Lan-Turn 1

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by TheDeuce, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Okay, I'm not insane, so I'd never use this deck IRL, but this idea popped into my head, and I just ran with it, it's more of a fun deck, but I dunno, it might be able to win something... somewhere...

4 Team Aqua's Lanturn
    3 Aerodactyl ex
    - 7 pokémon

14 Lightning Energy
    4 Aqua Energy
    - 18 energy

4 Mysterious Fossil
    4 Claw Fossil
    4 Root Fossil
    4 Archie
    4 Bill's Maintenance
    4 TV Reporter
    2 Professor Birch
    3 Potion
    3 Strength Charm
    3 Crystal Shard
    - 35 trainers

Okay, the whole thing about this deck is that it guarantees 50 damage on the first turn in every game (assuming you play it right).

First turn, with fossils as your only pokémon to start with, play Archie, to get out Aqua's Lanturn, use Auxilary Light to get a Lightning on Turn', and then play Aqua Energy on it, and there you go, first turn 50 damage (Most likely 2nd and 3rd turn too...) Assuming your opening hand includes Archie, Aqua Energy, Lightning Energy, and a fossil to start the game with you're all set, and since you'll technically never draw a basic in your opening hand, you can just mulligan until you get the cards you want.

I've got Aero ex in there, because I wanted someone besides Lanturn to attack with, and since I can't play basics and keep the strategy of the deck, I went with Aero ex.

Potion's there to pick up the damage from Auxilary Light, Strength Charm is actually very useful, great to surprise your opponent with. and Bill's Maintenance works because if you draw Aqua's Lanturn, you're gonna need to shuffle it back into your deck.

Anyway, I don't expect this deck to actually win anything, but it is fun to blast a Dunsparce first turn before they even have a chance to 'Strike and Run'. So, all Torchics, Skittys, Ralts', and even Suicune ex, and Rayquaza ex (pending Shard) look out! :D

2. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

this deck would be hilarious in the amount of first-turn kos it can potentially pull off. i think it can actually win something, all i have to do now is proxy aero ex and test it. it looks like an awesome machine, but one thing is that they can pull off a strike and run if they win the flip.

3. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Wow this looks cool. If you go first and they just have Wynaut or Dunsparce you win. The one problem is if you keep mulliganing than they are more likely to get more than 1 basic. Could be competitive. You can add more attackers so it has chance mid and late game as long as you keep no real basics. Fossil evos and other Aqua pokemon.

4. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

I would suggest Shaman, because i think there hand will be huge after you decide on the perfect hand.

5. nikePK

nikePK New Member

truk, if u win on t1, its fine if they have a big hand lol.

Yeah, if you go first, that's awesome, but after mulliganing, they're destined to have more than 1 basic. And I know that I only lay out 1 basic if I know I'm going first (which u determine before u draw... so yeah). If going 2nd, u can be sure there is 2 basics out. Though this can be nice with Shamans though to keep your opponent down as u do t1 50, then t2 50s with 3 lightning or so (aux light gives u this ability).

Really cool deck idea, you should try and make this a tourney winner. Going 2nd really hurts badly, but since u can grab a great opening hand, u should be able to do alright.

6. AbsolutelyNobody

AbsolutelyNobody New Member

The only prob w/ a first turn shaman is that you cant use archie, but it still is a good idea. Another idea is that you have prof birch, and cances are, you will have a big hand filled w/ trainers, but, i dunno. I think this does have tourney capibilities, but will need some back up, like you said. I think I may just test this deck. Congrats on a very original idea!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  7. Dek

Dek New Member

dear god, Deuce. IT'S NUTS. Possible 50 damage turn 1? What kind of psycho are you? But then i remembered a quote from a very famous comedian *cough* Robin Williams *cough*. "So I said to myself 'Could be fun... Make a great story at a bar...' "

I would suggest (maybe) an Azurill or 2 just to get more fossils out.

8. nikePK

nikePK New Member

zero, i think the fossils are just in there so he has basics in the deck lol. They allow him to get the perfect hand basically. Hopefully anyway.

9. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

they let him use archie to get out lantun, then they discard themselves, kinda like retreating. that way, he needs no free-retreat basics, and he can get a perfect hand.

10. dld4a

dld4a Feature Writer

With all the fossil decks you have been working lately I think one of those little suckers has crawled into your brain and is swimming around in there. :lol:
    It looks pretty good, think it may need a heavy hitter 4 or 5 turn. What about Rare Candy/Armaldo?
    What do you think about Tech. mach. Gamma? I think it will work good with the fossils.

11. Physics Squirrel

Physics Squirrel Active Member

zero- putting in azuril would cripple his ability to mulligan infinitely until he gets a perfect hand.

If you want a heavy hitter, I'd go with Omastar (SS Hydrocannon). He evolves from a fossil too. I also suggest some DRE's, it may be helpful to have more than just the Aq'energy.

I'll seriously consider playing this deck, lol, that's a compliment.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  12. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

This deck is twisted.... Spectreon likes....

13. Hot Mustid

Hot Mustid New Member

if this deck is played right, it could do some serious damage. Awww man if they start off with a sparce there like yay i get all my guys. but then u ohko him first turn, ahahahahahah if i had the cards i would at least make this deck :p

if anyine knows of this deck being played in a tournament near them, always try to play more than 1 basic lol. it could cause you the game.

14. Ez1

Ez1 New Member

the deck idea shows some real imagination......

however.......

someone needs to run some statistical data on the
    odds of getting all 4 cards in one draw......
    probably????? less than 5% or 1 in 20(this is a guesstimate)
    plus the 50/50 chance of going first.....
    plus your opponent only having one basic......

could this be comboed with Newman's folly??????

15. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

It's really not that hard, with 12 fossils, and 14 lightning, you'll almost always pull one of each, the real challenge is getting Archie and Aqua Energy, I usually only have to mulligan like 3-4 times before pulling all the cards, a couple times I had to do 5-6, and then once I actually had to mulligan 17 times @_@. 90% of the times, it's not a problem though.

16. Physics Squirrel

Have you tried Omastar? With a strength charm (and 2 water X/ ) he can OHKO Blazy ex. It's an idea, but I don't know about getting the water energy to fit.

BTW, I'm stealing your idea, except that Omastar was my idea, so if 'Star works... But he prolly won't.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  17. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Cool idea, I thought that Lanturn might be usable. The Omastar idea is really good, cause if you mulligan a few times, your opponent is bound to get a rare candy and try to set up quickly. Cradily is cool too, I used to play it. You can stall with it and get some easy prizes off of Dunsparces, Delcattys, and sometimes Ampharos. Omastar is probably better though.

18. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

the thing is, stage 2 fossil evolvers arent too good. and if everythings not over in the first few turns, then its ggnore for sure soon.

19. Physics Squirrel

I playtested this deck.
    The first two games it totally annihilated my Blazy deck, but the third game, I got 22 mulligans before I got Archie and Aqua energy.

I'm doing some calculations and I think that the chance of getting a hand with Archie and Aqua Energy is about 19% But I'm not sure yet. I'll get back to you on that.

[edit: It's approx. 18.47% chance that you'll draw Archie and Aqua Energy. However, this is assuming that you get a Lightning Energy and a Fossil to start with. It would be a whooooole lot more complicated if I factored that in.]

[edit again: Based on the draws I've been getting, I must've miscalculated. I only get the right hand like 1/15. I'll try and figure it out.]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  20. Physics Squirrel

Alright, if anyone cares anymore, I now think that the probability of getting the right hand is 14.96%. That's about 1/6.69

But my stats skills are horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.