3 Premier Ball
2 Mr. Stone's
2 Switch
2 TSD

Energy = 16
12 Basic Dark
4 Special Dark

Deck Explanation

This deck is built for play in the Junior age division and relies heavily on power inflicted special conditions to place damage counters that lead to knock out conditions happening at the end of an opponents next turn (when a fresh Poke is then brought out to be inflicted with Special conditions again).

Key Cards

Pachi

Starter -- in perfect game used to pull Iggly / Cacnea / Darkrai on T1 and is then retreated to bench T2 in favour of Iggly for drawing power

Iggly

Back-up Starter, draw card (I'm not 100% sure about the future of this card in the deck as it limits supporter use, but for T2 or T3 it's an excellent draw card for getting out dusk balls for set up)

Wigglytuff

Used to put both Active's to sleep ... if Darkrai is active and Sidney's is in play then Darkrai doesn't sleep and Sleep Hole hits for 80 to 110 depending on Lvl X and special Dark mix

Cacturne

Used for Posion Structure, this takes our Darkrai hit up to 120 (pretty close to a OHKO on it's arch nemisis Gallade)

Darkrai / Lvl X

Obviously the main attacker with support as explained above. Note that based on strategy Endless Darkness is seldom used as Sleep Hole and Darkness Roar are much more controllable over knock out timing

Absol Ex

Used to move damage counters usually from the active to the bench to control when the knock out occurs and to set up other 130 hP Pokes for OHKO. Also not a bad back-up attacker with Psychic Pulse for 30-50 with 10 to the damaged bench.

Island Hermit

Used as searching card as both the Cacnea and Lvl X are single lines so it can help quickly locate them in prize cards a quick sleep hole and you have the card you need. Also a good tech against Gallade although pretty much nothing in the deck other than Wigglytuff will ever need a prize flip from Gallade for a OHKO.

Sidney's Stadium / Scott

Scott is here soley to make Sidney's stadium retrival repeatable and quick. Sidney's is key to both Good Night Melody and Poison Structure

TSD / Premier Ball

TSD is used to get back Darkrai's once two have been knocked out / Premier Ball allows a Darkrai to be leveled up as soon as the Lvl X is knocked out.

Mr. Stone's

As TSD is played instead of NM here, something is often necessary to pull energies back from the discard, orginally had energy restore -- but found it was to "flippy"

Play Testing Results

What Works

The Darkrai circle seems to work very well mid game, almost always can have a Darkrai Lvl X up with one on the bench charging. Can handle knock out timing very well (even after dropping Plus Powers from Deck). Island Hermit works very well in this deck, very seldom go past T3 or 4 without Cacturne Results against G&G have varied, if opponent is slow getting Gallade out, then about 60/40, but with a fast Gallades and the occassional energy drought probably 40/60. Against PLOX as long as there is only one Gallade in the deck it can be easily handled. T2B / Ban Bliss has little chance against this deck. It's probably a little above average in Win Percentage. In the Junior ranks special condition and damage control are a little different strategies, so players often have a difficult time adjusting especially when they bring up big hitters to knock out sacrifices and expose large amounts of attached energy to be KO'd.

What Fails
It's slow to charge the first Darkrai and if Wigglytuff isn't brought out soon enough to cover for this shortcoming, the game ends very badly. Energy droughts were a problem at first until I upped the Basic Energy count to 12 and replaced Energy restore with MSP. Cessation has been a problem too although Pachi can take care of it, its a bit clugey and usually results in a loss of the Pachi.

Questions

Is this deck better played with an Absol starter for disruption rather than Pachi for bench building? If so we could drop the Iggly's run a more stable Supporter line etc? Also a quick 40/50 might not be a bad thing late game especially if you can't quick OHKO the big hitter that's up and you've used up the Absol ex trick.

Last edited:
Nice deck and a very good idea!:thumb:
I built a wigglytuff/magcargo deck about two moths ago, then tried a Weavile/Darkrai deck. I think that your deck has the best from those two decks I had. So...

Take out Iggly. I never needed to attack with Wiggly. Even if wanted to sacrifice her, I'd use her power instead of attacking. This also means you never waste your precious energies in her, except when you want to retreat (and only needs one, so there's no need for charging her in advance).
Iggly is not a good starter either. If you're having problems being beaten in the early game beacause of not having a good start, you'd be better maxing the probabilities of starting with pachi (which leads to...)

Is playing cacturne really worth those bad starts with cacnea? I have no idea.
Is playing Absol EX really worth those bad starts? I would say NO. It's an awesome card, but as backup attacker is not that great. As a starter is worse. When it gets knocked out by magmotar or any other snipping poke, it will make you cry. Moving three damage counters around is a pro that doesn't worth that many cons. Probably plus pow or Stregth charm will do that same work, (that and charging more dark basics on Darkrai)

Have you considered Castaway? I'd go +4 castaway, -2 scott, -1 stadium, -1 celio. Or better yet, you can sort out your supporter line, since Castawaay gets you an energy, and you've got to pick the supporter you need the most, so along with a couple scotts you are searching your deck for what you need when you need it.

I highly recommend using Weavile (SW #40). Try it, it speaks for itself.

OK thanks for help so far:

OK Iggly GE is here to stay, it is far to useful for drawing three cards to be left out it works really well with the Pachi start, after a couple of turns drawing 3 cards then baby evolution and retreat to bench and bring up Darkrai. It's possibly a better starter than Pachi, but for the CC crystal issue Pachi is staying.

The deck is absolutely dependent on a contious and reliable supply of Sidney's Stadium. With the low drawing output of Island Hermit that means Scott needs to always get another Scott when played. This slows things down a bit.

If I drop Caturne for Weaville it becomes a totally different deck, I agree there are some huge advantages of going that way (but then why not just tech Wiggly into BWD). But this is a finesse deck, not a power deck and Cacturne allows for timing of KOs which is quite devestating. As to the problem of running 1-1, it works with Island Hermit. When Cacnea is prized it is a bit of a pain, but you can live with it.

Absol eX -- too much of a good thing, Absol starts are horrible. But throw one extra dark energy on Darkrai Lvl X and sleep hole + poison == DEAD GALLADE -- fantastic!! That gives me two extra spaces. Draw power seems low so I'm going with 2 Felicities for the time being and seeing how that goes. Need to do something with all those extra Pachi's and Wig/Jig/Igllys.

Deck went 5-2 at League with losses to BanBliss and Mag (both Ex starts).

I' m still more than open to suggestions.

I'll edit orginal list.

Thx -- >

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back