Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Looking at deck, before shuffling

Since this is not a card ruling question, I've moved it to the Judges Chambers.

This occurrence is not called out specifically in the Penalty Guidelines, but one would be guided to one of two different paths, depending on the circumstances.
Those two paths are "Game Play Error" and "Unsporting Conduct - Cheating".

Reading the general information on "Game Play Error" describes situations where a player does something by mistake. Either through miscalculation, misunderstanding, or a simple "brain fart". It is not for actions that are deliberate and premeditated. There are three levels of this, Minor, Major, and Severe.
"
On the other hand, "Unsporting Conduct - Cheating" are for illegal game actions that were taken on purpose that can (CAN, not WILL) have a benefit to the player. There are no levels for this. You are either cheating, or you are not.

Now, I can see some circumstances where a novice player might not understand what they are doing, thinking that it is legal to look at cards at a time like this. There are rare circumstances when I might allow that an experience player was having a "brain fart" and looked without thinking through what he was doing.

But, in most cases, I don't see how one gets away from the fact that this is cheating.
Stupid, low-benefit cheating? Yes.
But cheating, none the less.
And there is one and only one penalty for Cheating. And that is DQ

If I were to take pity upon a mindless, befuddled, scrub of a player, at the least, I would asses a (Multi-) Prize penalty.
But they would understand that they were getting a slap on the wrist and would get a DQ the next time.

Back