Let's have a hurricane!!

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by RainbowRichards, Sep 18, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

Well, the Federal Government in Washington, DC is "closed", MARC train service has been cancelled, so I get to take a forced vacation day :D!

I guess I'll go board up some windows or something while we await the arrival of Hurricane Isabel's wrath... (and maybe sort some Pokemon cards or something)

**wanders off to find hammer and nails**

2. FlipsAreCool

FlipsAreCool New Member

LOL Schools closed here and North Carolina where in a couple of hours she's gonna hit land! At least we live far enough in that we didn't have to evacuate. :(

Flpping Out
    --FlipsAreCool:lol:

3. Squirtle007

Squirtle007 New Member

Lol. Live in hampton and we're watching Isabel's wrath right out of our window. Most people around here are evacuated, but we live high up enough that flooding isn't a problem.

4. RainbowRichards

Wow, Flips, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right about now :(

Well, I "carpented" a nice (if I do say so myself - okay, so only I say so :) lol) cover for the basement walkup to deflect the water away so it doesn't wind up in the sump pump (in case of power failure)... all the garden stuff is stowed, plastic sheds tied down (to the neighbor's fence ;)) - let 'er rip!

Squirtle007 - where do they evacuate to???

5. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

I wish we'd have a hurricane here in Missouri. UMR might actually cancel classes for it.

6. Sensei

Sensei Team Compendium Emeritus Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Yup,forced two days off from work for me too. :thumb:

I live all the way up a hill overlooking the Occaquan River,so don`t have to worry about flooding.Food and water all stocked up,so let `er rip!

`Sensei

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  7. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

Yeah, we had a bunch of rain here in West Chester, Pa on Monday. Now we're battening down the hatches for Isabelle. They had already canceled my Friday classes by Wednesday. I'll still be going to work though.

8. sjmp

sjmp New Member

Living Over Here In The UK We Never (Well Hardly Ever) Have Extreme Weather, It Just Rains Constantly (Although Saying This We Have Had A Good Summer).

AnyWay My Question: Is It Freightning, Exciting Or Just An Inconveiniance?

Hope You Come Out Of It OK.

9. treecko_332

treecko_332 New Member

sjmp, I agree, in california we olny get get mild weather(Earthquakes don't count as weather)

However, missing school does sound fun, but like I said before we only get mild weather here, so the only time we cuold miss classes is something long-term(like a fire or EARTHQUAKES!!!!)and that wouldn't be good.

10. RainbowRichards

Hope you're not hit too hard - I see the storm has changed to a more westerly direction - looks like VA got the brunt of it...we in Maryland may have been spared the worst.

11. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

They survived the Sandstorm, so they'll probably survive the hurricane. :D

12. Eevee234

Eevee234 New Member

Don't forget that each school day missed is another added on to the last day. LOL I still remember the teacher telling us that once there was a teachers strike and the kids have to stay at school till July!

13. Sensei

Hope you're not hit too hard - I see the storm has changed to a more westerly direction - looks like VA got the brunt of it...we in Maryland may have been spared the worst.

Well,we lost power for 2 1/2 hours and it keeps going off just enough to keep ko`ing the computer...winds and rain are strong.but other than that,its ok.

`Sensei

14. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

My sister got out of school 3 hours early yesterday. I can understand that, but today, they had a 2 hour delay, too. As far inland as we are (Western NC), the only damage I've seen so far was some misplaced trailer underpinning and 1 fallen tree. And yet, they get a 2 hour delay. :)

15. Baboon

Baboon New Member

We had a 2-hour delay, and a lot of surrounding schools were closed today... Oh, forgot to tell you, I'm in eastern PA. We barely got the edge of the storm. It stopped raining and being windy by 8 am, and like how many schools closed and wasted one of their few snow days... WHY would you close school?!?!? @_@ Nothing major at all hit us... BUT, I'm not complaining. a 5-hour long Friday is better than a 7-hour Friday. ;)

16. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

Schools here in WA, on the West coast are being closed too!

LOL, jk. I'm homeschooled so it wouldn't matter even if public schools were closed.

17. Dek

Dek New Member

Wow! Now Im glad I live in Illinois.

18. SomethingElse

SomethingElse New Member

well, if you need stuff to board up your house, you always do have spare pokemon cards :)

19. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Make sure you use the heavy ones. Like Onix and Snorlax
    ;)

20. Sensei

Well,we were without power from 6pm last night til 2pm today and there are still alot of others without power yet.Some trees have been uprooted or snapped and a few signs blown down but for the most part everything survived pretty much unscathed.

On the bright side,I actually got to go through and sort my R&S and Sandstorm collection and even finally started reading the book that I had wanted to read but never got around to it. :)

`Sensei