looking for a hotel close by.

Discussion in 'Conventions' started by chuzzoe, Apr 14, 2008.

1. chuzzoe

chuzzoe New Member

Hello to all,

I am curious to anyone who has gone to Nationals before and stayed at a hotel away from the convention center. Since many of the hotels at the convention center are filling up do any of you have suggestions for a family needing to stay at an away location? I am looking for a hotel in a good area that is safe for a family who knows nothing about this area? Can any one help us out and direct us to a hotel where others might be staying at.

Thanks,
    chuzzoe

2. GUERO51

GUERO51 New Member

It depends on what price range you are looking at. The usaul price for rooms are $126-150 a night. We stayed at the Renaissance last year sine everything else was booked up. It goes for $126 a night but it is a nice hotel that has a nice pool area that you can see down onto the street. It's about 3 blocks walk to the convention. Just make sure you have everything you need before you leave because walking back bites. Rooms are top notch. It also has a nice gym next to the pool. I'm looking forward to staying there again. There is also a bus/trolley that picks you up at the hotel and takes you to the convention center but by the time it makes it rounds to the other hotels you could have walked and gotten there faster, your choice.
    I just reserved my room at the Renaissance and it was $133 a night, make sure you mention the code GAM because the convention blocks out alot of rooms. The 2 queen beds are filling up fast. Don't wait to long.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. Scizor

Scizor New Member

If you got to the Origins website there still could be some rooms available through there with the discount. We stayed at the Renaissance for a night last year and it was the best hotel I've stayed in Columbus. I reccomend it.

4. Nu Gundam

Nu Gundam New Member

Since I am also stuck in the hotel bit, I decided to do a check for the Renaissance and it seems that they still have rooms @ the special Origins Rate. But it is around a kilometer way from the Convention Center, I want to know if walking or using public transportation to commute to the Convention Center is recommended. Though my current priority is to find roommates since apparently I am on my own according to my passenger :rolleyes:

5. The Gorn

The Gorn Active Member

We stayed at a Fairfield Inn up near the University OF Ohio State one time (Olentangy River Road) and it was good for a couple of reasons. One, it wasn't that bad of a drive to the convention center. Two, free parking at the hotel (downtown hotels charge parking, I believe), Three, the hotel was very nice.

I got a good deal on it, but that was back in 2004. Not sure what rates are like now.

6. GUERO51

GUERO51 New Member

Walking there is faster than waiting for the trolley/shuttle. Besides, a walk will get your blood pumping and awaken your senses for the tournament. If I'm not mistaken this hotel is the first stop for the shuttle. This hotel is top notch. VERY NICE POOL and gym. The rooms are awesome.

7. Rocketman

Rocketman New Member

Book it. You won't find one closer. Next year, do this in January. If you can get some roomies with a car, you can drive up and split parking fees. Some hotels have shuttles, or for that short, a cab there and sometimes you can hitch a ride back. If you play your cards right, ( heh) you can hook up with someone and hitch a ride back and forth, splitting the parking fees.
    If you can find a ride to share, the airport hotels will be cheaper and only about 10 minutes.
    Jose, when during Origins do you go to the gym? :)
    Good luck.

8. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

I usually book my hotel room but not my flight until I am positive I am going, this way, I can still cancel out of my hotel room. It doesnt cost anything to do this so that is good.

Nu Gundam - I have stayed far enough away where I have not wanted to walk. You can take a cab which only cost about 5$ each way. It isnt too bad.

JMO,
    Drew

9. Nu Gundam

Nu Gundam New Member

Truth to be told, I am better off to just find someone from Pokegym with an extra space for me to stay as I don't think I will be able to find 3 other person to fill the room if I were to book now. I guess I will have to blame my passenger for not thinking ahead enough ... he should've at least figure out that the person driving him all the way from Toronto to Columbus and back needs a place to stay too :rolleyes:

10. evil psyduck

evil psyduck Moderator Trader Feedback Mod

Let me get this right. You are giving him a ride and you can't even stay with him? I would tell him to find his own ride.

11. Nu Gundam

Nu Gundam New Member

Well, he is not completely to blame since he pretty much set everything up with others and me driving him was somewhat an afterthought (as he intended to take the Greyhound in the first place, I decided to go around a few weeks ago because I am interested in playing in the Professor Cup and the convention itself)

PS. Well, there's the "dump him in Cleveland on the way back as revenge" option if all comes to worst >>; In fact, I can always use the "since I can't find a place to stay, so I won't be going" option if all comes down to that. (I still haven't bought the pass, so I have plenty of options to go around)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  12. ilikegengar

ilikegengar Member

hotel room

Hi

We just booked a room at the Hawthorn Suites, columbus west. Thru Expedia.com it's $60/ $65 a night for the days we'll be in Columbus. It's about 10 miles from the convention center so it's about a 12 minute drive. The room has 2 queens, a refrig, I think a couch, indoor pool, free breakfast. We stayed just as far away last year and drove in each morning. We found that quite easy. I'm not sure on the "neighborhood" but when we asked our travel agent she didn't balk.

Good luck!

13. Prof Clay

Prof Clay New Member

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Red Roof Inn on the north end of OSU. Rooms were about $60 a night. Very decent rooms. It was a short drive to the convention center. The only real problem was parking as it can be pricey per day.

14. Tank68

Tank68 New Member

We stay at the Knights Inn & rooms run about $30 something a night for double beds. Its about 10 minutes away, large rooms, & its always empty! Weve stayed there 4 years in a row.

~Melissa~