Lusby, MD: Crystal Guardians

Discussion in 'Prerelease Tournaments' started by ninetales1234, Jul 10, 2006.

1. ninetales1234

ninetales1234 <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Pokemon battle right before the end of the 2005-2006 year!- At the largest Pokémon TCG league on the East Coast! The prerelease at Aardvark Gym is just around the corner!
    For those of you who can't go to Worlds, there are still plenty of fun Pokemon things to do on August 20th!

Aardvark Gym, the 11th largest league in the World, and the league that holds 2.4% of all POP-sanctioned tournaments in the US, will be having its fourth Premiere Event. It is open to anyone who knows how to play Pokémon TCG.

300 Clubhouse Drive
      Lusby, MD 20657

• Time: Sunday, August 20th- Registration begins at 12:00 p.m. Drafting starts at 1:00 p.m. Late players will be given losses for the rounds they missed- no exceptions.

• Contacts:
      Aardvark VCG's Website- theanteater.com
      Judges- ninetales1234 (HJ) and aardvarkvcg

• Format:Limited- Sealed Deck
      You'll be getting boosters from the latest Pokemon TCG set- EX: Crystal Guardians. Aardvark's will provide basic energy.
      I would recommend reading the set spoiler on Pokebeach before you attend.

• Tournament Style: Straight Swiss (n+2)

• Admission: $20; you get six boosters and:
      -Pre-Release pin
      -Special Pre-Release promo card
      -A Pokemon Organized Play deck box
      -Cool prizes! Look for door prizes throughout the day and our traditional Sportsmanship Award as well! We have EX Deoxys sign we are giving away!
      -At the end of the tournament, I will randomly select 6 players, who will receive two random rare Japanese cards!
    • Prizes:
      I'll be giving 2 random Japanese Rares and an Ancient Mew to 1st place.

2 Crystal Guardians boosters for those who complete the event, in addition to the origninal 6 you get for signing up.
      This is a sanctioned event, so you will be playing for ratings and rankings. Some of the highest ranked players in MD will probably be there; you don't want to miss a chance to play (and possibly defeat) them.

• Make sure you come with:
      -Something to write with (to record your wins/losses)
      -Extra money if you want some food (we sell ice cream and soda).
      -Damage counters and coins (or dice) for coin-flipping.

• Additional Info: Don’t forget to be there on time and don’t forget your POP ID#. If you haven’t become a POP member yet, come early so we can sign you up and give you a POP ID#. Membership is free. Our game room will be closed to all non-Pokemon activities on the day of the prerelease (there will be no Dump Draft tournament that day). If you have any questions about the prerelease or anything about Aardvark Gym, post in this thread or PM me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  2. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

So, dice for randomizing are out of the question? :rolleyes:

3. ninetales1234

Ah ha! I missed something! Sorry, will edit.:smile:

Despite our large size, we have, for the most part, a very liberal tournament staff. We want our tournaments to be as fun and run as smoothly as possible. Dice have never caused us any trouble, and I don't see it happening any time soon. This is the way it always is at our league, and I'm sure Exeggcutor players will like it (Roll 11 dice at once or flip one coin 11 times? I know which one I would rather do).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  4. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I know what they made me, player of Eggs, do. Of all the dice I would have suspected of being manipulated, I didn't think OP's dice would be in that list :eek: :rolleyes: .

Too bad Eggs is leaving the format. Now I've got to find another deck.

5. Aardvarkvcg

Aardvarkvcg New Member

Come on Shadow "when fossils attack"
    It has now been tried in one of our Gyms and not by me. Could be your next deck.
    I hope to see you at our prerelease.

6. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

I will not be able to come because I'm dead. Sorry.

Well, I guess I could come, but don't complain if Aardvarks smells all corpsey afterwards.

7. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

Come on, I run two leagues. I'm lucky if I can find the time to get a good idea off the ground. I made a deck of all french cards but apparently the only thing it is good at is retreating. Sad thing is, you probably think I'm joking :/
    errr... no. I'm not into playing a deck that will make me the target of every penalty a judge can toss at me (Doesn't help that Dave doesn't approve of the deck either).

