Liberal Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by TeamRocket4Life, Mar 29, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeamRocket4Life

TeamRocket4Life New Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  2. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Iraq isn't al-Qaeda.
    al-Qaeda wasn't recoginized as the governing power of Afghanastan.
    al-Qaeda was recoginized by the UN (and therefore, the "governing" world authority) as a terrorist group.
    Saddam was recoginized as the governing power of Iraq.
    Saddam wasn't recoginized by the UN as a terrorist.
    Iraq isn't al-Qaeda.

Apples and oranges...

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to how Al-Qauda was handled before 9/11.
    Lord knows mistakes were made, but we in American had a kind of belief of invlnerability to terrorist attacks, and there was no political will to do the things that would have had to have been done.

Once you get past 9/11 and get to Iraq, you run into one unmistakable fact that I find unforgivable.

We are knee deep in a war with a widespread terrorist organization with identified cells and networks in many, many countries. We needed to keep our focus on going after that organization. In Afganistan. In Pakistan, in the Phillipines. In African nations. In Saudi Arabia (our, pfft, allies).

We need to hunt down their sleeper cells in the nations of our allies and in our own nation.

We took a HUGE left turn and went off on an adventure in Iraq to depose the ruler that cost our sitting presidient's daddy his second term. We went to clean up poppa Bush's mess.

We now have stretched our focus across too many fronts.
    We have lost our focus on Al Quaeda and its sleeper cells.
    We have lost the good will and cooperation of many of our allies that we sorely need in order to focus on the Al Quaeda network.
    We now have set up a new staging area for Al Quaeda. A place that Saddam kept free of Al Quaeda for the most part BECAUSE HE IS NOT A PART OF THEIR TYPE OF ISLAM! (Most Americans have no concept that the various flavors of Islam do not cooperate with each other. For a Christian example, look at Northern Ireland.)
    We have given our enemies very easy access to strike at us. Before, they would have had to come to our country or one of our bases. Now, they have a whole, underdeveloped country to choose targets from and bite at us.

What bothers me the most is that we are not more safe than we were now that Saddam has been deposed.
    We are LESS safe.

Just look at what happened in Spain to see that.
    Instead of focusing our intelligence and that of our allies on finding these cells and rooting them out, they were ignored while we all played "Find the WMDs" in Iraq.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  4. Moss Factor

Moss Factor New Member

Well said, UncleBob and Pokepop.

5. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Yes, very well said. Besides, the conservatives have their own hypocrisies, too. Like, how about the fact that so many spoke out against nation building, then all of a sudden, what are we doing now in Afghanistan and Iraq?

I really don't want to get into this arguement.

6. TeamRocket4Life

7. I'm a conservative, and I've got to tell you, a great DEAL of the members on this board (At least the active and outspoken ones) are more to the left.

Picking fights with liberal viewpoints and such is a BAD idea here. It generates hatred, and it doesn't matter what viewpoint you're arguing over, they WILL get the upper hand due to sheer numbers. You're more likely to back down because you won't get much support.

I stay away from stuff like this most of the time, but posting this topic titled as it is, especially with such easily refuted criticisms, was a bad idea.

Back down dude. Keep it friendly, I've got a LOT of friends on here that have radically different political views then me, I avoid politics with them for that specific reason.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  8. TeamRocket4Life

yeah, you've got a point there about the numbers.

It was probably a mistake, but i've been involved with political arguements on livejournal for the last month.

I need to remember how to keep my mouth shut.

I should know by now, but no one on any 'net forum (MB or LiveJournal etc.) is ever interested in having their views swayed, challenged, or changed.[/SIZE] Thus, arguing is pointless.

As far as focusing on al-Qaeda goes, i agree that they are what we need to concentrate on.

I also know that we do have a lot of covert operatives in Afghanistan and Pakistan right now, looking for Osama and co. This is not publicized very much, because we don't want Osama to know EXACTLY where we are looking for him.

anyways, sorry about this.

9. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Yeah, let's get this one locked.

10. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

I'll note that I am very open to having my opinions challenged and changed. I don't like those that have knee-jerk reaactions on a subject; liberal or conservative.
    On some issues I hold a liberal view.
    On others, I have very conservative opinions.
    I approach each issue on its own merits.
    But that doesn't mean that I'll flip flop with the wind.
    If you want to change my mind, broad potshots with no logical backing and inappropriate comparisons won't do it.

Anyway, locking as requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.