Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

League challenge format announced (official)

pokemonrocks777

Front Page News Editor
Pokémon TCG League Challenge​

League Challenge tournaments are designed to provide players with small, entry-level events on a local scale. These events are a great way to get your feet wet in the world of Premier Events.
In the Pokémon Trading Card Game League Challenge tournaments, players in each of the three POP-recognized age divisions can work toward earning Championship Points, potentially earning an invitation to the World Championships!
The Pokémon TCG League Challenge tournaments in North America will be taking place all year long, usually at the end of each League season. To find times and locations of League Challenge events in your area, click here.
Remember, while we frequently update our events schedule, we recommend that you contact the local Tournament Organizer to confirm event schedule information.

What is the tournament structure?

The tournament is run using the Standard Format and Age-Modified Swiss pairings. See the Pokémon Tournament Rules for information about the Standard Format and Swiss. The number of Swiss rounds to be run will depend on total attendance at the event. Each round of Swiss is a single-game match of 30 minutes plus 3 turns. League Challenge tournaments do not include a Single-Elimination portion; placement in the event is determined by final Swiss standings.

What are the prizes?

Participants will receive 1 Play! Point just for playing!
1st Place

• A first-place League Challenge promo card
  • 15 Championship Points
2nd Place

• A second-place League Challenge promo card
  • 12 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 4 or greater)
3rd Place

• A third-place League Challenge promo card
  • 10 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 8 or greater)
4th Place

• A fourth-place League Challenge promo card
  • 10 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 8 or greater)
5th–8th Place

• 6 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 32 or greater)
9th–12th Place

• 4 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 64 or greater)
13th–16th Place

• 2 Championship Points (if age division attendance is 64 or greater)

Link to the Source

Now that Pokemon has released information about the points available for the League Challenges, how many do you plan to attend to get your Worlds invite?

Last edited:
Can you imagine If the promo was really Tropical Beach instead of Scyther from Dark Explorers? People would go absolutely nuts over getting their copies in this League Challenge Format. Still my local Pokemon League's been doing something similar to this where they hold monthly Modified Tournaments so this is a great way to get more engaged into Pokemon League IMO.

When can TO's start scheduling these League Challenges? And is it still up to each TO to run them Swiss style best 2 out of 3? Since there is no top cut associated with these League Challenges, my League members prefer the best 2 out of 3 since variance will play a huge factor in best of 1 0 minute rounds.

...And is it still up to each TO to run them Swiss style best 2 out of 3? Since there is no top cut associated with these League Challenges, my League members prefer the best 2 out of 3...
I would think not, since that announcement specifically states
Each round of Swiss is a single-game match of 30 minutes plus 3 turns.

wait i have to pay to play in these and all i get is a bad promo card and championship points? what a rip off they need to go back to how it was pre diamond and pearl

My guess would be that if TO's decide to charge that the fees charged would translate into additional prizes. It adds to your "equation" on holding League Challenges, I guess.

Considering TO's are free to charge for ordinary Sanctioned Tournaments (even Jr/Sr) and dream up appropriate prizing.....doing this for a LC is the same thing just on a more Premier level. First place is 15 CP's no matter how many show up....I'm sure it'll attract some people who don't care about winning a few packs.

(Previous Battle Roads prizes was 1 box among 3 divisions. Figuring a box costs $90, that would be 18 players total at $5 each.)

Emails went out from Play Pokemon to a several LL/TO for the League Challenges. Check your emails! It contains the instructions to sanction the tournament!!!!!!

there is a list of approved league IDs on the OP league forum, which all LL/LOs should have access to. if your league is on that list and you haven't gotten an email yet, be patient...apparently the emails are going out in waves.

there is a list of approved league IDs on the OP league forum, which all LL/LOs should have access to. if your league is on that list and you haven't gotten an email yet, be patient...apparently the emails are going out in waves.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought an TO can organize League challenges but NOT LL/LO unless they are also TO

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought an TO can organize League challenges but NOT LL/LO unless they are also TO

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I'd like to know if this is true or not. Trying to get tournaments going at our League but I'm just a LL.

Yes it is true that LL and LO are allowed to run these league challenges as long as there is an TO in site. I am a LL and I am able to run these as my LO is a TO also.

I just want to point out that there is an updated form for the Pokémon Tournament Rules on the support.pokemon.com website under downloads. It tells how ties are determined in the new format.

Back