's first turn, Pokémon have 1 less MP. So, a Pokémon with 3 MP would only have 2 MP on that turn. A Pokémon needs at least 1 MP to move from the Bench to the Entry Point.
    A Pokémon figure can't move through any figures and can't land on the same space as another Pokémon.
    At the end of moving, check if you surround an opponent's Pokémon. If your Pokémon are on all sides, your opponent's Pokémon figure is Knocked Out. You can't surround more than one Pokémon at a time.

This should answer your question that you cannot "Surround" more than 1 Pokemon and therefore, cannot KO 2 at the same time by "Surrounding". The link to the rulebook is here: http://www.go-pokemon.com/tfg/howtoplay/rulebook.html

Z

4. Archaic

Archaic New Member

That's very interesting. That's not in my version of the print rulebook. Has that changed in the most recent version you now have in the US? Or is that only on the website?

In any case, just to demonstrate, you can actually surround two Pokémon with the same movement. Allow me to demonstrate, using very poor ASCII art of the bottom left corner space on the 6 on 6 field.

B = Black
    W = White
    E = Empty

W W
    | |
    B B-W
    | /
    E-W

White's turn. Moves figure on base edge across 1.

W W
    | |
    B B-W
    | /
    W-E

This surrounds both black figures.

Keep in mind that it's possible to get double surrounds in more situations than just this. I won't demonstrate them all, but I will demonstrate a possible triple. Needs the entry point of course to pull this one off, though it might even be possible to engineer it elsewhere on the field using certain purple techniques, like Meowth's.

W W
    | |
    B B-W
    | /
    E-B-W
    \
    Bench (1 x W)

White's turn, moves 1 figure off bench and onto entry point.

W W
    | |
    B B-W
    | /
    W-B-W
    \
    Bench (E)

All three black figures now surrounded.

Our question now really should be...is that rule in the FAQ accurate? It's obviously possible to surround multiple figures at once, so given that...do we simply make the assumption that we can only pick 1 to "surround" for KO each turn? If so, are we right in the assumption that the player who is moving picks which is surrounded?

5. stalkerex

stalkerex New Member

It states in my book, u cannot surround more than 1 figure at a time.

6. zman22674

zman22674 New Member

It may very well be "able" to surround more than one at a time, but it against the rules to do so according to the rulebook, which I quoted in my thread reply above. The rules did not say it was not possible, it just said you "can't" meaning, you are not allowed. However, this brings a new question I thought of, does this simply mean you cannot make the move that would result in you surrounding more than 1 of your opponent's pokemon or that if you do make a move that results in it, either you or your opponent get to choose which of the 2 get knocked out? I personally would go with the interpretation that it says you "can't" surround more than 1 opponent's pokemon meaning you cannot move to a space that results in more than 1 of the opponent's pokemon being surrounded and you must make a different move or attack.

Z

7. Luxatos

Or does that mean that you can't knock them out simultaneously, so you knock them out one at a time? I mean... the rulebook says you can't, but it doesn't say what happens if you try.

8. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

Ok, you can't surround more than one pokemon at a time. That's fine.
    But there's more ways to KO multiple Pokemon - Voltorb, for example, KOs everyone around him.

9. zman22674

zman22674 New Member

I think there is some confusion here. Nowhere in the rulebook does it say a player cannot knockout multiple pokemon. It says you can't surround more than 1 pokemon for the knockout. If an attack will knockout all pokemon around it, as Voltorb's does, that is perfectly fine. The issue here that was asked was using the "surrounding" of pokemon specifically, which is not allowed per the rulebook.

Z

10. Burninating_Torchic

zman, if you read the first post, the issue was NOT specifically about surrounding - it was about multiple knockouts in general.

11. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

See I was wondering about what if it was possible to surround two Pokemon at once....

12. zman22674

zman22674 New Member

Luxatos posted this:
    "Let's say multiple Pokemon are knocked out at once (by surrounding, probably). Would the player who controls the knocked-out Pokemon decide which one goes to the Pokemon Center first, and thus goes to the Bench first? Or the person who knocked them out?"

The bolded was what I was answering to. He used surrounding as an example and I was answering that. Also, if you Archaic's post right after it, you see references saying it may be possible to surround more than 1 for knockouts, "Now...if you've KOed two Pokémon at once via surrounding (highly unlikely, but theoretically possible on some of the junction spaces)....good question. I have no idea. The rulebook is silent on the issue." All of that was what I was referencing saying the rules say you cannot surround more than 1 pokemon. I even went on to say there are ways to knock out more than 1 pokemon, but you cannot do it by surrounding more than 1.

Now, it IS possible to knock out multiple pokemon in one turn, but there are only 2 ways that come to mind:

1) Surround one and still be next to another one that is not surrounded and go through with an attack to the one not surrounded with the pokemon you just moved.

2) Use an attack that has the capability that can knock out multiple pokemon, like Voltorb's Explosion.

Z

13. Burninating_Torchic

Yes. I know that he gave surrounding as an example. But, like you said, that's not the only way it's possible.
    Since it is impossible to surround multiple Pokemon at once, the question becomes about situations like Voltorb's Explosion. What happens in those situations is the question now.

14. Archaic

Archaic New Member

Regarding Voltorb's move, there's another question that needs to be raised also. What happens when you KO more Pokémon than can fit in the Pokémon Center at once, given that it's still (with Voltorb) theoretically possible to KO 3 Pokémon a turn?

15. hectagonman

hectagonman New Member

Well, the rule book states that surround has to be done all by your figures. So your model/graph thingi is wrong.

16. Luxatos

It looks correct to me, or would if it weren't for the rule about not being able to surround more than 1 at a time. Each black piece (B) is each completely surrounded by white pieces (W).

But that's NOT what this topic is about, I just used it as an example because it was just the only way I could think of off the top of my head to KO more than 1 Pokemon at a time.

That goes hand-in-hand with my question, and the answer to one would answer the other. Who chooses what order they go into the Pokemon Center, and thus the order that they come out?

17. kalisco

kalisco New Member

Let common sense prevail!
    As you are the one attacking, it seems reasonable that you should decide in what order the knockouts should take place, and thus in what order they should go to the Pokemon Centre.

18. Archaic

Archaic New Member

The rulebook doesn't say that you have to use every single figure you have to do a surround, only that they are totally surrounded by your figures.

In any case...I'm inclined to agree with the poster above. The player whose turn it is, and who presumably instigated an attack, should get the choice of which figures are KOed, and in which order.

19. Burninating_Torchic

I think the decision should belong to the owner of the voltorb, not the person whose turn it is, because those aren't necessarily the same person.
    If Pikachu attacks Voltorb and Voltorb explodes, it should be Voltorb's player's choice, not Pikachu's.

20. therage

therage New Member

i think that you are wrong.
    i dont even play this game and i KNOW that youre wrong.
    CHOCOLATE RAIN.....SOME STAY DRY AND OTHERS FEEL THE PAIN.