Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Limit to Energies you can you put on a Pokemon?

Is there a limit to the number of Energy cards you may attach to a Pokemon?

Up until yesterday I had just assumed that you could only attach a number of Energy cards equal to or less than the number of Energy symbols next to the attack names on the Pokemon cards.

So, for example, the Grope and Scratch attacks on Sentret each have a single colorless Energy symbol to the left of their attack names. I took that to mean that you could only attach a single Energy card to Sentret.

But yesterday at Pokemon League, a player attached many more Energy cards to his Pokemon than the number of Energy symbols on the Pokemon card. He did this so he would have a "cushion" of Energy cards which would allow him to pay a retreat cost and still have more than enough Energy cards for all of the attacks on the card. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. But is it legal?

I looked in the Rulebook to see if this was allowed, and couldn't find any reference to a limit on the number of Energy cards a player can attach to a Pokemon.

There is no restriction on the number of Energies you can attach to a Pokemon. In fact, there are some Attacks that do extra Damage for each Energy attached that is not used to pay the cost of the Attack. You are of course limited to the one per turn normal Energy Attachment restriction, unless you have a Power or Attack that allows for extra attachments that turn.

BDS

Back