Good thing it isn't the same weekend as Midlothian. It makes yours very tempting. Decision will be made by the driver though (most likely the Princess).
    Please note that Midlothian's prerelease is August 12th. :wink:

8. OLD_SCHOOL_PLAYER

OLD_SCHOOL_PLAYER New Member

for any prerelease, does like ur parent have to pay anything to get in also?

9. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

If your parent wanted to play in the prerelease too, an additional twenty dollars would have to be paid. If your parent just wants to stick around and watch, then they don't have to pay for anything.

10. ninetales1234

Observers are allowed, but (in some cases) discouraged- because we want as many people playing as possilble, we want to get you to buy cards at our store- we want your money!

But, really, there's no reason to just sit there and never play- unless you happen to get much more pleasure watching than playing (which I totally understand). If you bring someone with you, get them to play! Use social pressure, use bandwagon or ad populum fallacies (point to them that most people in the room are playing), call them cowards if they don't play, [del]use threats of violence[/del], [del]spit on them[/del], offer to teach them how to play, offer to pay their entry fee in exchange for giving you their new cards after the tournament, [del]tell them Pokemon will help them understand the meaning of life[/del], tell them it helps enhance reasoning/logic and understanding of probability- Do whatever you think will get them to play.

Observers are encouraged; that is, those with an interest in learning how to play.

11. SuicidalPikachu

SuicidalPikachu New Member

Blackmail them!!! It ALWAYS works:biggrin:

12. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

You need to realize that many parents have little interest in the game itself. They are there because their child wants to play and they don't want to leave them alone. Any additional expense other than the time spent at the event often discourages the parents from even bringing their child to events.

It is perfectly acceptable and not frowned upon in any manner for your parent to not play and stay with you while you are at the event, especially if you are younger.

13. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

Running two leagues, I encounter many parents who have no interest in the game; a good number of said parents begin to take interest and are beginning to participate in league play :cool: .

14. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

My point is that if uninterested parents don't want to play, they shouldn't feel pressured to.

15. Darkelf1313

Darkelf1313 New Member

Yes, the princess is driving, and yes, unless something comes up, we will be there

oh that is going to be a rough drive....shadowcard, you will have to be on your best behavior or I am likely to kill you after a drive like that LoL

:)

16. ninetales1234

So we have at least two people from out-of-State coming! Yay! This is certainly not a first, but, it's good to know our out-of-State numbers will be pretty good (especially if we can get the NC/VA PTOs to come to our premiere events).

Of course. I make the offer to every parent that shows up at our league to teach them how to play. I am usually turned down, but I'll never stop.

So, I say to all parents out there: bring your child and bring your money!:smile: Pokemon is a kid's game, it's an adult's game, it's for everybody! Don't let the fact that most 40+ people don't play Pokemon (and therefore it is "abnormal" or "unnatural" for you to want to) stop you! Pokemon families (yes, entire families of Pokemon players) exist, just read these forums- they're out there. Pokemon is good for your kids; it helps them interact with other people, it makes them smarter. So, if your child like Pokemon, then, by all means, take them to Aardvark Gym (and if you have more than one, take them all!) and, most important, bring your money!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin::biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

17. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I don't know what you're talking about :rolleyes: . Actually, I'm really not sure :/

Yes, I usually emphasize the value, to parents, of playing with their children. My family wouldn't/cannot play this game with me. I look at others, who do have people in their family, and really think I'm missing out.

18. totoro

totoro Active Member

I've been to Rockville's events, does that count??:biggrin: Can't make it because of that other tournament going on.. We've got two Saturday events in VA. The first in Midlo on the 12th, then the second in Wbridge on the 26th. There's a little something going on the Saturday in between them...can't quite remember what it is:confused:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  19. ixidor89

ixidor89 New Member

You could come anyway, we'll give you cookies!:rolleyes:

I hope to see anyone who can't come to our prerelease this time at the next one.

20. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

Hope to see you at Woodbridge :thumb:

I hope the place is easy to find. I dislike going to a new place because I'm prone to getting lost :(