Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Koga's Koffing Lv.15's Obscuring Gas dillema

CrocGG

Hello, everyone! Good noon.
I've searched the Compendium for this kind of question, and haven't found a proper answer, so I'll ask here:
The attack of Koga's Koffing lends 30 damage to the Defending Pokemon, but has an additional catch: to flip a coin and if Heads is called out, Koffing and all cards attached to it are shuffled back to the deck.
In a scenario that the bench is empty and the only Pokemon in play is that Active Pokemon, I don't know which of the following scenarios is the correct one:
1) Obscuring Gas can't be used in that case ( as much as Scoop Up can't be voluntarily used if you don't have any Pokemon in the bench). Only Smokescreen can be used.
2) You only do the damage and skip the flipcoin (the most improbable option in my opinion).
3) Obscuring Gas can be used, and flipping the coin will risk the player of LOSING the game if getting heads.
Thanks for answering!

There is nothing in the text that states the player must have a Benched Pokemon in order to use Obscuring Gas. So having no Bench would not prevent the use of the attack.
When attacking you do as much as you can. Since nothing would prevent the coin flip, a flip is done.
# 3 is the correct answer. Obscuring Gas can be used, a coin if flipped, and if heads, Koga's Koffing & all cards attached to it get shuffled into the deck.

Back